Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

New Award stay Policy?-cancel within policy, charged full $ ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Award stay Policy?-cancel within policy, charged full $ ?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 2:31 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
This thread along with the Aspen one is distressing.

It seems that the hotel is stating they will charge you for the entire stay in cash if you cancel your points reservation - though their verbiage is so confusing I can’t be certain.

I was curious what their policy is on cash stays and after reading the attached screenshot 10 times I still don’t understand it.

Is the penalty $980.64? (The deposit). The $879.84 they quote in the terms? Or “all the nights of your reservation” they state?

The last sentence could be read two ways:
1. The fee is for “the room charge plus tax” for all the nights of your reservation. Or
2. The fee is for the room charge plus “tax for all the nights of your reservation”

I hate the vague and contradictory language Marriott uses in their terms and conditions. If certainly reads as if it is intentionally designed to obfuscate.

If the penalty for canceling a points stay is higher than the penalty for canceling a paid stay that is a terrible precedent. And even if the penalties are identical- it is a major negative trend in points redemptions.

i am hoping there will be some official clarification from Marriott soon, because if this is a new policy that more hotels will be adopting it’s a game changer (and not the good kind)

Kacee and strickerj like this.

Last edited by damon88; May 6, 2019 at 9:45 pm
Old May 4, 2019, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does "only credit cards" mean that someone who doesn't have a credit card--for example, someone who uses debit cards--can never redeem Bonvoy points?
Old May 4, 2019, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
If the option is given of giveup the points or get charged then this is fair. However as this isn't the case then this is simply a policy which shows Marriott for its true colours, to say its Nasty is an understatement, frankly its disgusting and gives me another reason not to trust Marriott one little bit!
To be fair, this is not just a Marriott phenomenon. Other chains do it, too. In fact, the language quoted by Damon88 is comparatively clear about the penalty. In contrast, this is what an IHG reservation says:

Canceling your reservation before 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on Thursday, 23 May, 2019 will result in no charge. Canceling your reservation after 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on 23 May, 2019, or failing to show, will result in a charge of 1 night per room to your credit card. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation.
For years I assumed this language was just copied over from revenue reservations and really meant "you'll lose your points;" only once some threads where people cancelled/no-showed and were charged a huge cash fee showed up on FT did I realize that IHG actually is talking about a cash penalty here. I agree with EuropeanPete that this really ought to be tested in court; what the cancellation notice ought to say is "if you cancel this reservation after the deadline --a reservation which you deliberately made on points so you wouldn't spend money-- we will refund your points and charge you a cash penalty. This cash penalty may be our rack rate, which is much higher than any of the rates you were just shown (and didn't choose)."
Old May 4, 2019, 10:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jpdx
To be fair, this is not just a Marriott phenomenon.
But the IHG language you quote only imposes a one-night penalty. I agree that is common across chains.

What various Marriott properties are now doing is taking a deposit for the full length of stay - i.e., 5 night stay = 5 nights rack rate deposit, all of which is forfeited if there's a cancel. That's orders of magnitude more punitive than a one-night charge.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
But the IHG language you quote only imposes a one-night penalty. I agree that is common across chains.

What various Marriott properties are now doing is taking a deposit for the full length of stay - i.e., 5 night stay = 5 nights rack rate deposit, all of which is forfeited if there's a cancel. That's orders of magnitude more punitive than a one-night charge.
This was my thoughts to, one night isnt great but say you ahve a 5 nights points reservation it maybe preferable to loose 1 nights rack rate over 5 nights points but to be charges 5 nights rack rate does not seem to be what IHG do and to not give the option to pay with the points you booked with is to me simply an abuse. You should be able to pay for your room even if you no show by the way you booked it!
Old May 5, 2019, 4:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Just block your credit card before you cancel, and the hotel wont be able to charge that ridiculous amount.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by warakorn
Just block your credit card before you cancel, and the hotel wont be able to charge that ridiculous amount.
I wouldn’t count on that working.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Isn't Lake Tahoe within the U.S.? Why do that hotel writes like someone who does not speak English as a native language?

"Within policy" - What does that even mean in the context of a cancellation policy, and why do we have to guess? To me, "within policy" may mean I can cancel before the cancellation deadline.
I 40, Yul_voyager and strickerj like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I wouldn’t count on that working.
I can block my credit card with my banking app. Nothing goes through then. My bank wont issue any authorization code.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I don't like it one bit, it's as bad as the resort fees, but sadly Marriott isn't alone here.

Went to make a booking at the HH Niseko for next March in case the Hilton never opens up and they wanted full deposit within 24 hours with an unclear cancel policy (maybe 60 days?).

Wasn't about to put up a potentially non-refundable $2k deposit on my CC for an award stay.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Is this only for specific dates? On the app I am seeing according to the rate details that they will only charge the cash cancel penalty if you cancel within 7 days of arrival, however it does also say that award reservations require cash prepayments of the full amount.

It looks like all their cash rates are prepaid. IMO it appears they just copy and pasted the policy from cash stays onto award stays and it might be a mistake, but I guess with Marriott you never know these days.

Edit: Just noticed if you search without dates, it does show the phrase from OP (same thing at the famous St Regis Aspen, admittedly I haven’t read that whole thread). I’m amazed that someone would approve wording apparently for multiple hotels about “canceling within policy,” unless it actually does mean that award stays are non-refundable - but if so that would seem to directly contradict with the rate details when you go to make the reservation.

Last edited by GoPhils; May 5, 2019 at 6:20 am
Old May 5, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Does anyone know how Hilton’s policy compares? This could be the last straw for me. I only care about hotel loyalty programs for the points and for the upgrades, which have been spotty at best even as an AE this year (one suite upgrade out of 33 nights so far this year). I run a consulting practice, my wife is an investment banker, and sometimes things change on short notice. If they are imposing steep financial penalties for having to cancel points stays, the points are meaningless to me. I’d rather just book in cash where at most one night’s rate is at risk.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by acrophobia
Does anyone know how Hilton’s policy compares?....
This is from a Hilton award stay in a few months: (So one night BAR in cash if no show, or cancel within two days before arriva)

Cancellation Policy

Free cancellation before 11:59pm local hotel time on xxx Sep 2019. (2 days before arrival)

Points will be deducted from your balance and a Reward Certificate will be issued at the time of booking confirmation.

Reward value rates quoted apply and are only valid for arrival date and length of stay shown. A printed copy of this confirmation will include the Reward Confirmation ID required for check-in.

No-shows or cancellations of Reward Stay Reservations outside of the time frame set by the hotel's individual cancellation policy will be charged one night's room and tax at the hotel's Best Available Rate for that date.
acrophobia likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
Originally Posted by GoPhils

Edit: Just noticed if you search without dates, it does show the phrase from OP (same thing at the famous St Regis Aspen, admittedly I haven’t read that whole thread). I’m amazed that someone would approve wording apparently for multiple hotels about “canceling within policy,” unless it actually does mean that award stays are non-refundable - but if so that would seem to directly contradict with the rate details when you go to make the reservation.
I should have mentioned that in the OP as well . Once you go to finalize the award stay reservation, there is much clearer language that states you can cancel within 7 days, which contradicts the earlier language I referred to in OP. Screen shot for safety.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by I 40
I should have mentioned that in the OP as well . Once you go to finalize the award stay reservation, there is much clearer language that states you can cancel within 7 days, which contradicts the earlier language I referred to in OP. Screen shot for safety.
But it does say they're going to charge your CC the full cash rate in advance, correct? Did you make the reservation?

Note: I just checked from a PC, and do see the "if cancelled within the cancellation policy" nonsense up top, interesting that that is not clear on the app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.