FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Using Wife's Free Nights Combined with my Elite Status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1968652-using-wifes-free-nights-combined-my-elite-status.html)

navatwal May 7, 2019 12:37 pm

Using Wife's Free Nights Combined with my Elite Status

My wife is a Marriott Rewards Gold member and has a few free nights in her MR account that we would like to use during an upcoming vacation.

I am a Marriott Titanium member and get free brekky, upgrade amongst other things, I also have a few SNA's in my MR account.

We would like to combine the Reward Certificates in her account with my Elite benefits (free breakfast, SNA"s), is that at all possible and if so how do I go about it?

Even just getting the free breakfast without any upgrade or SNA's will be good enough.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

SkiAdcock May 7, 2019 12:46 pm

If she had points to equal free nights it would be easier, as she could just transfer points to your account & you could make the reservation under your name/status. If they're certificates (Chase, etc), then technically the Gold status/bennies (or lack there of) would apply. You can show proof of your Titanium status at check-in & ask politely if they'll allow free breakfast or lounge access. The property is not required to do so, though. I believe SNAs can only be used for your reservations, not someone else's.

Cheers.

yeunganson May 7, 2019 5:20 pm

The fair method is to book a cash stay at the beginning and the end of the free ones.

Night one: you're cash stay
Night two: wife's free night
Night three: wife's free night
Night four: you're cash stay

Then on both reservations, put both you and your wife's name on all 4 reservations.

When check in, the staff will likely link all 4 nights together so you don't need to change rooms. And since the first and last night is paid stay under your name, you can reasonably request the elite benefits for the whole stay and the hotel management can see it as a reasonable request.

A more predatory method is to add your own name onto wife's reservation and then during check-in demand they give you those elite benefits or else you'll bring them Fire and Blood - Dracarys!

ehallison May 7, 2019 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 31076740)
...If they're certificates (Chase, etc), then technically the Gold status/bennies (or lack there of) would apply. You can show proof of your Titanium status at check-in & ask politely if they'll allow free breakfast or lounge access. The property is not required to do so, though....

We got upgrade and amenity and breakfast benefits recently this way. I was using certs out of my account, and when we checked in, asked if we were eligible for my husband's Titanium benefits. They were very nice about it. We would not have pushed if they didn't agree to give the benefits.

navatwal May 8, 2019 3:20 am

This is for a free night cert and for a one night stay in AUH, we arrive very late and will miss breakfast most likely anyway.

Options are Ritz Carlton or St Regis, tempted to book RC now as they give very little in terms of elite benefits so not missing out on much.

if booking STR would use SNA.

MSPeconomist May 8, 2019 8:12 am

Do the RC. I wouldn't waste a SNA on a one night stay when you're arriving late and leaving early.

HookEm May 8, 2019 10:58 am

For the Hilton program a few years ago, my lady friend called to make a reservation using her free cert and made the reservation in my name (as a Diamond), and with her as the 2nd person in a 2 person reservation. So we got all the Diamond benefits. Is possible with Marriott to do something similar by calling and talking to someone and using the free cert and making the reservation in your name?

bunny425 Aug 29, 2019 12:18 am

Marriott award stay question

Hi,

My sister is a Marriott Gold member. If she booked a stay using her free night certificate under her account while travelling with me (I am a Platinum member). Will we receive any Platinum benefit for our stay (like free breakfast and lounge access)? Is it a absolute no or does it depend on hotel? Would it work If she added my name under the reservation? or can the free night stay reservation booked under my name/account?

When I was Hilton Diamond before, Conrad Tokyo granted us lounge access when the stay was book under my sister's Gold member account...so just want to check.

Thanks.

dimon84 Aug 29, 2019 3:04 am

Only gold benefits. You can try to reach out to hotel, maybe they might be generous as an exception.

margarita girl Aug 29, 2019 6:09 am