Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Using Wife's Free Nights Combined with my Elite Status

Old May 7, 19, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Oneworld Sapphire

My wife is a Marriott Rewards Gold member and has a few free nights in her MR account that we would like to use during an upcoming vacation.

I am a Marriott Titanium member and get free brekky, upgrade amongst other things, I also have a few SNA's in my MR account.

We would like to combine the Reward Certificates in her account with my Elite benefits (free breakfast, SNA"s), is that at all possible and if so how do I go about it?

Even just getting the free breakfast without any upgrade or SNA's will be good enough.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old May 7, 19, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If she had points to equal free nights it would be easier, as she could just transfer points to your account & you could make the reservation under your name/status. If they're certificates (Chase, etc), then technically the Gold status/bennies (or lack there of) would apply. You can show proof of your Titanium status at check-in & ask politely if they'll allow free breakfast or lounge access. The property is not required to do so, though. I believe SNAs can only be used for your reservations, not someone else's.

Cheers.
Old May 7, 19, 5:20 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
The fair method is to book a cash stay at the beginning and the end of the free ones.

Night one: you're cash stay
Night two: wife's free night
Night three: wife's free night
Night four: you're cash stay

Then on both reservations, put both you and your wife's name on all 4 reservations.

When check in, the staff will likely link all 4 nights together so you don't need to change rooms. And since the first and last night is paid stay under your name, you can reasonably request the elite benefits for the whole stay and the hotel management can see it as a reasonable request.

A more predatory method is to add your own name onto wife's reservation and then during check-in demand they give you those elite benefits or else you'll bring them Fire and Blood - Dracarys!
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old May 7, 19, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver, SW A-list, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
...If they're certificates (Chase, etc), then technically the Gold status/bennies (or lack there of) would apply. You can show proof of your Titanium status at check-in & ask politely if they'll allow free breakfast or lounge access. The property is not required to do so, though....
We got upgrade and amenity and breakfast benefits recently this way. I was using certs out of my account, and when we checked in, asked if we were eligible for my husband's Titanium benefits. They were very nice about it. We would not have pushed if they didn't agree to give the benefits.
Old May 8, 19, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Oneworld Sapphire
This is for a free night cert and for a one night stay in AUH, we arrive very late and will miss breakfast most likely anyway.

Options are Ritz Carlton or St Regis, tempted to book RC now as they give very little in terms of elite benefits so not missing out on much.

if booking STR would use SNA.
Old May 8, 19, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do the RC. I wouldn't waste a SNA on a one night stay when you're arriving late and leaving early.
Old May 8, 19, 10:58 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
For the Hilton program a few years ago, my lady friend called to make a reservation using her free cert and made the reservation in my name (as a Diamond), and with her as the 2nd person in a 2 person reservation. So we got all the Diamond benefits. Is possible with Marriott to do something similar by calling and talking to someone and using the free cert and making the reservation in your name?