Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London, Scotland and Ireland hotels.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC

I'm looking to spend a couple of weeks in the British Isles. Looking to spend some time in London, Scotland and Ireland. Anyone have any suggestions on some good Marriott properties for a general trip? Looking to burn some points and at least have the Plat Elite Lifetime benefits to help.

Any good Marriott properties in the English countryside? Any places that you should see that don't have many Marriott properties?

On the continent, I have some experience with properties, but in the UK, I haven't had any travel for work.

Travelling with the wife and two teenage kids if that matters. Just looking to do the Family Vacation type places.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
There are a number of threads on here which will probably be better than responses you’ll get here, but i’ll bite.
London: Really depends what you’re doing, what you like and how much you want to spend. Also, like Manhattan hotel prices vary by 2-3x depending on when you’re staying. I like the Sheraton Park Lane and the Great Northern Hotel most.
Ireland: The Shelbourne and the Westin are considered two of the best hotels in Dublin, so that’s a start.
Scotland: The Sheraton Grand is solid and I believe there is at least one Luxury Collection up north...
Old May 5, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Check out the Powerscourt Hotel in Ireland. It’s a gorgeous hotel and we really enjoyed our stay there.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, SW A List Preferred
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
There are a number of threads on here which will probably be better than responses you’ll get here, but i’ll bite.
London: Really depends what you’re doing, what you like and how much you want to spend. Also, like Manhattan hotel prices vary by 2-3x depending on when you’re staying. I like the Sheraton Park Lane and the Great Northern Hotel most.
Ireland: The Shelbourne and the Westin are considered two of the best hotels in Dublin, so that’s a start.
Scotland: The Sheraton Grand is solid and I believe there is at least one Luxury Collection up north...
The only Luxury Collection I can think of is Trump Turnberry, which isn't really north.

However, the highlands and islands are dotted with tons of charming guest houses, inns, and B&Bs at affordable rates, that it's worth going outside the brand to explore the country.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Anyone have any suggestions on some good Marriott properties for a general trip?
Travelling with the wife and two teenage kids if that matters. Just looking to do the Family Vacation type places.
What do you mean by "good"? — Luxurious? Economical? Memorable? Traditional? Hip? Solid? Near tourist attractions?

By "family vacation type places," do you mean hotels that can accommodate 2 parents and 2 teens in one room? Or would you get two rooms at each hotel?

Keep in mind that your Platinum Elite benefits only apply to one room, that lounge access (if applicable) applies to member +1, and that breakfast as a Platinum Welcome Gift (if applicable) applies to member +1. Some hotels might be more generous with kids, but even that's more likely with young children than with teens.

Are you planning to travel around the British Islands by train, car, or air?

England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and/or the Republic of Ireland?

Do you already have some cities and attractions in mind, based on what your family wants to see and do?

How long is your trip?

If you provide some more details, you're likely to get better suggestions on this forum.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Thanks everyone. My wife was not impressed with my TA abilities so she went with a tour operator to set up the hotels and activities.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:51 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Thanks everyone. My wife was not impressed with my TA abilities so she went with a tour operator to set up the hotels and activities.

We have a similar trip we are planning for October 2020. Fortunately I have @bhrubin to advise me 😛
dgreen12 and jtwiz like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by damon88

We have a similar trip we are planning for October 2020. Fortunately I have @bhrubin to advise me 😛
It will be very cold then.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:01 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

lol
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Global warming has helped London have some lovely warm Octobers recently. You might be lucky!
Old May 23, 2019, 2:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Huh ?

Old May 23, 2019, 3:10 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Huh ?

LOL. We spent the evening of August 8, 2018 in the grandstands of the castle watching the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo. There was a very stiff wind off the North Sea that evening and it was 48F (8.89C) at 6 PM. Despite being properly attired, it was the coldest I can ever remember being since the winters I spent in Chicago. I can't imagine what October might be like because I've never been there at that time of the year, but one can assume it is probably colder than August.

Still, it was better than the 100F (37.78C) they were experiencing back home.
damon88 likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Huh ?

Inside joke. @bhrubin is keen on preferring his hotel rooms to be well-chilled with air conditioning.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA-LifetimePremierGold, PLT: Bonvoy, IHG, GLD: Enterprise, Budget
Marriott/Bonvoy properties in Scotland

Wanted to see if there were any updates to this thread.... planning to be in Scotland (Edinburgh or Glasgow) in early October 2019. MR/Bonvoy Platinum member with spouse.
Preferences are: rate, free breakfast, fitness center, and ease of access... parking may be a consideration. Access to Concierge lounge a key consideration.

Looks like the Glasgow Marriott and Edinburgh Marriott seemed like reasonable options, along with several other properties, including Residence Inn and extended-stay brands. Wanted to see if there were any other suggestions, or recent experience with these, or other Marriott/Bonvoy properties in Scotland.

Appreciate any info. Cheers.

Last edited by nsx1164; Sep 7, 2019 at 4:39 pm Reason: corrections to initial message
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:54 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
There are very few Bonvoy hotels in Scotland: I think it's a total of 15 properties, all concentrated around Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Aberdeen, and the 1 Trump Turnberry golf property in the Ayrshire area south of Glasgow.

If you want options in the Highlands aside from those, you largely will need to search for smaller boutique properties or non-major chain hotels. Tripadvisor and other search engines may be helpful for you depending on your budget. You also would do well to look into the Scotland Forum here on FlyerTalk for idea/suggestions.

(For perspective, Hilton has 25 properties in all of Scotland, and they're concentrated in many of the same areas as those from Marriott, with a couple more in Dundee and Stirling, too.)
damon88 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.