Elite guarantee not honored

Old May 8, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Amex Plat, National Elite
I had a similar situation at a towneplace.

I was put into a double when I had reserved a K.

They transferred 5000 points.
Toukolou likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I thought it was a fair question, not mean-spirited. If I was the GM getting an e-mail days after a stay complaining that a guest didn't get the bed type they reserved, my first question would be, "Well, it wasn't a big enough deal to say anything about it at the time, they apparently slept in the room just fine, so this sounds like just another whiner."

I'm not saying the OP isn't entitled to the room type guarantee or that the situation is fine. But we are now living with the consequences from sites like this convincing people that they are entitled to "compensation" for every little thing. I can only imagine how many spurious complaints hotel management must get on a daily basis, to the point where I can kind of understand them becoming numb to it. And sadly, when a legitimate situation comes up that calls for compassion and that old Marriott "spirit to serve", it gets lumped in with the rest.
Emphasis mine. By "sites like this" are you referring to Marriott.com? The elite bed type guarantee is straightforward, I don't know in what world expecting a business to follow published rules is illegitimate or "whining."
Old May 8, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
I thought it was a fair question, not mean-spirited. If I was the GM getting an e-mail days after a stay complaining that a guest didn't get the bed type they reserved, my first question would be, "Well, it wasn't a big enough deal to say anything about it at the time, they apparently slept in the room just fine, so this sounds like just another whiner."

I'm not saying the OP isn't entitled to the room type guarantee or that the situation is fine. But we are now living with the consequences from sites like this convincing people that they are entitled to "compensation" for every little thing. I can only imagine how many spurious complaints hotel management must get on a daily basis, to the point where I can kind of understand them becoming numb to it. And sadly, when a legitimate situation comes up that calls for compassion and that old Marriott "spirit to serve", it gets lumped in with the rest.
Yes, if you can't go back to FD and ask to be moved to a K room, then you are accepting the room. 16 hr day or not.
RoyalFlush, YuropFlyer and EdofFX like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm not necessarily going back down to the front desk at 10 pm to argue about bed-type, either. OP raised the issue before leaving the property. This was a clear violation of the bed-type guaranty. I have no patience for these "let's criticize OP for expecting that the property follow the rules" posts.
bbbb, compwhiz, etsmyers and 10 others like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by etsmyers
In my 17 years of elite status, I never have had to invoke a guarantee.

At check-in at a Fairfield Inn in the United States, Canada, Europe, you should be offered a choice of 500 points per or a F&B item. Normally, this is preceded by a statement such as "thank you for being Platinum" or "thank you for your loyalty to Marriott," but that part is not a requirement.

There have been a number of times when I've checked in at a select service property, and the front desk agent only says, "points okay?" and I answer, "that's fine." Technically, the agent failed to offer the choices.

Sometimes, the front desk agent forgets entirely, so I bring up the subject before I leave the desk.

I've never invoked the Welcome Gift Guarantee — but I would not hesitate to do so if I felt the hotel was acting in bad faith.

Last night checked into the Fairfield inn, Dover, DE. No mention of elite status. Got to my room, 2dbl and I always book a K. scrolling through I find my confirmation for a K.
The failure of the front desk agent to tell you that your reserved room type was not honored would be bothersome. The proper, proactive, guest-friendly procedure would be for the front desk agent to apologize, to admit that all king bed rooms have all been given to other guests, and that you're getting $25 compensation due to this. The agent could offer points as an alternative, knowing that travelers on expense accounts might prefer points. If I checked in by myself for one night, I would not be upset by such a scenario.

This am, prior to departing, I discuss it with FD manager who blames the system. I then tell her I am entitled to cash compensation for failure to acknowledge status and also the incorrect room type. She does not believe me and says she will give me points. I produce the elite guarantee page and her only reply is that she will not give me cash until her manager comes in, unknown time.
I believe you can only seek compensation under one guarantee, not multiple guarantees.

As far as giving you points is concerned, I assume that means she would make sure you got the 500-point Welcome Gift, which should have been offered to you the night before.

Or was she offering actual compensation points? If so, how many?

I had to leave. I had allocated 15 minutes for this discussion and we were now at 20. Now the kicker. I call the illustrious elite line. They say I booked 2 dbl. I tell her I have my confirmation for 1K, oh. She says they will notify the property. Now I am not local. It’s not like I can drive 3 hours to collect $25.

next thoughts? Do I say screw it?
Call the hotel manager. In a polite but firm tone, make it clear that you invoked the Guaranteed Room Type Guarantee before you departed form the hotel. Ask for $25 to be credited to your credit card or folio. The manager should be able modify your folio. If your card has not yet been charged, you should only be charged the adjusted amount. If your card has already been charged, you should receive a merchant credit.

Also suggest to the manager that the front desk agent who helped you the night before needs some additional training.

And suggest to the manager that front desk agents should be empowered to provide compensation under the published guarantees.

