Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Notary Hotel, Autograph Collection, Philadelphia, PA USA [Master Thread]

Old May 4, 19, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite

There's now an official page at Marriott.com for The Notary Hotel, Autograph Collection in Philadelphia: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ph-collection/

It's the former Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown — across from Philadelphia City Hall and a block from the Marriott Philadelphia Downtown. It's been a number of years since I stayed there. The location was terrific, very central. It was an excellent Courtyard then and should be even better now with its upgrade to Autograph Collection standards.

Marriott.com indicates that The Notary Hotel, Autograph Collection is "Opening in June 2019" and will be category 4.

PR NewsWire has a press release about what to expect: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300842172.html

The news of the conversion goes back to 2017, so they've taken their time to make it happen: https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/cou...ph-collection/

Last edited by Horace; May 5, 19 at 9:37 am
Old May 4, 19, 3:58 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold)
I actually got to stay in the one of these renovated rooms by accident in early January.
I came in early one day after my morning red-eye and they gave me one of these rooms, although they had me change rooms the same day. I assume they were still doing work on the floor as the Wi-Fi speed was horrendous.

The renovated room was nicer than the older Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown room, but that's not really saying too much.
Only thing that really stood out to me compared to the older room was the TV, which was a thin panel, and the table that you share with the TV.

Last edited by TheIronWill; May 4, 19 at 4:05 pm
Old Jul 12, 19, 12:52 pm

Now looks like it will be a category 5 and allegedly reopening this month - although they still are not taking reservations.
Old Jul 12, 19, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Lipstick on a pig?
Old Jul 12, 19, 1:12 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Lipstick on a pig?
While I am not sure of the extent of the remodel for the conversion to Autograph Collection, even as a Courtyard it was a very nice property far exceeding typical brand standards. It was my favorite Center City property to stay at. So even if it is essentially just a normal periodic room refresh, it still wouldn't be lipstick on a pig. I know they were doing extensive renovations to the lobby and restaurant. My business travel has changed recently and I no longer go to Philadelphia regularly, so I haven't been able to check in on the progress. The open question is what will the typical rates be? My corporate was well under $200 a night when it was a CY which was a steal. When/If I am in Philly again, I will probably stay there to see how it turned out as long as the rates haven't gone up too much.

--Jon
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Pro, Marriott Platinum, Sonesta Preferred
I just happen to check my account today and realized that the CY I booked a few months ago (for a Nov stay) has changed to The Notary Hotel. I always like the CY and as some of us had mentioned before, it is a cut above other CY. I hope The Notary Hotel retains the quality.

Now the question is.... Can I still clear my SNA now that it has gone to Autograph? I had applied my SNA when I booked a few months back. I guess time will tell as to how stingy the simple name change will be on upgrades and SNA.
Old Jul 23, 19, 9:26 am

I hope this property manages to get it together post-transition because staying here the weekend before they transitioned has turned into a bit of a pain. I think my expectations were a bit skewed because it looked so pretty, but the service levels were very much "courtyard."

Check in staff was really friendly and welcoming, the new lobby looked great, and the room itself was more than we could have ever needed. We stayed on points and received a King Studio Suite with a really lovely city hall view. Water pressure was great, AC was great, and the bed was okay.

Now for the not so lovely: I tried to use the $10/person/day credit at the coffee bar they had on site, but they had ran out of espresso and all food except one bagel at 9:00am on a Saturday. After letting the front desk know that I honestly just want a coffee and a pastry they comped the breakfast buffet they had set up in a conference room. It was decent but not worth paying anything for considering the terminal market like 40 yards away. Still, I appreciate that they were willing to extend it to me.

Other weird service failings include maintenance banging on our door on Sunday afternoon while we still had the do not disturb sign on the door. Apparently they were installing a new TV system and wanted to know if they could come in.... I said no and they left but they were clearly not deterred by the do not disturb sign. That said, thank heavens they were installing a new TV system because the old system had like 15 channels and half of them were analog.

Before we left we decided to grab a couple bottles of water and whatever candy bars they had to use up our second days' platinum credit. We rang everything up, the desk agent comped one of the items for us and said that we were all set and we should receive our emailed folio. Well stupid me thought that "all set" equaled "zero balance" which in hindsight was probably unfair. Lo and behold I check the folio I received and they didn't apply the credit. I called the front desk, but with the transition their phone system doesn't seem to be totally set up. I eventually got someone on the line and they transferred me to accounting. Accounting said they don't have access to any systems and couldn't help. I had to insist they give me the info of someone who could and as a result I have now been playing phone tag with the assistant manager for a week now who at first insisted that he had never heard of a $20 credit and that it's only $10. I had to correct him that it is $10 per guest and he agreed to erase the $17 charge that hit our card and send out an updated folio. That was last Wednesday and the charge remains and I haven't heard back from him. I feel like a bit of a doofus complaining about $17 but come on man.

Overall this place looks really great now, the location was awesome if you want to be central, and the staff really does seem to be friendly. I think they just need to get more into the mindset of a boutique or luxury minded hotel and leave their courtyard days behind them.

edit: As of this morning (7/29) the charge was refunded - the assistant manager apologized and stated that they are very busy with the transition
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by mag_nate; Jul 29, 19 at 12:10 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: