Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in St Johns, Newfoundland

Old May 7, 19, 10:30 am
Community Director
Original Poster

There appear to be four Marriott properties in St Johns:
  • Delta St John's Conference Centre
  • Courtyard
  • Sheraton
  • Fairfield Inn & Suites
What do you consider to be the best property? I realize that the word best has many meanings. For me, it encompasses:
  • view - harbor view is important to me
  • location - easy access to restaurants and sights, not an office park location
  • room quality - size of room, freshly maintained
  • upgrades - I am titanium. This is less important as I will pay to be assured of a harbor view.
Even if you've only stayed at one of these properties, I'd love your thoughts on them.

I found a thread on the Sheraton, but none of the other properties: Sheraton (St John's) Newfoundland [Master Thread]
Old May 7, 19, 8:36 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, HH Diamond, Aeroplan Diamond
I chose the Sheraton when I was there in August and was quite happy with my choice.

The Fairfield is out in the burbs next to a highway interchange.

The Courtyard is quite near the Sheraton but has an inferior location. Like the Sheraton, there is a walk (or very short cab ride) to get to most restaurants/bars, however it is down at the bottom of the hill. You either front onto a busy street with no real view or have a harbour "view" through some fuel tanks, docked ships, etc. Almost the entire harbour is lined with industrial/functional uses.

The Delta is the best situated for the convention centre, the hockey arena, restaurants and bars, etc. However, harbour views are looking through downtown so there are buildings in the way.

The Sheraton is a bit further up the hill than the Courtyard so most rooms are above what lines the edges of the harbour so your view is not obstructed. We had a two double bed room in the wing to the south that directly faces Signal Hill and the channel out into the ocean. It was a very memorable view of one of Newfoundland's iconic locations. The picture attached to the room type does not do it justice. I would definitely pay more for it. As mentioned in the other thread, there are lots of air crews bunking at the hotel but they get the non-harbour view rooms. Don't bother with non-harbour views.

The lounge was off the lobby (at least at the time) and access was fairly well monitored. The evening snacks were actually quite decent. Despite being SPG Gold at the time, we ended up with full breakfast in the restaurant because of a hiccup at check-in.

Despite having to walk/cab to get fully downtown I would definitely choose the Sheraton and that view in particular again.
SanDiego1K and unclepants like this.
Old May 7, 19, 8:44 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

That's extremely helpful. You've spoken to the issues that are important to me. Thank you, DavefromSt.Vital
Old May 7, 19, 10:21 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska MVP, Marriott Platinum / Lifetime Gold
My last visit had me stay at the Sheraton. It's a dated convention style property. They gave away my Plat harbour view upgrade to my worker with Gold status. That's okay. He deserved it and worked hard that year.

I had a view of the parking lot on that stay but there is a nice partial harbour view from the platinum lounge on the top floor.

While the hotel is a little ways away from town, it is closer to the walking / running trails of Signal Hill. This can be more convenient if you're visiting in the summer months.

I walked to town for food every day. This was okay, even in office shoes. I had a good meal at the Fish Exchange which was also good for a work dinner.
Old May 7, 19, 10:39 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
I’ve stayed at the Sheraton and the Courtyard. They’re fairly close together and I think you’d be ok with either. The Sheraton often sold out earlier but it depends when you’re travelling.

I found the walk from the bars etc. quite pleasant, but on these trips I was staying there in August and October. I’d have a different opinion if it was winter.

View from the Courtyard

From the Sheraton
Old May 7, 19, 10:49 pm

And just to throw my 2 cents in, the Fairfield Inn won't be for you, but it is our go to hotel while travelling to St. John's with the family. The last 2 trips had been upgraded to the Studio King room, albeit not without asking on the last visit. The rooms were clean and good size, but obviously with no view. Typical Fairfield Inn, close to dining with a few malls within a Km of the hotel. I would consider this to definitely be a family hotel, as the pool are contains a water slide and is quite busy daily. You're probably 10 minutes driving from the downtown harbour area, and it's easy to get around with a 4 lane road leading quickly out of town. We enjoy it, but it definitely doesn't work for OP.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old May 7, 19, 11:32 pm

