Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Notary Hotel, Autograph Collection, Philadelphia, PA USA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC

Courtyard by Marriott Philadelphia Downtown

21 N Juniper St Philadelphia, PA US 19107

Two day stay at the Marriott in Philly (7 Photos)

Courtyard by Marriott Philadelphia Downtown

Just completed a two night stay at the Marriott in Philly.

Overall, I had mixed feelings regarding this hotel. On the minus side, there didn't seem to be any closets in my room and I wasn't sure whether this was due to it being an accessible room. The hotel is definitely showing its age and the walls are razor thin - I could hear people talking in the next room. The concierge lounge wasn't open on Saturdays and was only open in the evenings on Sundays - I am guessing they mainly cater to business people. On the plus side, the lounge attendants and the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The gym is decent. The hotel comped breakfast including tip which was a pleasant surprise. I would stay here again if I got a great rate and if I needed to be in the area. (I mentioned earlier I was attending a conference at the Loews Hotel which is right across the street.) I'd probably stick with Le Meridien or Hyatt at the Bellevue, which has access to The Sporting Club so I can get in a full workout.

Check In

I originally booked a three night stay on two separate reservations (one at the MR rate and one at a cheaper prepaid rate) and I was taking a redeye flight from SFO and wanted a room to be available upon arrival. I also asked the virtual concierge to put me in the same room for the two reservations. I was told no problem... just have the front desk update your key card the next morning. Upon arriving at around 7am, the person at the front desk told me that one of my reservations was cancelled. :( He was able to rectify the situation by creating a new reservation for that day and allowed me to check in early so I ended up being charged two nights instead of three. :)However, I was only given what was available at the time and ended up with an accessible room on the 19th floor. Pics below:

Room

Gym

Two day stay at the Marriott in Philly

Would you like to write a review on the Courtyard by Marriott Philadelphia Downtown?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 4, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite

There's now an official page at Marriott.com for The Notary Hotel, Autograph Collection in Philadelphia: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ph-collection/

It's the former Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown — across from Philadelphia City Hall and a block from the Marriott Philadelphia Downtown. It's been a number of years since I stayed there. The location was terrific, very central. It was an excellent Courtyard then and should be even better now with its upgrade to Autograph Collection standards.

Marriott.com indicates that The Notary Hotel, Autograph Collection is "Opening in June 2019" and will be category 4.

PR NewsWire has a press release about what to expect: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300842172.html

The news of the conversion goes back to 2017, so they've taken their time to make it happen: https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/cou...ph-collection/

Last edited by Horace; May 5, 2019 at 8:37 am
Old May 4, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold)
I actually got to stay in the one of these renovated rooms by accident in early January.
I came in early one day after my morning red-eye and they gave me one of these rooms, although they had me change rooms the same day. I assume they were still doing work on the floor as the Wi-Fi speed was horrendous.

The renovated room was nicer than the older Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown room, but that's not really saying too much.
Only thing that really stood out to me compared to the older room was the TV, which was a thin panel, and the table that you share with the TV.

Last edited by TheIronWill; May 4, 2019 at 3:05 pm
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:52 am

Now looks like it will be a category 5 and allegedly reopening this month - although they still are not taking reservations.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Lipstick on a pig?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Lipstick on a pig?
While I am not sure of the extent of the remodel for the conversion to Autograph Collection, even as a Courtyard it was a very nice property far exceeding typical brand standards. It was my favorite Center City property to stay at. So even if it is essentially just a normal periodic room refresh, it still wouldn't be lipstick on a pig. I know they were doing extensive renovations to the lobby and restaurant. My business travel has changed recently and I no longer go to Philadelphia regularly, so I haven't been able to check in on the progress. The open question is what will the typical rates be? My corporate was well under $200 a night when it was a CY which was a steal. When/If I am in Philly again, I will probably stay there to see how it turned out as long as the rates haven't gone up too much.

--Jon
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Pro, Marriott Platinum, Sonesta Preferred
I just happen to check my account today and realized that the CY I booked a few months ago (for a Nov stay) has changed to The Notary Hotel. I always like the CY and as some of us had mentioned before, it is a cut above other CY. I hope The Notary Hotel retains the quality.

