Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel is walking me 4 weeks in advance--guidance on next steps appreciated

Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
As of 1 October, 2020:

Per Marriott Bonvoy T&C, a Participating Property must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/compensation to apply.

Print Wikipost

Hotel is walking me 4 weeks in advance--guidance on next steps appreciated

Old May 7, 2019, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
It's not a walk by definition since it's so far out.
I agree. From having worked in the hotel industry, I'd say that most hotels/hotel chains operate under the belief that moving a guest days/weeks in advance is not consider a walk. Neither is this awkward "we won't have a room for you but we're only going to help you find one if you pay cash" situation that the OP is now in.

What MSPeconomist says here is how I understand how it works:

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW, I recall the SPG Lurker saying that it's not a walk if done in advance, so I'm not sure compensation applies under current Starriott rules, but the hotel should do something to make the OP happy about the situation. Management can't just cancel a confirmed reservation and do nothing.
And that opinion is backed up by the "...but is relocated from the property upon arrival..." clause in 4.3.a.iii of the Terms and Conditions kaizen7 provided.

Note: Just because I'm saying you're out of luck with Ultimate Reservation Guarantee payment doesn't mean I agree with it. The way the hotel is handling this situation is unethical.

I only had to move guests in advance twice in my career. We arranged for space at two different hotels prior to contacting each guest. When we did contact the guests, they could choose their hotel and we did handled the administrative work. We only paid for the first night, either covering the room/tax or providing the equivalent of a free night in points. We also covered the difference in the nightly rate for any additional nights.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Elite, Southwest Companion
I appreciate all of the feedback. I will report back on the outcome when I have a resolution.
Horace likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ellvizzle
I appreciate all of the feedback. I will report back on the outcome when I have a resolution.
Figure out what you want and would consider fair. You're not limited to the two hotels mentioned in the email. Look at all Starriott properties in Paris, although I would clearly take PdG over the Marriott.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Thank you, I wasn't sure if it would qualify.
Well, now, wait just a minute. There is, at best, a difference of opinions in this thread about whether or not you qualify. Don't rely on FT, -- call Marriott. Be nice, not at all belligerent or entitled, but assume that you qualify; and position your call that you're calling to see how to get the benefits.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I agree. From having worked in the hotel industry, I'd say that most hotels/hotel chains operate under the belief that moving a guest days/weeks in advance is not consider a walk. Neither is this awkward "we won't have a room for you but we're only going to help you find one if you pay cash" situation that the OP is now in.

What MSPeconomist says here is how I understand how it works:

And that opinion is backed up by the "...but is relocated from the property upon arrival..." clause in 4.3.a.iii of the Terms and Conditions kaizen7 provided.

Note: Just because I'm saying you're out of luck with Ultimate Reservation Guarantee payment doesn't mean I agree with it. The way the hotel is handling this situation is unethical.

I only had to move guests in advance twice in my career. We arranged for space at two different hotels prior to contacting each guest. When we did contact the guests, they could choose their hotel and we did handled the administrative work. We only paid for the first night, either covering the room/tax or providing the equivalent of a free night in points. We also covered the difference in the nightly rate for any additional nights.
But hypothetically, what is stopping someone in OP's situation from just showing up at the hotel and asking for the guarantee if they still have no room once they arrive?

Here is a somewhat similar recent example - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ntee-sham.html Took awhile but OP of that thread ultimately received 40,000 points (5,000 more than the night cost).

While I don't think OP here should necessarily get the full URG compensation since it is this far out, as it stands the hotel is not being penalized at all for not honoring a confirmed reservation. I think something like the amount of points required for a 1-night stay at that hotel would be a fair compromise.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is really quite despicable conduct by the property. Especially since this is apparently due to the property's conscious decision to favor more profitable new business over a guest holding a confirmed booking. Contrast with reports of The London NYC and what it has done to make up for its inability to honor reservations due to renovations taking longer than expected - comping room at a sister NYC property.

The hotel should comp OP at PdG. Whether Marriott will force that result is a different question.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I was advance-walked by the Ritz Carlton in a major metro last week -- 72 hours before arrival. I am lifetime Platinum, and this was a one-weeknight, business visit. The Ritz did the following, unprompted:

1. Booked me at the W Hotel around the corner and paid for the room charge via master account
2. Refunded me the 60,000 (new chart Bonvoy) points I had used for the stay
3. Credited my account 70,000 points as a Customer Service gesture

I did need to make a couple of phone calls (one to the W to confirm the master account was correctly noted, and one to the Ritz to confirm the whole situation), but otherwise the situation was minimally bothersome, especially at a net gain of 130k points, which I value at $1300.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I agree this is a slimy situation. Pushing the OP out when they paid the previous point rate. They need to book the OP in another hotel at the old rate plus comp.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Something similar happened to me twice in 2016. Once with a Marriott and once SPG . The Marriott I had booked was the Hollis Hall in Yorkshire England. Some time before my stay I received an email stating that it was leaving Marriott and offering to allow me to stay for the same price or rebook elsewhere. No further assistance was offered offered and I booked in a less convenient Marriott for a higher price, as I needed the nights.
I then had a 5 day points stay at the Westin and Europa in Venice, that was cancelled about a month before as the hotel was closing for renovations. My booking was transferred to the Danieli , which was a higher category, but at the original points price. My only negative was that the notification came in an email, which stated that if I didn't respond within 3 days 9 I think) my reservation would just be cancelled. I didn't open the email until 5 days or so but when I contacted SPG it was fixed instantly. For the record we also got a great UG at the Danilei, which is now one of our favourite hotels anywhere.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by fastflyer
I was advance-walked by the Ritz Carlton in a major metro last week -- 72 hours before arrival. I am lifetime Platinum, and this was a one-weeknight, business visit. The Ritz did the following, unprompted:

1. Booked me at the W Hotel around the corner and paid for the room charge via master account
2. Refunded me the 60,000 (new chart Bonvoy) points I had used for the stay
3. Credited my account 70,000 points as a Customer Service gesture

I did need to make a couple of phone calls (one to the W to confirm the master account was correctly noted, and one to the Ritz to confirm the whole situation), but otherwise the situation was minimally bothersome, especially at a net gain of 130k points, which I value at $1300.
​​​​​​
The hotel did above and beyond the required by bonvoy in this case. And if the OP hotels are decent, they should offer something similar to this as the room is not available not because of "act of God", but it was because act of Sales Department selling out the property.
Horace, wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
"If you wish, we can assist you by making a new booking to another Marriott hotels such as the Prince de Galles or Marriott Champs-Elysees. Both hotels are located close by to our property, they have indeed great locations too. However, as we do not have the access to book with your points directly somewhere else, we recommend you to book directly with your points by yourself. Then if you wish to do so, we will be able to cancel the booking with us for you.

Otherwise, we will be more than happy to assist you to book another hotel for you without using your points."
What amazingly awful service from the 5-star luxury hotel that wants to considered one of the very best hotels in Paris!

The Hôtel de Berri, a Luxury Collection Hotel, should have done whatever it takes to have alternate arrangements in place for you at the Prince de Galles, a Luxury Collection Hotel — before even notifying you. The alternate hotel offer should have included a sincere apology, assurance that your existing points would transferred over with no additional points required, and a promise that your new room type is as good or better than the category you booked — plus generous goodwill compensation in points and/or cash.

Instead, the Hôtel de Berri, a Luxury Collection Hotel, essentially said, "We're cancelling your guaranteed reservation. Tough Luck. Yeah, we know the points chart changed, but that's your problem, not ours. You're on your own, except that we can make a cash reservation if you can't use Marriott.com yourself."
Kacee and strickerj like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:59 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It’s a new hotel still establishing its credibility in a very crowded Paris market. I hope that if they don’t make amends quickly and to your liking that you make sure to roast them on tripadvisor and sow seeds of doubt with anyone else booking a trip there as to whether they will be kicked out without help.

This kind of behaviour is simply not compatible with luxury service standards, even in Paris.
JoeWoodstock, Kacee and strickerj like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Elite, Southwest Companion
Originally Posted by Horace
What amazingly awful service from the 5-star luxury hotel that wants to considered one of the very best hotels in Paris!

The Hôtel de Berri, a Luxury Collection Hotel, should have done whatever it takes to have alternate arrangements in place for you at the Prince de Galles, a Luxury Collection Hotel — before even notifying you. The alternate hotel offer should have included a sincere apology, assurance that your existing points would transferred over with no additional points required, and a promise that your new room type is as good or better than the category you booked — plus generous goodwill compensation in points and/or cash.

Instead, the Hôtel de Berri, a Luxury Collection Hotel, essentially said, "We're cancelling your guaranteed reservation. Tough Luck. Yeah, we know the points chart changed, but that's your problem, not ours. You're on your own, except that we can make a cash reservation if you can't use Marriott.com yourself."
Indeed, I expected more from a luxury property. This pretty much sums up the punch I feel.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It’s a new hotel still establishing its credibility in a very crowded Paris market. I hope that if they don’t make amends quickly and to your liking that you make sure to roast them on tripadvisor and sow seeds of doubt with anyone else booking a trip there as to whether they will be kicked out without help.

This kind of behaviour is simply not compatible with luxury service standards, even in Paris.
You got that right. I am a more active poster on TripAdvisor and will definitely be reviewing the experience if they do not provide an acceptable resolution. I replied to their email 24 h ago making my request of how to fix this in line with the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee policy (or at least something not in line with the tough luck approach) and haven't yet heard further.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:00 pm

Not necessarily at the same level, but this hotel also tried to downgrade my SNA and when my Ambassador pursued them on this they claimed I called to make the room type change (I had two rooms and they claimed I wanted adjoining rooms) which I had not. When my Ambassador called them out on this, supposedly the room type I had been upgraded to was no longer available for my 5 night stay. In the end, they were able to put me in the correct room type based on which I had chosen in my SNA thanks to my Ambassador's intervention. If I did not have an Ambassador I'm afraid I would have been SOL due to this hotel playing games.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils
But hypothetically, what is stopping someone in OP's situation from just showing up at the hotel and asking for the guarantee if they still have no room once they arrive?

Here is a somewhat similar recent example - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ntee-sham.html Took awhile but OP of that thread ultimately received 40,000 points (5,000 more than the night cost).

While I don't think OP here should necessarily get the full URG compensation since it is this far out, as it stands the hotel is not being penalized at all for not honoring a confirmed reservation. I think something like the amount of points required for a 1-night stay at that hotel would be a fair compromise.
Ignoring the email and showing up at the hotel as reserved is certainly a strategy one could use. I personally wouldn't be comfortable doing that...doubly so if I were in the OPs shoes because I don't speak French fluently.

I do think that whether the hotel should give 1 free night or all nights free is a valid debate. What's not up for debate is the fact that this was a complete failure of the hotel to handle the situation ethically.
zgscl likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.