Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

New Award stay Policy?-cancel within policy, charged full $ ?

Old May 4, 2019, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat

Have not noticed this before- Am I reading this wrong? Cancel an award stay within policy and they will charge you the full $ amount of the stay, but refund the points?

Side note- Love the use of the word "penalty". Really gives you a warm feeling.

Ritz Lake Tahoe

Old May 4, 2019, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes this is spreading like the plague, particularly at high end properties. It's basically intended to discourage people from booking points stays.

It's a massive devaluation of the Marriott program and our points balances.

And Marriott won't do a thing about it.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I think charging the cost of a stay if you don't cancel by the stated deadline (i.e., within the date - wording could be better) has been around for a while. There were many discussions of it on the legacy SPG forum. SPG had a policy that you could substitute the forfeiture of points instead of the cash - I don't know if the new program has that option.

"Cancellation penalty" is fairly standard terminology, IME.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CPRich
I think charging the cost of a stay if you don't cancel by the stated deadline (i.e., within the date - wording could be better) has been around for a while.
Making award stays nonrefundable/nonchangeable and taking a nonrefundable deposit calculated at the full rack rate for the length of the stay is a completely new phenomenon.

It is IMO the single most abusive, customer unfriendly policy you will see in any of the major programs.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

This has to be worded incorrectly? If not, all award stays, at least at this property (Ritz Tahoe), are non refundable.
GoPhils likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Making award stays nonrefundable/nonchangeable and taking a nonrefundable deposit calculated at the full rack rate for the length of the stay is a completely new phenomenon.

It is IMO the single most abusive, customer unfriendly policy you will see in any of the major programs.
OP’s scenario is different. This is a policy that has always existed. If one cancelled an award stay after the cancellation deadline (I suppose that’s what “cancel within policy” means) a cancellation penalty would apply and points would be returned to the member’s account. Even with SPG it was like that, although after a T&C’s revision in the late 2000’s SPG started allowing members to reverse the cash charge and forfeit the points instead, but members had to request that after the fact (ie after the penalty was charged) and within a specified time limit.Also, deposits for award stays are refundable in the event of a timely cancellation. However, such practice is clearly unfriendly and directed at dissuading members from booking award stays.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by I 40
This has to be worded incorrectly? If not, all award stays, at least at this property (Ritz Tahoe), are non refundable.
I doubt that it is incorrect. The intent is that if one cancels inside the cancellation deadline, one pays the "dollar amount" for the full stay as booked. That "dollar amount" appears to be the rack rate (in the property's discretion).

Bottom line is that I would carefully review the appropriate travel insurance covering your stay. If you become ill and cannot travel on a points stay and are then charged $500 per day, is that $500 per day covered?
Old May 4, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: DL DM
Isn’t the example shown by the OP for the prepay and save option? If so, I always understood prepay stays had no option to cancel. So, is the beef that canceling reverts to $s versus points?
Old May 4, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Often1
I doubt that it is incorrect. The intent is that if one cancels inside the cancellation deadline, one pays the "dollar amount" for the full stay as booked. That "dollar amount" appears to be the rack rate (in the property's discretion).

Bottom line is that I would carefully review the appropriate travel insurance covering your stay. If you become ill and cannot travel on a points stay and are then charged $500 per day, is that $500 per day covered?
None of my credit cards’ travel insurance would cover this. I occasionally buy a trip cancellation policy that covers up to $12k. And a few airlines also offer travel insurance policies that cover trip cancellation, including cancellation expenses for hotels and other nonrefundable activities. For instance, Emirates’ travel insurance policy (I think it’s AIG) covers trip cancellation up to something like $50k
Old May 4, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
#MarriottHatesItsCustomers
Old May 4, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cre95
Isn’t the example shown by the OP for the prepay and save option? If so, I always understood prepay stays had no option to cancel. So, is the beef that canceling reverts to $s versus points?
Except it’s an inflated cash amount.

OP, have a look at the “Outrageous No Show Fee at St Regis Aspen” thread. Same issue except guy showed up a day late due to weather issues and notified the hotel!
strickerj likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Is the same warning message displayed with the normal members (non-prepay) rate?
Old May 4, 2019, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Not a prepay. I don't think I have ever seen a prepay award stay.

The language is on the first results page after selecting a date, and before you choose a room/ pay option.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:07 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Before long some poor family is going to have to cancel their vacation of a lifetime on points because of illness and will be hit with a $30,000 bill on top of everything else by Marriott and it will hit the media.

It’s a properly nasty, unpleasant policy which claws back in ridiculously high payments some of the cost to Marriott of offering points. I don’t know what i’d do if I was hit with a multi thousand $ bill, but if I was under EU court jurisdiction I’d certainly be tempted to take it to trial as Marriott would lose.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
If the option is given of giveup the points or get charged then this is fair. However as this isn't the case then this is simply a policy which shows Marriott for its true colours, to say its Nasty is an understatement, frankly its disgusting and gives me another reason not to trust Marriott one little bit!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.