Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Upgraded to Concierge Level room, but no Concierge Lounge access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

I was upgraded to a Concierge Level room as a Gold Elite, but when I later inquired about accessing the Concierge Lounge, I was told I didn't have access. I understand that my status doesn't give me automatic access to the lounge, but I thought all Concierge Level rooms received access no matter what. Am I mistaken?

Apologies if this question has been asked and answered; I looked around a bit and couldn't find a relevant thread.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:40 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I do believe that prior to the merger, for Starwood, if one were upgraded to a room, then you received all the normal benefits/services that comes with that room. I'm not sure that Marriott historically had that same rule.

Reach out to one of the Marriott Bonvoy Lurkers. Maybe they will know what the "rule" is in this new merged program.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:26 pm

Property, or at least chain? This can be the case at RCs, where they'll upgrade you but no one gets into the club based on MR status alone.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Property, or at least chain? This can be the case at RCs, where they'll upgrade you but no one gets into the club based on MR status alone.
It would also be useful to know whether your room was on the same floor or wing as the lounge, versus the case where there's a club lounge floor but the actual lounge is located on the lobby level.

Also, just to be sure, your stay was eligible to earn elite night credits, right, so this wasn't effectively an OPUP for a Gold booking through an OLTA or having the rooms charges paid through a master bill?
arlflyer likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Also, just to be sure, your stay was eligible to earn elite night credits, right, so this wasn't effectively an OPUP for a Gold booking through an OLTA or having the rooms charges paid through a master bill?
Yep, good call, having an ineligible rate type would definitely do it!
Old May 6, 2019, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

I’m at a Marriott. The entrance to the lounge is on the floor directly below me, but the lounge is actually two floors and extends to my floor (can only exit through the door on my floor).

As for the rate, I am on a group rate. So perhaps that is the issue?

In any event, I was able to speak to someone who was able to give me access to the lounge, but I am still a bit confused by all this.

Old May 6, 2019, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Quite normal for Marriott that getting an upgraded room does not get access to the lounge. You would need the status to ret the lounge access.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Quite normal for Marriott that getting an upgraded room does not get access to the lounge. You would need the status to ret the lounge access.
Is it normal? I think that's the point of the thread, to determine if it is or isn't. Do you have a cite for it being normal not to get access if upgraded to the exec lounge level (Ritz & Griffin Clubs aside)? Put me in the camp of if I was upgraded to exec level I would expect all benefits of exec level.

Cheers.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Is it normal? I think that's the point of the thread, to determine if it is or isn't. Do you have a cite for it being normal not to get access if upgraded to the exec lounge level (Ritz & Griffin Clubs aside)? Put me in the camp of if I was upgraded to exec level I would expect all benefits of exec level.

Cheers.
​​​​​​
At least my experience when I had a more humble status, and for my colleagues getting the rooms now. (just talking about FS Marriott properties) I have not seen anything in writing, just talking about practical experience.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It's my understanding that there are two different ways to get lounge access:

1. As an elite benefit, currently for Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite and higher, regardless of the room type, as long as the stay is eligible for benefits.

2. As a major benefit of staying in a room type that's identified as "Club Floor" or "Concierge Level" or any other category that includes lounge access as a feature of the room — regardless of status, and even if the guest is not a member of Marriott Bonvoy at all, and regardless of how the hotel bill is paid.

If my neighbor, who is not a member of Marriott Bonvoy, decides that a Concierge Level room is worth the higher price compared to a standard room and reserves such a room, then my neighbor (and anyone else legitimately registered to the room) gets lounge access. I don't think anyone would dispute that. After all, lounge access is a published benefit of the room type.

Along the same lines, it seem to me that if any guest is upgraded to a room type that officially includes lounge access as a published benefit, regardless of status, then that guest gets lounge access. It's a feature of the room.

If a hotel does not want a non-member, basic member, Silver member, or Gold member to have lounge access unless the guest is paying for room type that includes it, then the hotel should try not upgrade the guest to a room type that officially includes it. But it a guest receives such a room anyway, then let the guest have a few mini-eggrolls in the evening and a plate of self-service breakfast in the morning. Not allowing it is an insult.

Last edited by Horace; May 6, 2019 at 11:19 pm
Old May 7, 2019, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Horace
It's my understanding that there are two different ways to get lounge access:

1. As an elite benefit, currently for Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite and higher, regardless of the room type, as long as the stay is eligible for benefits.

2. As a major benefit of staying in a room type that's identified as "Club Floor" or "Concierge Level" or any other category that includes lounge access as a feature of the room — regardless of status, and even if the guest is not a member of Marriott Bonvoy at all, and regardless of how the hotel bill is paid.

If my neighbor, who is not a member of Marriott Bonvoy, decides that a Concierge Level room is worth the higher price compared to a standard room and reserves such a room, then my neighbor (and anyone else legitimately registered to the room) gets lounge access. I don't think anyone would dispute that. After all, lounge access is a published benefit of the room type.

Along the same lines, it seem to me that if any guest is upgraded to a room type that officially includes lounge access as a published benefit, regardless of status, then that guest gets lounge access. It's a feature of the room.

If a hotel does not want a non-member, basic member, Silver member, or Gold member to have lounge access unless the guest is paying for room type that includes it, then the hotel should try not upgrade the guest to a room type that officially includes it. But it a guest receives such a room anyway, then let the guest have a few mini-eggrolls in the evening and a plate of self-service breakfast in the morning. Not allowing it is an insult.
You can always pay for concierge level as well. Of skipped that part, and intentionally so.

I would have a view that if the hotel give you are room that happen to be on the concierge level floor, or if they state that you have been upgraded to concierge level are two different things. Since the rooms are often the same except for the actual floor they are on, I don't think it is inherent that being in a room on the concierge level gives access to the lounge. But I do accept that other people may not agree with this

Though I would say, if you are out in a suite i would expect the full set of services going with that suite normally to follow. But the suite is a different beast I think.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Horace
Just to play devil's advocate, where are benefits of a room type published? I've seen rates that include lounge access, but that doesn't mean it's a feature of the room. A hotel can bundle many things into a rate like free parking, bonus points, breakfast, or lounge access; but that doesn't make them a fundamental feature of the room itself. Certainly if a hotel offered 10,000 bonus points for booking a "deluxe garden view", you couldn't reasonably expect to get those points if you were "upgraded" to a deluxe garden view.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
On my small recent experience as previous gold member, i’ve been upgraded one time at executive room at Marriott Rome and i’ve got free lounge access.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:19 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flightrisk
Just to play devil's advocate, where are benefits of a room type published?
Just for fun, I did a search for hotels in Nashville (I'm heading there next week). Both the Sheraton Grand and the Ren have rooms that if you click on the "room details" for the "Club level rooms" both of those "room details" state: "This room features Club lounge access".

I would say that the room details clearly state that lounge access comes with the room, not as something needing to be added on.
SPN Lifer and ExArkie like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Just for fun, I did a search for hotels in Nashville (I'm heading there next week). Both the Sheraton Grand and the Ren have rooms that if you click on the "room details" for the "Club level rooms" both of those "room details" state: "This room features Club lounge access".

I would say that the room details clearly state that lounge access comes with the room, not as something needing to be added on.
But, can you book also book a romm which from the pictures and all other descriptions is the same except the lounge access? Many hotels don't really distinguish the rooms except the lounge access. You can basically buy it for any room in the hotel by selecting the right rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.