Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel is walking me 4 weeks in advance--guidance on next steps appreciated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
As of 1 October, 2020:

Per Marriott Bonvoy T&C, a Participating Property must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/compensation to apply.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Elite, Southwest Companion

Hello,

I would appreciate advice on what the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee policy should entail, as I presume this applies to my situation...

I am Platinum Elite. I made a 3 night stay many many months in advance (on points) at the Hotel de Berri in Paris. I have just received notice that they have some sort of buy-out on the hotel which is occurring during the upcoming reservation in 4 weeks.

My questions are:
a) I believe they should be paying in full for a new comparable hotel for those 3 nights, yes?
b) Am I entitled to being refunded my original points used, too?
c) And on top of the above, I am also entitled to an additional 90,000 points + $200?

I have never had this happen to me, so I am wondering if someone more knowledgeable would be able to shed light on this. I reviewed the T&C, but I wanted to make sure I am interpreting correctly.
The following is what the property tells me they will assist me with, but I believe I am entitled to more per the T&C, as I have asked above.

"If you wish, we can assist you by making a new booking to another Marriott hotels such as the Prince de Galles or Marriott Champs-Elysees. Both hotels are located close by to our property, they have indeed great locations too. However, as we do not have the access to book with your points directly somewhere else, we recommend you to book directly with your points by yourself. Then if you wish to do so, we will be able to cancel the booking with us for you.

Otherwise, we will be more than happy to assist you to book another hotel for you without using your points."
Old May 7, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Seems like they're shirking their duty by saying "go book there".
I would not let them cancel anything - and make Customer Service/Corporate handle this for you.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:34 pm

It’s not a walk by definition since it’s so far out.
i would expect Marriott corporate to find you something comparable or better without any additional points or cash. Don’t expect compensation or refund of points and be able to stay.

i would select something you want in the Marriott family of hotels and ask corporate to move you there as a wash...
writerguyfl and nancypants like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myperks
i would expect Marriott corporate to find you something comparable or better without any additional points or cash. Don’t expect compensation or refund of points and be able to stay.

i would select something you want in the Marriott family of hotels and ask corporate to move you there as a wash...
Thank you, I wasn't sure if it would qualify.
I will reach out to corporate to see if this could be arranged.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite

It doesn't need to be a walk on the day of arrival for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee to apply. The only requirement is that your MR/Bonvoy # was included in the booking.

Also, I believe the Berri is already a Category 8. So unless the OP booked it as a Category 7, once the 90,000 compensation + $200 is processed, he can ask them to rebook at that rate or issue points to his account to cover the difference.

Originally Posted by Ellvizzle
Thank you, I wasn't sure if it would qualify.
I will reach out to corporate to see if this could be arranged.
You qualify! Ask the hotel to pay out the Guarantee first, then file a case with phone support if they refuse for whatever reason. It doesn't say the walking/cancellation needs to occur on day of arrival. If someone is buying them out, then surely they knew these costs came with not honoring reservations.

Also, how many points per night did you pay for this hotel when you booked?
FlossieFlyer likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345

I paid the old lower rate, not the 85k rate.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
It doesn't need to be a walk on the day of arrival for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee to apply. The only requirement is that your MR/Bonvoy # was included in the booking.

Also, I believe the Berri is already a Category 8. So unless the OP booked it as a Category 7, once the 90,000 compensation + $200 is processed, he can ask them to rebook at that rate or issue points to his account to cover the difference.

You qualify! Ask the hotel to pay out the Guarantee first, then file a case with phone support if they refuse for whatever reason. It doesn't say the walking/cancellation needs to occur on day of arrival. If someone is buying them out, then surely they knew these costs came with not honoring reservations.

i truly hope so...
but I haven’t read about it happening this way.
i guess the ones I’ve read are delayed opening cases so maybe this is different. Hope it works out.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They should rebook the OP at one of the comparable nearby hotels at the original (lower) points rate. Just because the hotel won't honor the reservation doesn't mean its up to the OP to have to pay a higher rate to be inconvenienced and stay somewhere else.
acrophobia and btonkid12345 like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by Ellvizzle
Hello,

I am Platinum Elite. I made a 3 night stay many many months in advance (on points) at the Hotel de Berri in Paris. I have just received notice that they have some sort of buy-out on the hotel which is occurring during the upcoming reservation in 4 weeks.