Now the question is.... Can I still clear my SNA now that it has gone to Autograph? I had applied my SNA when I booked a few months back. I guess time will tell as to how stingy the simple name change will be on upgrades and SNA.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Airline Nobody
I hope this property manages to get it together post-transition because staying here the weekend before they transitioned has turned into a bit of a pain. I think my expectations were a bit skewed because it looked so pretty, but the service levels were very much "courtyard."

Check in staff was really friendly and welcoming, the new lobby looked great, and the room itself was more than we could have ever needed. We stayed on points and received a King Studio Suite with a really lovely city hall view. Water pressure was great, AC was great, and the bed was okay.

Now for the not so lovely: I tried to use the $10/person/day credit at the coffee bar they had on site, but they had ran out of espresso and all food except one bagel at 9:00am on a Saturday. After letting the front desk know that I honestly just want a coffee and a pastry they comped the breakfast buffet they had set up in a conference room. It was decent but not worth paying anything for considering the terminal market like 40 yards away. Still, I appreciate that they were willing to extend it to me.

Other weird service failings include maintenance banging on our door on Sunday afternoon while we still had the do not disturb sign on the door. Apparently they were installing a new TV system and wanted to know if they could come in.... I said no and they left but they were clearly not deterred by the do not disturb sign. That said, thank heavens they were installing a new TV system because the old system had like 15 channels and half of them were analog.

Before we left we decided to grab a couple bottles of water and whatever candy bars they had to use up our second days' platinum credit. We rang everything up, the desk agent comped one of the items for us and said that we were all set and we should receive our emailed folio. Well stupid me thought that "all set" equaled "zero balance" which in hindsight was probably unfair. Lo and behold I check the folio I received and they didn't apply the credit. I called the front desk, but with the transition their phone system doesn't seem to be totally set up. I eventually got someone on the line and they transferred me to accounting. Accounting said they don't have access to any systems and couldn't help. I had to insist they give me the info of someone who could and as a result I have now been playing phone tag with the assistant manager for a week now who at first insisted that he had never heard of a $20 credit and that it's only $10. I had to correct him that it is $10 per guest and he agreed to erase the $17 charge that hit our card and send out an updated folio. That was last Wednesday and the charge remains and I haven't heard back from him. I feel like a bit of a doofus complaining about $17 but come on man.

Overall this place looks really great now, the location was awesome if you want to be central, and the staff really does seem to be friendly. I think they just need to get more into the mindset of a boutique or luxury minded hotel and leave their courtyard days behind them.

edit: As of this morning (7/29) the charge was refunded - the assistant manager apologized and stated that they are very busy with the transition
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by mag_nate; Jul 29, 2019 at 11:10 am
Old Apr 26, 2021, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Any recent stays?

Booked two nights here in July. It's right near the Avis city office, so we'll return the rental car and pick up a new one when we travel south. Looking for something central to see the local tourist stuff without having to use a car.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
When I booked the hotel, it was cheaper than the nearby Courtyard, Residence Inn (preferred chain), and Marriott. Closer towards check-in, the Le Meridien down the street actually was about the same price, but I chose to keep the reservation.

My sister and I had separate reservations (she was driving down from NYC, and we were flying in from Sweden and driving down from EWR). The front desk was able to put us on the same floor (15th, which is the top floor). I booked a 2 queen room, and we got a corner room. It was very spacious, and had an obstructed view of City Hall. My sister got a view of the Ben Franklin bridge. My in-app requests for extra towels was fulfilled, but we were only provided with enough shower soaps for two people (at most); I noted it to the front desk for housekeeping, and they went overboard the next day. If there was a complaint about the room it was the lack of power outlets near the beds. The plugs in the lamp on the nightstand were very loose fitting; and the antiquated iPod dock needs to be replaced with something else; like that clock thingy at most other Marriotts with two power ports and two USB ports.

