Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel is walking me 4 weeks in advance--guidance on next steps appreciated

Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
As of 1 October, 2020:

Per Marriott Bonvoy T&C, a Participating Property must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/compensation to apply.

Print Wikipost

Hotel is walking me 4 weeks in advance--guidance on next steps appreciated

Old May 9, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
At the very least the hotel should have a suitable alternative booked at no additional cost to the guest with some sort of gesture of good will (first night paid, cash, points, etc.). They really should do a whole lot more than that.

It is interesting that they are not cancelling the reservation outright, it makes me wonder if they know that you are entitled to more but are just hoping people (or some people) will be dumb enough to just accept their generous offer to book a hotel at your expense somewhere else.

I agree that showing up would be one strategy, but I am not sure if I would employ that in a foreign country and then be forced to find a last minute room somewhere in a possibly sold out city and be left chasing reimbursement if the hotel refused to assist.

Hopefully Marriott will step in and do the right thing. Really poor showing from any hotel but in particular a luxury brand. Please do keep us posted!
Old May 9, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I believe Marriott system will keep record that hotel cancel the booking and it can cause issue for the hotel down the track. Thats why hotel hoping OP cancel the booking him/herself so hotel no longer holds liability over the cancelled bookings
Old May 9, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
While it would be an interesting experiment to just show up and see what happens, it is a bit risky. "Je suis desole. Nous sont...how you say plein...ah!...full! Nous sont full! Mais we have a room for you at the Hotel de...again, how you say...cockroach! Oui! L'Hotel Cockroach!"

I agree that this is not "walking" and that muddies the waters. It's actually quite simple. You have a points reservation which the hotel is refusing to honor, because the want to sell the room for cash instead. When talking to Marriott, I'd use those exact words.
Horace likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
While it would be an interesting experiment to just show up and see what happens, it is a bit risky. "Je suis desole. Nous sont...how you say plein...ah!...full! Nous sont full!
je suis
tu es
il est
nous sommes
vous etes
ils sont
asovse1 likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
I have a similar issue with the JW in Dubai.. the hotel just emailed me to tell me they are suddenly closing, and that I need to find a new hotel. I called Marriott Customer Service and they refuse to do anything at all - I called to see if they could put me up at a Ritz Carlton for the same price and the phone agent said it was quite possible, but then customer service emailed me and told me to bugger off that there is nothing at all that they can do for me. The price difference between the JW and the Ritz was only about $100 and I was only going for one night.. pretty disappointed....

Not sure what "working closely with impacted... guests" entails if they are just saying "we are closing, good luck"

Website says:

“The hotel will not be open for business as of midnight (GST) on Sunday, May 12, 2019. We are working closely with impacted associates, guests and business partners and taking steps to promote a smooth transition,” read the statement.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I have a similar issue with the JW in Dubai.. the hotel just emailed me to tell me they are suddenly closing, and that I need to find a new hotel. I called Marriott Customer Service and they refuse to do anything at all - I called to see if they could put me up at a Ritz Carlton for the same price and the phone agent said it was quite possible, but then customer service emailed me and told me to bugger off that there is nothing at all that they can do for me. The price difference between the JW and the Ritz was only about $100 and I was only going for one night.. pretty disappointed....

Not sure what "working closely with impacted... guests" entails if they are just saying "we are closing, good luck"

Website says:

“The hotel will not be open for business as of midnight (GST) on Sunday, May 12, 2019. We are working closely with impacted associates, guests and business partners and taking steps to promote a smooth transition,” read the statement.
Are they closing permanently, deflagging, reflagging as another chain, or what? This seems like it could be very different from the OP's case.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are they closing permanently, deflagging, reflagging as another chain, or what? This seems like it could be very different from the OP's case.
No one knows what is happening... from extensive Googling, there was a dispute between Kuwaiti and Emirati businessmen that was supposedly resolved in 2015 - so no idea if this sudden closure is related, or if it's something completely different.

Even if the situation is completely different, and it very well might be, Marriott should step up and do something... no?
Old May 9, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the hotel is leaving, Starriott would have no mechanism to force them to do anything or to pay. Pressure can be exerted, *IF* Starriott chooses, on hotels that want to continue as members of the family.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Even if the situation is completely different, and it very well might be, Marriott should step up and do something... no?
Perhaps you could take this to a different thread (or ask the mods to start a new one for you), since it is a completely different issue.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
I have no guidance for OP other than what has already been expressed, but I must say that I am pleasantly surprised to see a distinct lack of armchair apologists within this thread.

Good luck Bon chance, OP.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Please let us know what happens.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Please let us know what happens.
Agreed - please and thank you in advance - considering the PdG and this for a stay in a few months, and if the hotel continues to be flippant to the OP, definitely will not stay here.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
nous sommes
Got me.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Elite, Southwest Companion
Update from OP:

Well, I believe I have reached a satisfactory resolution. I responded to the Hotel de Berri's email, politely referencing the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee policy and my subsequent expectation that they will follow it by paying for 3 nights at the same category level PdG plus compensate the points/$ outlined in the policy. Two days passed and I still did not receive a response. So, I decided I would next email the HdB's GM. I forwarded the email chain that I had not received a response to, and politely, but directly, stated my concerns about this reservation situation, my disappointment in the hotel's treatment of the situation, the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee policy, etc. etc. I soon received an email from the GM stating an explanation of the forced privatisation of the hotel by authorities due to a major event, expressed her apologies, and offered that they will book us a room at the PdG and cover the room, so long as I am the one who cancels my reservation at the HdB. I am appreciative that the GM was very responsive and I accepted this offer. I had heard such great things about the HdB so I am glad that they ultimately were responsive to the situation and we reached an agreeable solution.
cfischer, dcstudent and wrp96 like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Is your 3 night stay in Paris now completely free? Have you paid anything out of pocket (points/$$$) that you will not get back? Unsure what you full mean when you say that HdB is covering the stay at PdG

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.