Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite guarantee not honored

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Head in the sand defense is not really a reason that the guest shouldn't invoke the guarantee. They can either pay more attention to Elite reservations or they can leave the program.

From the consumer point of view, it's not fair to the OP having did his part to become elite, book on Marriott.com, and pay the published rate only to be met with non-complying accommodations!
It seems at least possible the property was telling the truth, as OP noted even the elite phone line said the reservation showed as 2 doubles. If that’s the case Marriott corporate should be paying the guarantee, not the property.
Kalboz likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:24 pm

Perhaps a little late for OP, but I had a recent experience invoking the elite guarantee, albeit it involved the elite welcome gift. I stayed at a Courtyard in which they failed to offer any welcome gift. I mentioned it the following day when I checked out. FD tried to retroactively offer me 500 points or the F&B credit, which I politely declined. Instead I showed him the T&C. Manager showed up and was slightly confused on what to do. I didn't press him on the cash guarantee (I knew I was entitled $50) so I was surprised when he offered me points. Although, I thought his initial offer was low so I countered his offer which he countered back. In the end, I walked out with 15k.

Last edited by zoqfotpik; May 9, 2019 at 6:34 pm Reason: for clarity
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Just did a one night stay at a Westin.

Booked a king, but was told hotel was oversold and they can only give me two queens. Sure, whatever.

Room was two doubles.

I almost never ask for compensation, but after a bad night of sleep, I was determined to get the $100.

At checkout, first agent said the guarantee is if only I’m walked from the hotel. Pulled up the website with the guarantee and he ran to the manager.

Manager was extremely apologetic about the issue. He also said the hotel has no way to pay me compensation. What?! Is that something they can say? He just outright stated the hotel cannot physically give me 100.

I was offered 20k points as their first offer. Didn’t even try to ask for more since I found that very generous and better than 100, especially as this 20k puts me in a position to be able to get 75k in airline miles from Marriott, which is still my fav use of Marriott miles at this point
dgreen12, KRSW and Brandinho1 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Just did a one night stay at a Westin.

Booked a king, but was told hotel was oversold and they can only give me two queens. Sure, whatever.

Room was two doubles.

I almost never ask for compensation, but after a bad night of sleep, I was determined to get the $100.

At checkout, first agent said the guarantee is if only I’m walked from the hotel. Pulled up the website with the guarantee and he ran to the manager.

Manager was extremely apologetic about the issue. He also said the hotel has no way to pay me compensation. What?! Is that something they can say? He just outright stated the hotel cannot physically give me 100.

I was offered 20k points as their first offer. Didn’t even try to ask for more since I found that very generous and better than 100, especially as this 20k puts me in a position to be able to get 75k in airline miles from Marriott, which is still my fav use of Marriott miles at this point
I believe you have to invoke the guarantee at check in.

FD folks will often fail to ask me what welcome option I want but I would never invoke the guarantee for that. No need to get the person in trouble since I can just tell them up front what I want and there's no harm.

OTOHl, I will invoke it for bed types. I've gotten $100 cash a couple of times. In a couple of other cases, a room miraculously appears. In another case, there was a question and I resolved it for points.

But yes, the hotel can give out cash. But, considering many of these are operated by management companies, the rules will vary from company to company.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

FD folks will often fail to ask me what welcome option I want but I would never invoke the guarantee for that. No need to get the person in trouble since I can just tell them up front what I want and there's no harm.

OTOHl, I will invoke it for bed types. I've gotten $100 cash a couple of times. In a couple of other cases, a room miraculously appears. In another case, there was a question and I resolved it for points.

But yes, the hotel can give out cash. But, considering many of these are operated by management companies, the rules will vary from company to company.
I didn’t know of the guarantee until I went to my room and researched it. It’s never happened before so never knew to look it up.

I also wouldn’t invoke it on the welcome gift guarantee, especially as I either take points or breakfast. Don’t want to beat up a tired FD worker who made a mistake. Room type is a hotel error and not a FD worker error and therefore one I actually decided to inquire about
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
This would be a better way of handling it, but Bonvoy's rule says nothing of the sort.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:05 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by etsmyers
In my 17 years of elite status, I never have had to invoke a guarantee.

