Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel is walking me 4 weeks in advance--guidance on next steps appreciated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
As of 1 October, 2020:

Per Marriott Bonvoy T&C, a Participating Property must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/compensation to apply.

Print Wikipost

Hotel is walking me 4 weeks in advance--guidance on next steps appreciated

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Elite, Southwest Companion
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Is your 3 night stay in Paris now completely free? Have you paid anything out of pocket (points/$$$) that you will not get back? Unsure what you full mean when you say that HdB is covering the stay at PdG
That HdB is paying for my room at PdG.
When I cancel my reservation at HdB I will receive my points back.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Ellvizzle
That HdB is paying for my room at PdG.
When I cancel my reservation at HdB I will receive my points back.
Did they follow through with the free booking???
Old May 14, 2019, 9:33 am

I would not be canceling anything until they make the new booking and you have proof
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:08 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mysterym
I would not be canceling anything until they make the new booking and you have proof
I agree. Once you cancel, the hotel is off the hook and can ignore you from that point on with little (if any) pushback from Marriott.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I agree. Once you cancel, the hotel is off the hook and can ignore you from that point on with little (if any) pushback from Marriott.
Op appears to have an email from the GM saying that they will rebook the new hotel. Imo, it would be pretty ballsy for the hotel/GM to then turnaround and not book the new hotel. Could lead to a serious media/sm bashing for the hotel in question, leading to a greater (eventual) outcome for OP. They would also have legal options too imo (IANAL)

Saying all that, I agree with yourself and others to not cancel the booking before the new one is made
Old May 14, 2019, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

OP here...Yes, I waited to until they sent the confirmation email with the confirmation #, my name on the reservation, and advance payment made. So it says it was prepaid. My member number is not yet attached so I might need to confirm that part to get Platinum benefits, but perhaps I can just wait to deal with this at check-in? I will report back if there are any issues in a few weeks.
ehallison likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
You should be able to attach your member number online. Enter the confirmation number along with your last name (or try to add the confirmation number when you are logged into your Bonvoy account)
Old May 14, 2019, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Ellvizzle
Update from OP:

Well, I believe I have reached a satisfactory resolution. I responded to the Hotel de Berri's email, politely referencing the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee policy and my subsequent expectation that they will follow it by paying for 3 nights at the same category level PdG plus compensate the points/$ outlined in the policy. Two days passed and I still did not receive a response. So, I decided I would next email the HdB's GM. I forwarded the email chain that I had not received a response to, and politely, but directly, stated my concerns about this reservation situation, my disappointment in the hotel's treatment of the situation, the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee policy, etc. etc. I soon received an email from the GM stating an explanation of the forced privatisation of the hotel by authorities due to a major event, expressed her apologies, and offered that they will book us a room at the PdG and cover the room, so long as I am the one who cancels my reservation at the HdB. I am appreciative that the GM was very responsive and I accepted this offer. I had heard such great things about the HdB so I am glad that they ultimately were responsive to the situation and we reached an agreeable solution.
glad it worked out! This is how these situations are resolved to everyone's satisfaction ... wish they would offer it without prompting though.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

OP update: well, we had our 3-night stay at the PdG, paid in advance by HdB. It went smoothly and I received my Platinum benefit of breakfast welcome amenity option, though did not get any room upgrade. But, the standard room was comfortable size, the bed was amazing, and the continental breakfast offering was great. So, despite some stressor of getting this resolved, it was an outcome where HdB ultimately did the right thing and I was satisfied.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I am having a similar situation with a brand new property. Their Sales Director is claiming that since the hotel never opened (the opening is delayed), the gurantee does not apply. Seems scummy and slimy to me. Based on this thread, it sounds like the guarantee applies, especially since the wording is: "If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience. To be eligible, you must provide your member number when making a reservation. Compensation varies by hotel brand."
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Deltahater
I am having a similar situation with a brand new property. Their Sales Director is claiming that since the hotel never opened (the opening is delayed), the gurantee does not apply. Seems scummy and slimy to me. Based on this thread, it sounds like the guarantee applies, especially since the wording is: "If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience. To be eligible, you must provide your member number when making a reservation. Compensation varies by hotel brand."
Unfortunately, the guarantee is currently suspended, though you could pretend you don’t know that (since Marriott never released and real statement or literature on this) and still request compensation. At the very least they should offer you a room at a comparable property at the same rate, I would deem that acceptable given the advance notice.
MSPeconomist and anteater like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: Yes
I would also name the property here so people are aware of what property is acting in this manner and can make an informed decision on whether to stay or not to stay.
SPN Lifer and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
so is the hotel open and they are walking you? Or the hotel never opened? In the latter case no guarantee would have applied anyway.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Hotel has never opened. I don't see any exception for "never opened hotels do not need to honor the guarantee". What am I missing? Also, corporate is telling me that the guarantee is suspended anyways. Website does not reflect that. I feel very bonvoyed here.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: Yes
Hotel has never opened. I don't see any exception for "never opened hotels do not need to honor the guarantee". What am I missing? Also, corporate is telling me that the guarantee is suspended anyways. Website does not reflect that. I feel very bonvoyed here.
Post the property name so others know to avoid it if it ever does open.

Vote with your wallet and stay at another chain.
cmd320 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.