Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis was to host Brazilian president

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 1:55 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

So disappointing. The Marriott Marquis decides to host this bigot when all the other venues canceled or declined.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2019/05/...on-year-award/
Old May 4, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by david55
So disappointing. The Marriott Marquis decides to host this bigot when all the other venues canceled or declined.

Marriott is in a difficult position here.

Here's Marriott's explanation, in the form of a carefully worded posting on Arne Sorenson's blog — in English and Portuguese:

When We Say Marriott Welcomes All, We Mean It, published on May 1, 2019

As far the topic name here ("I wish Marriott practiced better politics") is concerned, it seems to me that what really counts is not the politics and policies of a customer, but the politics and policies of the company. In this regard, Marriott International has an exemplary record of inclusiveness.

Newsweek: Marriott, American Airlines Top List Of Gay-Friendly Companies, by Daniel Avery, 4/1/19
darthbimmer likes this.

Last edited by Horace; May 4, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Old May 4, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Off course, while many disagree with statements and are offended, many also believe in religious tolerance.

Marriott properties, like other hotels, often host groups that I find offensive and bigoted.

However, I hope that FTers can embrace the spirit of the First Amendment, which includes freedom of speech and religious tolerance. I hope Marriott does so as well. Ideas should fail based on their merit, rather than be being blocked. I rarely see posters on FT promote bigotry except ..as it relates to religious beliefs they don't agree with.

I hope we can all agree that FT should not be a forum to promote religious intolerance.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:57 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Many of us non-Americans probably don’t hold the first amendment in the same way that it’s seen in the US, and the right to speech doesn’t mean that we have to associate with those who threaten rape and violence towards our communities. Not massively Christian, unless we’re focusing on the really Old Testament.

Us Europeans have lived through extremism in a way the US has not - up to now. We would all be wise to remember Karl Popper’s paradox of tolerance, developed as the Second World War was coming to an end (primarily thanks to America): “In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance”.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Off course, while many disagree with statements and are offended, many also believe in religious tolerance.

Marriott properties, like other hotels, often host groups that I find offensive and bigoted.

However, I hope that FTers can embrace the spirit of the First Amendment, which includes freedom of speech and religious tolerance. I hope Marriott does so as well. Ideas should fail based on their merit, rather than be being blocked. I rarely see posters on FT promote bigotry except ..as it relates to religious beliefs they don't agree with.

I hope we can all agree that FT should not be a forum to promote religious intolerance.
Very well stated. Political correctness has gone too far when so many citizens believe it is politically incorrect to express an opinion against something that the majority, or the government, or the media deem to be politically correct. This is a slippery slope that could eventually destroy the First Amendment. European Pete posted a very wise Karl Popper quote "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance”. This is so true, and think of this quote when reading the title of this thread. Marriott should not be in the business of practicing politics of any kind.
rdlmitedu, strickerj and cmd320 like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by david55

I disagree. I prefer that the companies I do business with not align themselves politically in any way, at least to the public. Unless an individual does something that is blatantly illegal, this should be a non-issue. If we start banning people from hotels based on their personal beliefs, that is a slippery slope.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm just going to note that the decision of a single property to host an event has absolutely nothing to do with Marriott corporate's views.
C17PSGR, Twickenham and CCIE_Flyer like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:24 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Folks,
I’ve deleted a number of off topic posts. Either this topic will be discussed without hyperbole and generalizations or it will be moved to OMNI.

Thanks,
yosithezet, Co-moderator, MB Forum
​​​​​​​
Old May 4, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
[I originally quoted a snippet from a post that was deleted by a moderator. The first sentence refers to this snippet.]

This is not the correct forum to denounce individuals or groups that are reviled by some and admired by others. At least, that's my opinion.

The issue here is not about Marriott actually "hosting" — planning, organizing, and footing the bill for — a meeting of a controversial group or a group that brings in a controversial speaker.

The issue here is whether Marriott should rent a meeting room to a group that is willing and able to pay.

If a group is engaging in or advocating illegal activity, that's something else — and the best course of action is to notify law enforcement.

A separate issue is what the politics and policies of Marriott International should be, and what Marriott should expect from its franchises. Arne Sorenson's blog (link in post 2 of this thread) explains the company's philosophy in this regard.

There are consumer companies that funnel money to organizations that my wife and I find reprehensible. We don't do business with such companies.

Marriott International, on the other hand, gets high marks for its employment practices and its inclusiveness.
C17PSGR and strickerj like this.

Last edited by Horace; May 4, 2019 at 8:42 pm
Old May 4, 2019, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C17PSGR

Sorry but I do not understand. What is religious about beating your son if he is gay? Bolsonaro has said he "prefer that he die in an accident" then have a gay son. What religion advocates that?

He has also advocated for torture, killing political enemies, and often says very racist and misogynistic things and pushes intolerance. What religion is that supposed to be?
EuropeanPete and UA-NYC like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Horace
If a group is engaging in or advocating illegal activity, that's something else —
True. Bolsonaro advocates for torture, summery executions, and his cabinet and family are stuck in a corruption scandal that threatens to take down his administration.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:18 am

I mean the StR Singapore just hosted Kim Jung Un. I don’t think there’s a more oppressive leader out there.
rdlmitedu and strickerj like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
I mean the StR Singapore just hosted Kim Jung Un. I don’t think there’s a more oppressive leader out there.
There is a difference ... Kim Jung Un actually engages in torture and summary execution.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Various groups would have strong and in many cases legitimate objections to leaders of all countries, ranging from Trump, Putin, Xi, Obama (people hated his drone policy), MBS, Netanyahu, Macron, whoever. These are, for better or worse, world leaders (democratically elected or not), and need to stay at international hotel chains when conducting the business of their countries. While Bolsonaro is objectionable, I haven’t seen these complaints about Putin (who has been anti LGBTQ for decades) or MBS (leader of Saudi Arabia, where LGBTQ individuals were recently beheaded and crucified).
cfischer likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I haven’t seen these complaints about Putin (who has been anti LGBTQ for decades) or MBS (leader of Saudi Arabia, where LGBTQ individuals were recently beheaded and crucified).
I would not complain if Marriott walked those guys and put them in the Fairfield Inn Newark
TravisMT81 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.