Last night checked into the Fairfield inn, Dover, DE. No mention of elite status. Got to my room, 2dbl and I always book a K. scrolling through I find my confirmation for a K.

This am, prior to departing, I discuss it with FD manager who blames the system. I then tell her I am entitled to cash compensation for failure to acknowledge status and also the incorrect room type. She does not believe me and says she will give me points. I produce the elite guarantee page and her only reply is that she will not give me cash until her manager comes in, unknown time.

I had to leave. I had allocated 15 minutes for this discussion and we were now at 20. Now the kicker. I call the illustrious elite line. They say I booked 2 dbl. I tell her I have my confirmation for 1K, oh. She says they will notify the property. Now I am not local. It’s not like I can drive 3 hours to collect $25.

next thoughts? Do I say screw it?

I was just at the Westin Phoenix and had virtually the identical problem. Called for my 4 pm guaranteed checkout at about 6 a.m. on checkout day, and was told: "The manager said that nobody can have a late checkout today." So, I asked for my Elite Benefits Guarantee, and was told, "The manager will approve it when he gets in." I also sent an email to Marriott Customer Service to document that I had asked for the guarantee while I was at the hotel (because the terms and conditions say that you waive it unless you request it while you are there). I got the following from Marriott Customer Service:
Dear Mr. XXX,

I hope this email finds you in good spirits. Thank you for contacting Marriott Bonvoy Customer Care about late check out. I welcome this opportunity to assist you.

The policy you have referred to is for room availability at the time of check in. Sometime we will over sell our hotels and we have to "Walk" a guest, or send them to another hotel. As a Platinum Elite member we should not be walking to another hotel if we are forced to do so then we will pay for the new hotel as well as compensate the guest with 200.00 USD and 90,000 points. However late check out is a bit different, and is not guaranteed prior to check out time. As a Platinum Elite member your benefit is you will not have to pay for a late check out. Please use this link to visit our website to learn more about our Elite Benefit Guarantees.

Mr. XXX, we truly appreciate your loyalty to Marriott Bonvoy as a xxuxx member, and look forward to continuing to partner with you to make everlasting memories, wherever your travel plans may take you.

Best regards,
I responded:
1. I am Titanium, not Platinum;

2. Paragraph 4.3.c, v. of the Program terms and conditions provides: "4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design HotelsTM, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, and Vistana properties are excluded from this benefit."
Are you now saying that this enumerated benefit is not really a benefit? Or that the "Guaranteed 4 p.m. Late Checkout" is not a guaranteed 4 p.m. Late Checkout?

3. Paragraph 4.1.d of the Terms and Conditions states: "Members with Elite Status (“Elite Member”) will receive guaranteed compensation for select Elite benefits in the event those benefits are not available during an Elite Member’s stay (“Elite Benefits Guarantee”)." It is not limited to early check in, but is specifically applied to all Elite Benefits. Paragraph 4.1.d i states: "The Elite Benefits Guarantee in the United States is $200 U.S. dollars, even if more than one guaranteed benefit is not delivered to the Elite Member." Thus, the Elite Benefits Guarantee applies to all Elite Benefits, not merely early check in.
I am waiting for a response.
Bigshaker likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Hoc
I was just at the Westin Phoenix and had virtually the identical problem. Called for my 4 pm guaranteed checkout at about 6 a.m. on checkout day, and was told: "The manager said that nobody can have a late checkout today." So, I asked for my Elite Benefits Guarantee, and was told, "The manager will approve it when he gets in." I also sent an email to Marriott Customer Service to document that I had asked for the guarantee while I was at the hotel (because the terms and conditions say that you waive it unless you request it while you are there). I got the following from Marriott Customer Service:

I responded:

I believe there is no set cash compensation for failure to provide elite late check-out. You are however entitled to a service recovery gesture.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
I always find these threads fascinating and am amazed at the success some have in getting them resolved. I have been Marriott Elite for a very long time - previously Plat, now Lifetime Titanium. In my experience that is acknowledged about 80% of the time at properties across the spectrum. Sometimes it is really worthwhile, other times it is irrelevant. Of the times that it is acknowledged the current "gift" is almost always points. Gone are the days of cheese platters, glasses of wine, drinks in the bar, etc. The points seem to vary between 500 and 1000, and they only post about 50% of the time. I have never successfully resolved points not posting in these cases... I send the complaint, they issue a ticket number and that's the last I ever hear of it. I am currently in a brand new TownePlace Suites in upstate New York. Nice hotel (although with some housekeeping issues), but no mention of elite status at check-in and of course no upgrade. I suggested there should be some points or something, but the front desk manager was not aware of this. Not worth pursuing IMHO.
KRSW and nequine like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
I always find these threads fascinating and am amazed at the success some have in getting them resolved. I have been Marriott Elite for a very long time - previously Plat, now Lifetime Titanium. In my experience that is acknowledged about 80% of the time at properties across the spectrum. Sometimes it is really worthwhile, other times it is irrelevant. Of the times that it is acknowledged the current "gift" is almost always points. Gone are the days of cheese platters, glasses of wine, drinks in the bar, etc. The points seem to vary between 500 and 1000, and they only post about 50% of the time. I have never successfully resolved points not posting in these cases... I send the complaint, they issue a ticket number and that's the last I ever hear of it. I am currently in a brand new TownePlace Suites in upstate New York. Nice hotel (although with some housekeeping issues), but no mention of elite status at check-in and of course no upgrade. I suggested there should be some points or something, but the front desk manager was not aware of this. Not worth pursuing IMHO.
that’s exactly what these shady hotel management companies want.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:26 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by etsmyers
In my 17 years of elite status, I never have had to invoke a guarantee.

Last night checked into the Fairfield inn, Dover, DE. No mention of elite status. Got to my room, 2dbl and I always book a K. scrolling through I find my confirmation for a K.

This am, prior to departing, I discuss it with FD manager who blames the system. I then tell her I am entitled to cash compensation for failure to acknowledge status and also the incorrect room type. She does not believe me and says she will give me points. I produce the elite guarantee page and her only reply is that she will not give me cash until her manager comes in, unknown time.

I had to leave. I had allocated 15 minutes for this discussion and we were now at 20. Now the kicker. I call the illustrious elite line. They say I booked 2 dbl. I tell her I have my confirmation for 1K, oh. She says they will notify the property. Now I am not local. It’s not like I can drive 3 hours to collect $25.

next thoughts? Do I say screw it?
somehow the words ‘elite’ and Fairfield Inn in the same sentence seems a bit strange, St Regis or LC yes but Fairfield inn, sorry I don’t think so
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by fdem

somehow the words ‘elite’ and Fairfield Inn in the same sentence seems a bit strange, St Regis or LC yes but Fairfield inn, sorry I don’t think so
Have you stayed at a Fairfield Inn (FI)? Granted the accommodations are much more basic than a St. Regis, LC, etc.; however, they still have different grades of rooms. I have received more unsolicited upgrades to a suite at a FI property than any other Marriott brand. I.e great elite status recognition. For the record most FI suites are really junior suites with a partial wall separating the sitting area from the sleeping area. Nevertheless still very nice. For those of us who travel outside of major metro areas, FI is frequently one of the better options. Each to their own....

--Jon
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Hoc

I responded:

Members with Elite Status (“Elite Member”) will receive guaranteed compensation for select Elite benefits.

The room guarantee, bed type, and lounge access all have payouts enumerated. So I think those are the "select" benefits with compensation.

I sure wish they would do similar for late checkout, since it seems far more common to be denied, compared to the other benefits. And as you've seen, it's a guaranteed benefit in name only, with no teeth behind the guarantee.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Hoc

I responded:

Is Westin Phoenix a convention hotel? If so, the 4 pm checkout is based on availability.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is Westin Phoenix a convention hotel? If so, the 4 pm checkout is based on availability.
where can you find if one is a ‘convention’ hotel? Does it mention that when reserving?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.