Programs: M&M (LX/LH), Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
I can recommend the Delta Hotel in St. John's NL. I stayed there in September 2017 for 5 nights. Very good location and a great staff.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old May 8, 19, 3:16 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
I have only been to Sheraton so my opinion is not very solid but as you probably read in the Sheraton thread where I posted my comments 2 years ago, I would return there. My experience of Fairfields and especially Courtyards in Canada is not stellar for breakfast. I have had modest upgrades at Fairfields but not at Courtyards. I have only stayed at a couple of Delta hotels in Canada and they were fine so I would probably pick Delta or Sheraton; given my previous stay I would pick Sheraton again unless Delta was significantly cheaper. @SanDiego1K you are Titanium so I think you will get more bang for your buck at those two full service hotels rather than CY and FI.
Old May 8, 19, 6:58 am

Location: Somewhere between Toledo and Atlanta but Washington DC will always be home.
Programs: Starriott Plat, Avis Presidents Club, Whatever Airline is going where I want to go
Only have stayed at Sheraton (latest stay in 4Q 2018), but have enjoyed it. Easy walk or short cab to all the restaurants/bars near the water (forget the streets but they're like a block or two off the waterfront). I was actually surprised by how good alot of the restaurants were. Quick cab up Signal Hill and I hike back to the hotel.

Hotel itself is of good quality. Lounge is pretty good by North American standards with breakfast offerings - always went out for drinks/dinner so can't comment on evening offerings. Soda/Water available 24hrs. Rooms with harbor view (only type I book here) are of a good size, furniture is tired but rooms are spotless and well-kept.

My go-to hotel in St. Johns.
Old May 8, 19, 7:19 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by dcstudent View Post
Only have stayed at Sheraton (latest stay in 4Q 2018), but have enjoyed it. Easy walk or short cab to all the restaurants/bars near the water (forget the streets but they're like a block or two off the waterfront). I was actually surprised by how good alot of the restaurants were. Quick cab up Signal Hill and I hike back to the hotel.

Hotel itself is of good quality. Lounge is pretty good by North American standards with breakfast offerings - always went out for drinks/dinner so can't comment on evening offerings. Soda/Water available 24hrs. Rooms with harbor view (only type I book here) are of a good size, furniture is tired but rooms are spotless and well-kept.

My go-to hotel in St. Johns.
St John's has one of the most interesting food scenes in Canada. Eating dinner or filling up on hors d'oeuvres at the hotel would be a waste!

We did have a few lunches at the Sheraton restaurant, solely due to our client location and time constraints and they were fine. Nothing to write home about, but nothing to complain about. Sounds like we had the same experience with the lounge - I didn't make it in the evening once.

I love Newfoundland and I have deep roots there. The harbour view from the Sheraton is everything.
Old May 8, 19, 7:41 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Only stayed at Delta, see my brief review here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-marriott.html
Old Jun 27, 19, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E35, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Having stayed at the Sheraton, Delta, and Courtyard multiple times, it's definitely between the Sheraton and the Delta:
  • Sheraton - good location, generally better views as it's closer the Signal Hill and there are fewer tall buildings around, property is more dated, service can be friendly but haphazard and the front desk is often understaffed. They seem to give out upgrades randomly rather than prioritize by status - I've had multiple times where I've been given a parking lot view room and lower status family members checking in the same day have been upgraded to water views. The club lounge is OK, and the evening spread is generally pretty substantial, but it's often chaotic and poorly serviced during breakfast. In general, I find it's a poorly run hotel overall, and I get a sense of a lack of leadership throughout the property, but I do like the views and location.
  • Delta - overall a better run hotel and they've done some renos recently. The hotel itself is a taller building, so has some nice views, but there's more tall offices around, and it's further from the Narrows, so the views overall are not quite as good. In general, I find the staff to be more organized and consistent vs. the more haphazard Sheraton, and they are better with recognizing status with upgrades.
The locations are basically on opposite ends of downtown, and I'd say it's a toss-up as far as location goes. In general, the Delta is a much better run hotel and more modern, but the Sheraton has better views. I'm spending time there this summer, and I'm splitting my time between the hotels (Sheraton at the start of the trip, Delta at the end), as it is really a toss-up.
Old Jun 27, 19, 9:46 am
Community Director
Original Poster

I appreciate all the input. This thread will be a great resource for anyone considering a stay in St Johns. I've booked the Sheraton at the start and end of the trip because I really do love a water view. My 1am arrival might work against me for upgrades given gcashin's caution about the hotel not being mindful of status. (I am titanium.) I've booked a water view room. It's worth it to me to pay a bit more to be assured of the view that I want.
gcashin likes this.