My questions are:
a) I believe they should be paying in full for a new comparable hotel for those 3 nights, yes?
b) Am I entitled to being refunded my original points used, too?
c) And on top of the above, I am also entitled to an additional 90,000 points + $200?

."
Hotel de Berri - A Luxury Collection hotel - they covered in Ultimate Reservation Guarantee
The hotel not closed as they have a buyout - again still under t&c for Ultimate Reservation Guarantee
As btonkid say the walk is not have to be done at check in. Although in this case the time is 4 weeks ... which is quite far
As long as the reservation include member number and guaranteed by a credit card

If i read the t&c correctly, the compensation apply will be A and C
(if the hotel really have buyout for all 3 nights OP supposedly stay there)

There are no mention refund the paid/point for the stay as compensation.
The t&c only specify 2 things. (highlighted in red)
and the compensation is 90k points + usd 200

The t&c :

iii. Ultimate Reservation Guarantee. To be eligible, Member's Loyalty Program Member Number and a valid credit card number must be included with the reservation. If a Participating Property is unable to honor the reservation, it will pay for comparable accommodation nearby for the Elite Member that night and compensate the Member for the inconvenience. A Participating Property must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/compensation to apply. At The Ritz-Carlton® and St. Regis Hotels, the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee only applies to Platinum Elite, Titanium Elite, and Ambassador Elite Members. The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee is offered at the following brands: The Ritz-Carlton®, St. Regis, EDITION®, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, JW Marriott®, Marriott Hotels®, Sheraton, Delta Hotels®, Le Méridien, Westin, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® Hotels, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels®, Courtyard®, Four Points, SpringHill Suites®, Protea Hotels®, Fairfield by Marriott®, AC Hotels®, Aloft® Hotels, Moxy® Hotels, Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites® and Element. The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee is not offered at the following brands: Design Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, and Vistana properties. Pursuant to section 4.1.c. if an Elite Member has a confirmed reservation, but is relocated from the property upon arrival, the Participating Property will pay the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation in place on that date under the Program Rules. If an Elite Member receives Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation, then he/she is not eligible to receive additional Elite Benefits Guarantee compensation.
Exec_Plat, Kacee and btonkid12345 like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd negotiate for PdG, and insist on a refund of points if a lower category hotel is where the OP eventually stays.

The Marriott isn't similar except vaguely in terms of location, but I think it's tacky for the hotel to mention two alternatives and then say that they haven't bothered to check availability (but they'd be pleased to make you a reservation for the maximum amount of money I'm sure, with no attempt to find a good rate if you were to take this option).

Is the Westin available or it it gone/closed for renovations? IIRC there's also a W Opera.

BTW, I recall the SPG Lurker saying that it's not a walk if done in advance, so I'm not sure compensation applies under current Starriott rules, but the hotel should do something to make the OP happy about the situation. Management can't just cancel a confirmed reservation and do nothing.

Also BTW, OP should check for (cash) availability and be sure that the entire hotel really is being sold to a group for those nights. I'm not sure I would trust their word that they're not just selectively cancelling a few points bookings during a busy period in order to sell those rooms to the public at close to rack rate.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:47 pm

A Participating Property must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/compensation to apply.
i guess this is the key and you should be able to get the ultimate reservation guarantee. I hope they refund you your points and cover your stay and get the 90k plus 200 . Please report back.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

i guess this is the key and you should be able to get the ultimate reservation guarantee. I hope they refund you your points and cover your stay and get the 90k plus 200 . Please report back.
The part that was quoted above says "is relocated from the hotel upon arrival." IIRC the rule usually means that the cost of the first night (not the entire stay) is covered, with a presumption that the guest would be moved back to the originally chosen hotel for the following night(s).
Horace likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The part that was quoted above says "is relocated from the hotel upon arrival." IIRC the rule usually means that the cost of the first night (not the entire stay) is covered, with a presumption that the guest would be moved back to the originally chosen hotel for the following night(s).
but since it’s a buy out maybe all nights are unavailable.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Could rack up a nice amount of points and $200 each time you return to the original hotel a day later only to get walked again
creditcardgeek likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Whichever nights AREN'T at the booked hotel are supposed to be free, whether it's 1 night or 1 month. The usual scenario would indeed see you back at your booked hotel after one night, but the hotel's liability is definitely not capped.

For the OP it really should be entire stay free + elite compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.