Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite guarantee not honored

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by itisme

where can you find if one is a ‘convention’ hotel? Does it mention that when reserving?
It seems to be a secret now, but a lurker might be able to check for you. Having the word convention or resort in the hotel's name is NOT definitive.

Once upon a time, there was a list of convention and resort hotels posted on FT by Starwood Lurker. If you can find that, it should indicate whether the property was a convention hotel at that time.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by etsmyers
because it was 10pm on a 16 hour day
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Yes, if you can't go back to FD and ask to be moved to a K room, then you are accepting the room. 16 hr day or not.
I guess OP didn't understand the FT addenda to the rule, which states that if you don't immediately (within 5 seconds of finding out you were given the wrong room type) contact the Front Desk (waiting on hold for up to 59 minutes if needed) and demand to be moved to the correct room type, you are not entitled to any compensation. In addition, you deserve the wrath of the FT community.

Originally Posted by myperks
having screenshots proves nothing by the way. It only proves that when you booked it was what you requested. One can change it between time of booking until checkin. The chances of that happening is probably not that great. But I can see hotels using this excuse to not pay out on the guarantee if they really want to go down that road.

Having said that, I also take screen shots and save all emails.
Actually, in this day and age nothing proves anything. A screenshot doesn't prove you booked it. You can just make it up. Like how people make their own boarding passes (if you are more sophisticated).
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils
It's a "violation," but they didn't really have a chance to correct it which seems to at least be the spirit of the guarantee. That's like complaining about your food at a restaurant after you ate it all.
I understand that are some of these restaurants that are quite expensive one bite is all it takes to "eat it all".

Originally Posted by TommyC80
this happened to me at a low tier brand last year. I had a confirmation for a king bed, got a queen bed. I called the front desk and the night manager said they only had queen beds at their property...I mentioned the elite benefit guarantee as well and he said he couldn’t give me any money until his manager came in at 10am (I was leaving at 6am).
I understood FI was the lowest tier. Is there another brand considered lower?
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by itisme

where can you find if one is a ‘convention’ hotel? Does it mention that when reserving?
JW Marriott in Chicago states on the booking page "Please note-As a Convention/Resort Network hotel, late check-outs and upgrades are not guaranteed and are based upon availability." Don't know if that is universal as I apparently miss most of these "special" hotels. I had no issues with the 4PM checkout.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It seems to be a secret now, but a lurker might be able to check for you. Having the word convention or resort in the hotel's name is NOT definitive.

Once upon a time, there was a list of convention and resort hotels posted on FT by Starwood Lurker. If you can find that, it should indicate whether the property was a convention hotel at that time.
List available from Marriott website. Bottom of home page under Meetings and Events tab for link to convention properties.

Westin Phoenix not listed as a convention hotel.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
I got this reply after being bonvoyed and not getting 750 points in lieu of breakfast for a REN property without a lounge.

"If you believe that compensation is due with respect to any aspect of the Elite Benefits Guarantee, you must request payment of the compensation while still a guest at the hotel, prior to checking out. Failure to request such payment prior to check out will result in a complete waiver of any right to receive such compensation."

I just wanted the points but that was denied. How am I supposed to know if the points will or will not be deposited prior to check out?

​​​​​The last three stays for me have had all of the points wrong. I had a good run with correct postings but I guess that's over. V
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by voweffekt
I got this reply after being bonvoyed and not getting 750 points in lieu of breakfast for a REN property without a lounge.

"If you believe that compensation is due with respect to any aspect of the Elite Benefits Guarantee, you must request payment of the compensation while still a guest at the hotel, prior to checking out. Failure to request such payment prior to check out will result in a complete waiver of any right to receive such compensation."

I just wanted the points but that was denied. How am I supposed to know if the points will or will not be deposited prior to check out?

​​​​​The last three stays for me have had all of the points wrong. I had a good run with correct postings but I guess that's over. V
Call CS. They will post the points while you are on the line.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Call CS. They will post the points while you are on the line.
The reply I posted was from CS. Will the phone agents have a different reply? I'll try when back stateside.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by voweffekt

Did you request and they agree to post the 750 points at the hotel and they just did not post or did you not request it and didn't show?
I see those as slightly different situations. Have you spoken with the hotel? I just had my 1000 welcome points not post from a Ren, and they were pretty quick at just sending me 1000 extra points.

I have generally started asking at checkout to make sure they have any extra points like green night or no lounge or whatevers credited before I checkout though because it has been a bit inconsistent from time to time.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:13 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
BONVOYED!!

Well, I finally got my response. Apparently, there is no compensation for the failure to comply with the "guaranteed" 4 p.m. checkout. So, the late checkout "guarantee" is not guaranteed in any way. It's just a BS phrase that is being used by Bonvoy with no meaning whatsoever. Really irritating.
EuropeanPete, UA-NYC, KRSW and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Bonvoy! Marriott doesn't care.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
If a property that falls under the guarantee of a 4pm checkout, tried to deny me, I'd just use/stay in the room and if housekeeping came and knocked, I'd politely tell them I have a 4pm checkout and to come back then. What a joke.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:40 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by genotonda
If a property that falls under the guarantee of a 4pm checkout, tried to deny me, I'd just use/stay in the room and if housekeeping came and knocked, I'd politely tell them I have a 4pm checkout and to come back then. What a joke.
You must enjoy stress in your life!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
You must enjoy stress in your life!
Haha. Nope, but I expect to be able to utilize my "guaranteed" perks that I've earned, should I really need to take advantage of them.

I'm far from a DYKWIA type, but I expect a minimum amount of a service standard, and if I'm not getting it, I will politely inform the business of my displeasure and provide them the opportunity to remedy. From that point, I'll escalate as needed. Both up the chain, and my demeanor.

My MIL is one of those people who will just let herself be walked all over. A waiter could could literally spit on her food in front of her, and she would say nothing.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by genotonda
That’s what cc authorizations at check-in are for. You’d get charged a late check-out fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.