Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Account shows reservation unrelated to me (Same Guest Name)

Old May 6, 19, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium

I logged into my Marriott account to check something and realised that there is a reservation by my name already in Progress at Courtyard Chennai, India.

I called up the hotel and they said, the account number on the reservation is not my account though the guest name is same as me. They also confirmed that the Guest is not Titanium (is base member). The phone number and email are also different.

I am unable to figure out how does some random reservation show up in my account just by same name. I have blocked my Amex card for any international transactions to be safe. I have also noted the name of the person I spoke at the hotel.

Do I need to do anything or just wait for this potentially IT issue to resolve itself?
Old May 6, 19, 11:50 pm

maybe you will get the points for the stay!
Old May 6, 19, 11:59 pm

Nothing to worry about
Old May 7, 19, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot
Old May 7, 19, 5:23 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Thatís weird. My first thought was an agent looked up his account number by name and selected yours by mistake, but for the reservation to be correctly associated with his account number and still show up on yours is troubling.
MSPeconomist and LIH Prem like this.
Old Jul 29, 19, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

OK so this happened again. Same hotel. This time the stay posted to my account with points and nights credit. I will write to Marriott to get it fixed and keep a record. I have a feeling that someone has somehow found my account number as using it for Bonvoy benefits.
Old Jul 30, 19, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22 View Post
OK so this happened again. Same hotel. This time the stay posted to my account with points and nights credit. I will write to Marriott to get it fixed and keep a record. I have a feeling that someone has somehow found my account number as using it for Bonvoy benefits.
While I can understand anxiety over the situation, it is far more likely to be a simple error: probably the guest with your name isnít a member and your number came up against his name. It has happened to me before and that was the explanation I was give. Itís unlikely to be anything sinister.
Old Jul 30, 19, 6:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd worry about the confused identity if the guest were to damage the room, leave an unpaid bill, or cause a major disturbance.
strickerj, hp12c and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 6:20 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
I wouldnít just blow it off. I had something similar happen to me, though it was someone with a different name and I caught it months prior to the stay.

When I first noticed a reservation at the RC Atlanta that I hadnít booked and that was under a different name, I called Marriott and had them remove the reservation from my account. At that time they assured me that none of my information was compromised.

Fast forward several months and all of a sudden I see a charge from the RC Atlanta on my credit card. I had to call several times and escalate several levels to have the charge reversed and also get 35k points deposited into my account for the hassle.

it hasnít happened since then, so it seems to have been an isolated incident, but disconcerting nonetheless.

Bonvoy being Bonvoy...
Old Aug 31, 19, 5:22 pm

To provide another anecdote on this topic. I am currently at a hotel where I extended my stay this morning by one night by making another points reservation (i.e. my initial reservation was from 30th to 31st August and on the 31st August in the morning I made another reservation from the 31st August to 1st September). I talked to the front desk this morning to ensure that they had correctly registered this within their systems and that I could stay in the same room. This was confirmed by the front desk (who I later found out was the night manager).

However, this afternoon at 5pm I received a call to my room to ask when I would be checking with the explanation that I only had a reservation until today. I informed them that I had made an additional reservation until tomorrow and all was fine. To be sure I checked the Marriott app and was surprised to see an additional reservation from the 31st August to 3rd September - a closer look showed that this reservation was on a different name and credit card.

I went down to the front desk to ask about this reservation. First the lady was very confused as she had "never" seen this before and she said that the reservation had been made via the MARSHA (the marriott) system and that they had done nothing to it. After some more questions she did notice that the other guests reservation had also been modified by the same night manager today. I asked her to look into what exactly was modified and she could not explain it fully, but it seemed like either I had been added to the other guests reservation or the other guest had been added to my reservation.

All in all, it does seem like this was a manual error by the night manager - however it does seem quite concerning that this error can happen so easily with those consequences. I am now able to see the other guests full reservation details, including rate details, full name, e-mail, guaruanteed room type and length of stay. I am also able to modify her reservation and cancel the reservation.

It did not seem that the front desk lady will be putting in any additional effort to resolve the issue or report this issue. She "assured" me that my information had not been exposed to the other guests, however I very much doubt that she would have the knowledge to understand the full extent of the issue, so I won't put any value to that statement. Would you report this to Marriott customer service in any way or "juts let it go"?
Old Aug 31, 19, 5:45 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Pota View Post
Would you report this to Marriott customer service in any way or "juts let it go"?
I would absolutely report. Marriott needs to get their IT in order - itís a key part of the customer experience. Even if they just consider your complaint Ďnoise around the edges,í you may at least get some compensation out of it.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 6:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One guest's personal information should not be viewable by another guest. Period. It doesn't matter if they have the same names or stay at the same hotel at the same time--in fact, in some sense, that makes it even worse.
hp12c and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 7:22 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Originally Posted by RW123 View Post
I would absolutely report. Marriott needs to get their IT in order - itís a key part of the customer experience. Even if they just consider your complaint Ďnoise around the edges,í you may at least get some compensation out of it.
Given what we have learned about Marriott IT, it may be possible that deep within some code that usually doesn't come into play people are identified by name instead of account.
Old Sep 1, 19, 9:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I would definitely be worry and straighten this out ASAP, also keep documentation on everything in case there are legal issues down the road. The person might be dry-run testing your reaction before doing anything more devious. I would not simply dismissed this, escalate this as high as you have to for it to be resolved.
Old Sep 1, 19, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666 View Post
I would definitely be worry and straighten this out ASAP, also keep documentation on everything in case there are legal issues down the road. The person might be dry-run testing your reaction before doing anything more devious. I would not simply dismissed this, escalate this as high as you have to for it to be resolved.
I am quite confident that this issue has happened due to severe incompetence by the night manager. I now have also noticed that for my one night extension he had actually cancelled my initial reservation (made with points) and created a new reservation (also with points) - of course I have now been charged points twice for last night.

I'll be reaching out to my ambassador to outline both of these issues and to raise my concerns about both my and the other guests private data.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: