Elite guarantee not honored

Old May 8, 2019, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Elite guarantee not honored

In my 17 years of elite status, I never have had to invoke a guarantee.

Last night checked into the Fairfield inn, Dover, DE. No mention of elite status. Got to my room, 2dbl and I always book a K. scrolling through I find my confirmation for a K.

This am, prior to departing, I discuss it with FD manager who blames the system. I then tell her I am entitled to cash compensation for failure to acknowledge status and also the incorrect room type. She does not believe me and says she will give me points. I produce the elite guarantee page and her only reply is that she will not give me cash until her manager comes in, unknown time.

I had to leave. I had allocated 15 minutes for this discussion and we were now at 20. Now the kicker. I call the illustrious elite line. They say I booked 2 dbl. I tell her I have my confirmation for 1K, oh. She says they will notify the property. Now I am not local. Its not like I can drive 3 hours to collect $25.

next thoughts? Do I say screw it?
MGUK likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
On principal, I'd email the GM of the property to see if they will make an offer to satisfy the guarantee.

If not, I'd email BBB, the state consumer protection division, etc., cc'ing the GM and Marriott Customer Service.

It may not be worth a 3 hour drive, but it's worth 15 minutes on email.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
For $25 I'd probably say screw it, unless you just want to send an email or something and hope for the best in terms of maybe getting points or something.

When you got to your room, did you call the FD to see if there were any Kings available?
cawhite and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:07 am

Take the offered points and then move on.
cawhite and etsmyers like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
This. Lesson learned.

To the OP, why did you wait until checkout to bring up the issue?
Old May 8, 2019, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
OP how many points were you offered? If you needed 2 doubles and received a king then maybe take the points. In you situation I would not ask for anything but I never turn down points.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Old Hickory
This. Lesson learned.

because it was 10pm on a 16 hour day
strickerj likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Maybe related?

Another Marriott Tech Issue Affecting Reservations
Old May 8, 2019, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by etsmyers

because it was 10pm on a 16 hour day
I guess the OP doesnt want to post how many points were offered??
Old May 8, 2019, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Agree with suggestion you contact property GM. If that doesn't work, burn them on TA.

These properties blatantly ignoring the rules is totally out of control.
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Why are you blaming OP for a clear customer service fail by the property? Mean-spirited has no place on FT.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
On principal, I'd email the GM of the property to see if they will make an offer to satisfy the guarantee.

If not, I'd email BBB, the state consumer protection division, etc., cc'ing the GM and Marriott Customer Service.

It may not be worth a 3 hour drive, but it's worth 15 minutes on email.
The BBB is a joke. They're the pre-internet version of Yelp, extorting membership fees to remove bad reviews.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER

I think the poster who said "take the points that were offered" was just referring to the Welcome points. If OP wanted compensation for both the Welcome Gift guarantee and the Bed Type Guarantee, they'd be asking if it was worth the time for $50, not $25.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER

trust me, I like points too. She only said she will give me some points. I had to leave and did not want to get into an extended negotiation.
Mahogany likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Why are you blaming OP for a clear customer service fail by the property? Mean-spirited has no place on FT.
I thought it was a fair question, not mean-spirited. If I was the GM getting an e-mail days after a stay complaining that a guest didn't get the bed type they reserved, my first question would be, "Well, it wasn't a big enough deal to say anything about it at the time, they apparently slept in the room just fine, so this sounds like just another whiner."

I'm not saying the OP isn't entitled to the room type guarantee or that the situation is fine. But we are now living with the consequences from sites like this convincing people that they are entitled to "compensation" for every little thing. I can only imagine how many spurious complaints hotel management must get on a daily basis, to the point where I can kind of understand them becoming numb to it. And sadly, when a legitimate situation comes up that calls for compassion and that old Marriott "spirit to serve", it gets lumped in with the rest.
hotturnip, cawhite and YuropFlyer like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I thought it was a fair question, not mean-spirited. If I was the GM getting an e-mail days after a stay complaining that a guest didn't get the bed type they reserved, my first question would be, "Well, it wasn't a big enough deal to say anything about it at the time, they apparently slept in the room just fine, so this sounds like just another whiner."

I'm not saying the OP isn't entitled to the room type guarantee or that the situation is fine. But we are now living with the consequences from sites like this convincing people that they are entitled to "compensation" for every little thing. I can only imagine how many spurious complaints hotel management must get on a daily basis, to the point where I can kind of understand them becoming numb to it. And sadly, when a legitimate situation comes up that calls for compassion and that old Marriott "spirit to serve", it gets lumped in with the rest.
Except they literally are entitled to compensation. That's the point of the guarantee. As to why did OP walt until checkout? Because the hotel had until such time to correct the issue and get out of paying compensation. If I check into a hotel and they fail to offer the choice of welcome gift to me, I don't bring it up then, I wait until check out, at which time I request the cash compensation for them not giving me the choice. Many times they will just say, oh we added the points to your account for the welcome gift. And I let them know that was not my choice. Now mobile check-in has pretty much eliminated that, because you basically agree to points when you mobile check-in.

I could see bed size being a little different, because you have to determine if you are willing to sleep in the type of bed that is in your room, and if it is worth the potential compensation the next day, by invoking the guarantee, vs informing the desk that night and having them try to correct the issue. Like the OP, I have also arrived very late at night to a hotel, and walked into a room that had double beds, instead of a king. And I have also been too tired to go back down, and have them try to find me another room with a king bed.

at the end of the day, the OP is entitled to invoke the guarantee. It's a published benefit.
Kalboz and KRSW like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.