It seems that the Fairfield inn in Dover, DE is a property to be avoided and not to be recommended.

Last edited by Horace; May 9, 2019 at 10:02 am
Old May 8, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Horace
The failure of the front dark agent to tell you that your reserved room type was not honored would be bothersome. The proper, proactive, guest-friendly procedure would be for the front desk agent to apologize, to admit that all king bed rooms have all been given to other guests, and that you're getting $25 compensation due to this. The agent could offer points as an alternative, knowing that travelers on expense accounts might prefer points. If I checked in by myself for one night, I would not be upset by such a scenario.
Seems this is part of the debate. OP said the hotel "blamed the system." If that's actually true, it's somewhat hard to fault the hotel on the bed type guarantee if they actually did see the reservation as 2 doubles and OP never asked. It's possible they had King rooms to put OP in but thought OP wanted 2 doubles. Not that it's OP's fault for not asking, but OP could have also asked at check-in what the bed size was. I try to do that sometimes if I remember, since I know sometimes I will book 2 doubles if that's all that's available and then ask upon arrival if any Kings are available (and also don't like having to come back down to the desk if I don't need to).
Old May 8, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
There have been way too many reported instances of bed types being wrong (going all the way back to my experience in January) and hotels blaming the system for this to be a coincidence. I believe the system is either changing or not correctly reflecting bed type at some point in the process. This may be a corporate IT issue rather than a property-specific issue.

Since I was given 2Q when I requested 1K, I've saved every confirm email and taken screen shots of the reservation so I can prove that I booked the correct room. Haven't had to use any yet, but I'm guessing that time is coming.
smc333 likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm quite frankly surprised that when you all check in, you don't simply ask the FD what bed type they gave you if they don't proactively tell you. I always ask what kind of room and bed type - it is automatic for me.

Me personally, I would never intentionally stay in the wrong bed type just to invoke a guarantee.
DJ_Iceman, RoyalFlush and Toukolou like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
There have been way too many reported instances of bed types being wrong (going all the way back to my experience in January) and hotels blaming the system for this to be a coincidence. I believe the system is either changing or not correctly reflecting bed type at some point in the process. This may be a corporate IT issue rather than a property-specific issue.

Since I was given 2Q when I requested 1K, I've saved every confirm email and taken screen shots of the reservation so I can prove that I booked the correct room. Haven't had to use any yet, but I'm guessing that time is coming.
having screenshots proves nothing by the way. It only proves that when you booked it was what you requested. One can change it between time of booking until checkin. The chances of that happening is probably not that great. But I can see hotels using this excuse to not pay out on the guarantee if they really want to go down that road.

Having said that, I also take screen shots and save all emails.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by myperks

having screenshots proves nothing by the way. It only proves that when you booked it was what you requested. One can change it between time of booking until checkin. The chances of that happening is probably not that great. But I can see hotels using this excuse to not pay out on the guarantee if they really want to go down that road.

Having said that, I also take screen shots and save all emails.
I do realize that. It's actually exactly what they tried to pull on me when this happened to me in January. I know it was probably just luck, but I showed the confirm email, showed the guarantee with the compensation amount, and then asked if I should call corporate directly to resolve the issue. I assume those things, along with being a Titanium made them decide it wasn't worth the trouble and instead they magically found the King room I had booked.

It's certainly better than having no proof. A logical hotel employee would not say that it makes sense for me to book a King, then change it to Queens, and then complain about the room when I get there. 99% of the time, they would just say "Sorry about that, we'll switch you a King right away". But I realize most people aren't very logical.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.

did you miss the part where in my 17 years as an elite, I have never invoked a guarantee?
Mahogany likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:27 pm

did you miss the part where in my 17 years as an elite, I have never invoked a guarantee?
but does the property know that? (And waiving your tenure as an elite will probably not get you far) I believe DJ was saying from a property perspective it may be what the managers are thinking.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:10 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm quite frankly surprised that when you all check in, you don't simply ask the FD what bed type they gave you if they don't proactively tell you. I always ask what kind of room and bed type - it is automatic for me.

Me personally, I would never intentionally stay in the wrong bed type just to invoke a guarantee.
There’s only so many things you can check at the front desk, surely? Pick your Plat Benefit, check for upgrade, view, room type, bed type, late check-out, included breakfast details, lounge opening hours, Marriott dining discount, happy hours, etc...

I generally listen to what the person at the front desk has to say, give them what they need and go to my room. Sometimes things aren’t right, but more often than not they’re things the front desk have told me are fine in any case.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,

because it was 10pm on a 16 hour day
so it wasn’t that important to you and I dont blame you as I would have just gone to sleep. I mean unless you are 6’7” and a flopper when sleeping a double would work for one night, no?
Old May 8, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Get the correct room type at check-in. If you book a king and they don't have any, then complain immediately. I tend to agree that if they give you a room key and you take it and they don't hear anything until the next day, then the traveler is partly at fault.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.