Elite guarantee not honored

Old May 8, 2019, 6:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm quite frankly surprised that when you all check in, you don't simply ask the FD what bed type they gave you if they don't proactively tell you. I always ask what kind of room and bed type - it is automatic for me.
I've stayed with Marriott and/or Starwood for 27 years. I've never asked that question. I guess I've never felt the need since I've only received the wrong bed less than five times I'm sure.
JBord likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
If my confirmation email said King, I assume it will be king. Why do I still need to ask to confirm again at check in?
If I receive the wrong bed type, then I would pick up the phone and address the issue.
Horace and JBord like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by blueflyer3
The BBB is a joke. They're the pre-internet version of Yelp, extorting membership fees to remove bad reviews.
And you have problems with a MR property not following the rules being treated badly due to bad reviews?
Old May 8, 2019, 9:17 pm

The purpose of the welcome choice guarantee is not to creat gotcha-type situations so that if a FD agent fails to say some sacramental words at a specified moment one gets to earn some cash and some points. Its purpose is to make sure guests do receive, and choose, the welcome amenity. So if the choice is made and the welcome amenity received, even at a later moment during the stay, there should no pay out.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:25 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
It doesn't seem like they offered him anything during the short stay. I'd pursue this with the GM on a principle.

But if they offer you 5,000 or more points, I'd take the points as a fair compensation as they have more value than the $25!
Old May 8, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by allset2travel
If my confirmation email said King, I assume it will be king. Why do I still need to ask to confirm again at check in?
If I receive the wrong bed type, then I would pick up the phone and address the issue.
You know what they say about assume.....

Assume - They make a (well I can't go on)

Google it.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
The only burden on the customer is to book and pay for what they want...in this case a K bed. There is zero duty for the customer to complain immediately if they don't receive what they paid for. This is 100% a situation where either by accident or on purpose, the hotel provides the wrong bed type in the hope that the customer won't complain - usually because they have overbooked kings. Whenever they get called on it, evening or morning, its still a violation.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Score8
The only burden on the customer is to book and pay for what they want...in this case a K bed. There is zero duty for the customer to complain immediately if they don't receive what they paid for. This is 100% a situation where either by accident or on purpose, the hotel provides the wrong bed type in the hope that the customer won't complain - usually because they have overbooked kings. Whenever they get called on it, evening or morning, its still a violation.
It's a "violation," but they didn't really have a chance to correct it which seems to at least be the spirit of the guarantee. That's like complaining about your food at a restaurant after you ate it all.

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Well I for one don't often actually look at the confirmation email after I get it initially (if it's just for a standard business stay). But I know I often book rooms with 2 doubles if that's all that's available or if they're cheaper, but I don't really keep track of it so just ask at the FD what bed type it is/if any Kings are available if I think of it. If not, then I might check my confirmation to see if that's actually what I reserved.
DJ_Iceman, myperks and gasongasoff like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:18 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by GoPhils
It's a "violation," but they didn't really have a chance to correct it which seems to at least be the spirit of the guarantee. That's like complaining about your food at a restaurant after you ate it all.
If the "guarantee" required giving the property opportunity to cure, that would be in the guarantee. The fact that it's not speaks for itself.

It's nothing like complaining about food at a restaurant. There's no subjectivity at issue, either the room is of the bed-type that you booked, or it isn't.
dgreen12, gasongasoff and Toukolou like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by etsmyers
In my 17 years of elite status, I never have had to invoke a guarantee.

Last night checked into the Fairfield inn, Dover, DE. No mention of elite status. Got to my room, 2dbl and I always book a K. scrolling through I find my confirmation for a K.

This am, prior to departing, I discuss it with FD manager who blames the system. I then tell her I am entitled to cash compensation for failure to acknowledge status and also the incorrect room type. She does not believe me and says she will give me points. I produce the elite guarantee page and her only reply is that she will not give me cash until her manager comes in, unknown time.

I had to leave. I had allocated 15 minutes for this discussion and we were now at 20. Now the kicker. I call the illustrious elite line. They say I booked 2 dbl. I tell her I have my confirmation for 1K, oh. She says they will notify the property. Now I am not local. Its not like I can drive 3 hours to collect $25.

next thoughts? Do I say screw it?
this happened to me at a low tier brand last year. I had a confirmation for a king bed, got a queen bed. I called the front desk and the night manager said they only had queen beds at their property...I mentioned the elite benefit guarantee as well and he said he couldnt give me any money until his manager came in at 10am (I was leaving at 6am).

I had to call Marriott about something else a couple days later and mentioned the matter to them. The rep opened a case and about six weeks later a check for $25 from Marriott corporate showed up at my house.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Except that the T&C do not stipulate this! Grantees written by the program and not by the guest! https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi

Guaranteed Room Type: When making a reservation, be sure to note your Member number and room/bed preferences. Well always honor your bed type request at our locations throughout the U.S. and Canada. Everywhere else, smoking/non-smoking preferences are honored based on availability; exact bed sizes may vary, and only Titanium Elite members will have guaranteed priority for their requested type of bed and room. If guarantee is not met, guest compensation applies.

Guaranteed Platinum Elite/Titanium Elite Welcome Gift: Check out this when you check in: As a Platinum or Titanium Elite member, youll receive a special gift upon arrival at participating hotels, with a choice of an amenity gift or points. If guarantee is not met, guest compensation applies.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
If the "guarantee" required giving the property opportunity to cure, that would be in the guarantee. The fact that it's not speaks for itself.

It's nothing like complaining about food at a restaurant. There's no subjectivity at issue, either the room is of the bed-type that you booked, or it isn't.
OK not complaining about the quality of the food, but complaining that you were given the wrong food.

I do agree that technically based on the wording, OP could probably invoke the guarantee. But it doesn't necessarily seem fair to the property since they didn't seem to really know it was an issue until after the fact.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
OK not complaining about the quality of the food, but complaining that you were given the wrong food.

I do agree that technically based on the wording, OP could probably invoke the guarantee. But it doesn't necessarily seem fair to the property since they didn't seem to really know it was an issue until after the fact.
You keep throwing out alternate scenarios that aren't like what actually happened to the OP. Your assertion that "it doesn't necessarily seem fair to the property since they didn't know" is false.

The guarantee is that you get the bed type you reserved, or you get $X. When OP didn't get the room type he reserved, the property broke the guarantee and was due to pay. Their ignorance of their own error isn't a defense.

If Marriott wanted the property to have an opportunity to cure, it would be part of the terms. There are no shades of gray here, the rules are perfectly clear.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
You keep throwing out alternate scenarios that aren't like what actually happened to the OP. Your assertion that "it doesn't necessarily seem fair to the property since they didn't know" is false.
You don't know it's false. According to OP, that's what the property claimed. I already pointed out it's possible that wasn't true, but that is what the property claimed.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:33 pm

Head in the sand defense is not really a reason that the guest shouldn't invoke the guarantee. They can either pay more attention to Elite reservations or they can leave the program.

From the consumer point of view, it's not fair to the OP having did his part to become elite, book on Marriott.com, and pay the published rate only to be met with non-complying accommodations!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.