Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Status Has Me Worried About Complaining & Getting Booted

Lifetime Status Has Me Worried About Complaining & Getting Booted

Old May 10, 19, 12:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr View Post
Likely my fear is irrational, but still - you'd think Marriott would want to get rid of Lifetimers who don't spend much per night and get a lot of benefits.
This statement suggests that (1) the only reason for Lifetime Status is to reward past loyalty; (2) Lifetime members who find low room rates at full-service properties should be punished; (3) it would be good business for Marriott to renege on its promises; (4) Marriott can do in such a way that other members never find out about it; and (5) Marriott seeks to thrive by engaging in unethical business practices.

None of these hypotheses are valid.
jrpallante likes this.
Old May 10, 19, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
This statement suggests that (1) the only reason for Lifetime Status is to reward past loyalty; (2) Lifetime members who find low room rates at full-service properties should be punished; (3) it would be good business for Marriott to renege on its promises; (4) Marriott can do in such a way that other members never find out about it; and (5) Marriott seeks to thrive by engaging in unethical business practices.

None of these hypotheses are valid.
Think about it though - with respect to points 3 and 4... if I were to get arbitrarily kicked out of LT status, and so did 500 other randoms, would you really take your business elsewhere vis-a-vis the biggest hotel chain in the world? or would you say "meh, the rates are good and the locations convenient, I'll keep staying there and hopefully it doesn't happen to me".

Not that I actually think Marriott would take LT away, but you never know.
rickg523 likes this.
Old May 10, 19, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat/1.5MM, SPG P100, Marriott LTP(P, coming to you in Jan '19), Hertz Prez, CBP GE, et al
I don't know why you would think I'm a serial complainer - I said I rarely complain? 4 times in 10 years. But good idea re: the compliments.
Sorry, I may've read too quickly - I thought those were just examples you were throwing out. I'd hardly be worried about four complaints over 10 years, although it's never a bad idea to try to maintain at least parity between negative and positive feedback with a company you intend to sustain a relationship with over the long haul.
Old May 10, 19, 12:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Think about it though - with respect to points 3 and 4... if I were to get arbitrarily kicked out of LT status, and so did 500 other randoms, would you really take your business elsewhere vis-a-vis the biggest hotel chain in the world? or would you say "meh, the rates are good and the locations convenient, I'll keep staying there and hopefully it doesn't happen to me".

Not that I actually think Marriott would take LT away, but you never know.
If Marriott were to make Lifetime Status a meaningless goal for current members by taking Lifetime Status away after members achieve it -- while still offering Lifetime Status as a published benefit and encouraging members to pursue it -- the consequences for the reputation of Marriott Bonvoy would be devastating.
Old May 10, 19, 1:37 pm

I provide positive feedback every time I pay for a night's stay. Bribing people to do the job you're also paying them to do is not a great strategy, and certainly not one many would subscribe to.
Old May 10, 19, 1:51 pm

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold
If I were you, I would be much more concerned about 1.2 million points given how frequently loyalty programs devalue these days!
Old May 10, 19, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by dimon84 View Post
If I were you, I would be much more concerned about 1.2 million points given how frequently loyalty programs devalue these days!
Points are definitely a depreciating asset.
dimon84 likes this.
Old May 10, 19, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I don't foresee anyone getting booted for chronic complaining - they'll just ignore you first.
Klarity7 likes this.
Old May 10, 19, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat/1.5MM, SPG P100, Marriott LTP(P, coming to you in Jan '19), Hertz Prez, CBP GE, et al
Originally Posted by catocony View Post
I provide positive feedback every time I pay for a night's stay. Bribing people to do the job you're also paying them to do is not a great strategy, and certainly not one many would subscribe to.
So that makes you basically a commodity type - and thereís nothing wrong with that. I look for something more, and recognize that I donít really deserve exceptional performance when I occasionally encounter it if I fail to recognize it at least from time to time.
Old May 10, 19, 9:15 pm

Programs: AC, DL, Marriott, SPG, Fairmont, Best Western
The T&C worshippers will say that Marriott reserve the right at its own discretion to terminate someone's membership for any or no readon. Fear the gods!
Old May 10, 19, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Now that I'm Lifetime Titanium with points out the wazoo I am worried about giving Marriott a reason to kick me out of the program just so they can save money on lounge access/breakfast, and by taking away my points.
I truly mean this nicely, but this is a bit of conspiracy theory or unnecessary worry IMO. In what universe is a multi-billion dollar international conglomerate going to kick a Lifetime member out of the program for using a benefit it touts for being such?

BTW - if you have points out the wazoo, take a vacation & enjoy them

Cheers.
Horace, Newman and polinka like this.
Old May 11, 19, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
This is a bizarre thread.
Old May 11, 19, 4:22 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I spend 125-150 nights a year at Marriott and have LT Titanium status (and current Ambassador status).

I doubt Marriott tracks people who assert the ultimate reservation guarantee, as its a local thing. I'm comfortable asserting the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, 100 percent of the time it's covered. But ....with as many nights as I spend, its a once every 500 nights thing,. So unless you're having really bad luck, I wouldn't stress it.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old May 11, 19, 5:02 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I don't foresee anyone getting booted for chronic complaining - they'll just ignore you first.
exactly. And if you cry wolf too much, a real issue may be ignored too, but that's about it.
Old May 11, 19, 7:05 am

Programs: UA: Platinum, Marriott: Platinum
How often do people actually complain? What does "complain" even mean in this context? Are people frequently lodging formal complaints with Marriott corporate? With individual properties? I stay in Marriotts over 100 nights a year, and I can think of no more than two or three incidents where anything went even remotely wrong. And even then there was no reason complain -- I just had a brief conversation with the front-desk agent or a manager to resolve the issue.

Anyway, I don't think you have to worry about Marriott booting you from the loyalty program.

Search this Thread