The hotel was beautiful, and the location cannot be beat. The staff we interacted with throughout our stay were all professional and pleasant to deal with. If priced competitively with aforementioned hotels above, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.
dgreen12 and dcmike like this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Any more recent stays at this property? We're coming to Philadelphia from December 30 through January 3 -- no, not for the Mummers, but for an Eagles game at Lincoln Financial Field on 12/31. Moving to the Notary on 1/1 for 2 nights (staying at Navy Yards Courtyard prior to this).

Feedback/impressions welcome. Still time to move elsewhere if needed.

Also, any good breweries or food options nearby would be appreciated. Feel free to PM if you don't want to clog up the thread.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 1:18 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Any more recent stays at this property? We're coming to Philadelphia from December 30 through January 3 -- no, not for the Mummers, but for an Eagles game at Lincoln Financial Field on 12/31. Moving to the Notary on 1/1 for 2 nights (staying at Navy Yards Courtyard prior to this).

Feedback/impressions welcome. Still time to move elsewhere if needed.

Also, any good breweries or food options nearby would be appreciated. Feel free to PM if you don't want to clog up the thread.
I've stayed here 4 or 5 times in the past year. IMO, it's one of the best Marriott properties in Philly (i bounce between here and the W depending on the price). No lounge but breakfast in the restaurant (choose off menu and they comp it). No problems with service but I don't ask much other than extra pillows. Great coffee shop in the lobby area. Haven't used the pool or fitness center yet. If you have any specific questions, let me know.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 6:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist
Had a short one night stay here recently and really enjoyed it! It's a great looking historic hotel that has had some nice renovations over the years to keep the rooms modern.

Upgraded as a Platinum in app ahead of time to the "Executive Corner Suite", which is really just a large corner room...they consider it a "studio suite" but there's nothing remotely suite-ish about the room. However, the room is quite nice! Large beautiful shower, and decent size bathroom in general. My room had nice large windows with a great view of the Philly skyline. I was worried about light leaking into the room from the large windows but the blackout curtains did quite well! I really liked the many notary-related decorations spread throughout the room and hotel itself. I will also note that the hotel had a wonderful pumped-in smell!

The staff were all very friendly and quick. My biggest gripe with the property is that it's valet-only, but that seems par for the course for Philly downtown hotels. It was $68/night for valet with in and out privileges. It was pretty easy to order the vehicle ahead of time - though they told me to do it 30 minutes in advance.

The location was definitely the best part - close to everything, but also relatively quiet.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I were in the area!
Old Feb 6, 2024, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by WaterBottle18
Had a short one night stay here recently and really enjoyed it! It's a great looking historic hotel that has had some nice renovations over the years to keep the rooms modern.

Upgraded as a Platinum in app ahead of time to the "Executive Corner Suite", which is really just a large corner room...they consider it a "studio suite" but there's nothing remotely suite-ish about the room. However, the room is quite nice! Large beautiful shower, and decent size bathroom in general. My room had nice large windows with a great view of the Philly skyline. I was worried about light leaking into the room from the large windows but the blackout curtains did quite well! I really liked the many notary-related decorations spread throughout the room and hotel itself. I will also note that the hotel had a wonderful pumped-in smell!

The staff were all very friendly and quick. My biggest gripe with the property is that it's valet-only, but that seems par for the course for Philly downtown hotels. It was $68/night for valet with in and out privileges. It was pretty easy to order the vehicle ahead of time - though they told me to do it 30 minutes in advance.

The location was definitely the best part - close to everything, but also relatively quiet.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I were in the area!
I should've posted after our New Year's stay. The valet prices really made me happy to simply use Uber/Lyft for the trip. Of course we never left the city and arrived at the airport - I'm sure that doesn't work for everyone.

Enjoyed the hotel. Corner suite for us too. Was given free breakfast in the restaurant, which we passed on one day and walked to the Reading Terminal Market instead. Would stay here again, likely wouldn't take the breakfast next time.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
... Haven't used the pool or fitness center yet. If you have any specific questions, let me know.
Is there a pool? I thought the W was the only Marriott hotel in CC that has a pool?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.