Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

“Tips Appreciated “ jar at the Fairfield Inn breakfast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Tips Appreciated “ jar at the Fairfield Inn breakfast

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by Dav77

where exacly do the rest of the world manage it just fine ?
Asia? Europe?
muji likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Asia? Europe?
Asia ? 😂 Where ? Asia is such a big country

Europe ? Maybe in Scandinavia ... i think no even in Germany, so it's useless to talk about other european countries

then, if i'm completely missing the point, sorry
Old May 4, 2019, 5:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I suspect that the point that tipping as in the US (with its racially loaded history, gaps in living wages and limited welfare state) is a uniquely american thing. So yes, I think you might have missed it somewhat

Of course, elsewhere many people in hospitality are poor (compared to their own economy or compared to tourists) and of course different levels of tipping also exist elsewhere nowadays.
ryw likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I suspect that the point that tipping as in the US (with its racially loaded history, gaps in living wages and limited welfare state) is a uniquely american thing. So yes, I think you might have missed it somewhat

Of course, elsewhere many people in hospitality are poor (compared to their own economy or compared to tourists) and of course different levels of tipping also exist elsewhere nowadays.
i supposed the point was the rest of the world (except USA) pay good salaries to basic employees in hospitality that they don't need to be increased, and tips also to live decently
Old May 4, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I guess what is surprising to me is FT folks either can't afford it - or just unwilling to give a few bucks.

These folks need the money - why doesn't everyone understand that. It isn't their fault if their employers don't pay enough.
I don't think anyone disagrees with the fact that many of them need the money. I, and I assume others, disagree that I should be subsidizing their pay. You say it's not their fault their employers don't pay enough, but the insinuation is that it's my fault as a customer, and I'm expected to make up for their employer -- for a job where they knew the wage (without tips) when they accepted it. Again, where it's built into the pay structure (such as a server making $2/hr + tips) I happily tip and tip generously. I had minimum wage jobs at one time. In fact, my first job AFTER graduating from college was $21k/yr. It was an office job, so no one tipped me.

It also doesn't mean that because I don't put money in tip jars I don't care about the less fortunate. I donate money to charities of my choice. I don't think that having a full time job working for a big company like Marriott is or should be a charity.

I think it's inappropriate to try to shame people by comparing tipping to a charity for the less fortunate.
Zeeb and strickerj like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by JBord
I don't think anyone disagrees with the fact that many of them need the money. I, and I assume others, disagree that I should be subsidizing their pay. You say it's not their fault their employers don't pay enough, but the insinuation is that it's my fault as a customer, and I'm expected to make up for their employer -- for a job where they knew the wage (without tips) when they accepted it. Again, where it's built into the pay structure (such as a server making $2/hr + tips) I happily tip and tip generously. I had minimum wage jobs at one time. In fact, my first job AFTER graduating from college was $21k/yr. It was an office job, so no one tipped me.

It also doesn't mean that because I don't put money in tip jars I don't care about the less fortunate. I donate money to charities of my choice. I don't think that having a full time job working for a big company like Marriott is or should be a charity.

I think it's inappropriate to try to shame people by comparing tipping to a charity for the less fortunate.
even workers pick up tomatoes without a regular contract know the wage and accept it ...

of course, someone could say that they have an alternative, just letting them due without any job

no need to comment the rest of your message
Old May 4, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by londonexpert

this is such a ........e statement.
Me as a customer shouldn’t pay for other people’s livelihoods.
What do you think what you pay at the register does?
Old May 4, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dav77

even workers pick up tomatoes without a regular contract know the wage and accept it ...

of course, someone could say that they have an alternative, just letting them due without any job

no need to comment the rest of your message
I'm not sure what your point is. Yes, everyone who accepts a job offer knows the wage. They also know if they should expect to receive tips as part of that job. I have no problem at all if you or anyone else wants to give money to the less fortunate. I do it through other means. But I simply disagree that they should be asking for it via a tip jar which is set out for the sole intention of making people feel like they should tip.

BTW, not everyone with a low paid job is less fortunate. As I mentioned, they could have dual incomes, and taken the job because they wanted something flexible and part time -- this is very often true with parents who want some extra income but want to be with their kids before and after school. They could be retired and keeping busy. It's a bit of a stereotype to think everyone who works in a job that pays less than yours is "less fortunate". For several years after I graduated from college I made less than most restaurant workers (in an average priced restaurant not fast food) -- should they have tipped me because I accepted a job that paid less than theirs???

I'll leave it at that as I've made my point, and I think this is probably getting close to OMNI territory and no longer about Marriott (which I assume would ask that FI property to remove the tip jar if they knew about it).
Old May 4, 2019, 9:37 am

I'm not sure what your point is. Yes, everyone who accepts a job offer knows the wage. They also know if they should expect to receive tips as part of that job. I have no problem at all if you or anyone else wants to give money to the less fortunate. I do it through other means. But I simply disagree that they should be asking for it via a tip jar which is set out for the sole intention of making people feel like they should tip.

BTW, not everyone with a low paid job is less fortunate. As I mentioned, they could have dual incomes, and taken the job because they wanted something flexible and part time -- this is very often true with parents who want some extra income but want to be with their kids before and after school. They could be retired and keeping busy. It's a bit of a stereotype to think everyone who works in a job that pays less than yours is "less fortunate". For several years after I graduated from college I made less than most restaurant workers (in an average priced restaurant not fast food) -- should they have tipped me because I accepted a job that paid less than theirs???

I'll leave it at that as I've made my point, and I think this is probably getting close to OMNI territory and no longer about Marriott (which I assume would ask that FI property to remove the tip jar if they knew about it).
yes, you already told you graduated from college...and you accepted some very humil job without any tip

you are surely a self made man...

but it is so simple to let these emloyees free to ask for some tips.

Maybe they weren't so clever or intelligent to graduate at college...or sometimes they had not parents able to pay for them to go ....

Newman likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

In addition, in some cases people seek travel industry jobs for the travel benefits. Marriott employees benefit from the friends and family rates (basically the marginal cost to the property of having a room occupied rather than empty) at all Starriott hotels when they travel.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not suggesting no tip, but self service doesn't deserve 20% normally.

To me, 20% is the norm for a fine dining (with associated fine service) tip or what one might grudgingly tip in a normal full service restaurant in places like NYC. It's not a normal Fairfield Inn buffet tip in some podunk suburb or small town in the boondocks.

To me, tipping is a highly personal matter. It is an individual's choice, to leave a gratuity in any amount, or not at all, but in no case is it appropriate to question their motivation(s) for doing so.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by SCEflyer; May 4, 2019 at 2:30 pm Reason: Moved comment.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I really admire the chutzpah of the cat running the omelet station at the HSV Westin. He sets his jar out first thing in the morning pre-loaded with a couple of Jacksons ($20 bills for you non-US members). Of course he knows that I'm not going to fall into line with such an audacious suggestion, but due to the heavy presence of various space programs in the area he knows he's got a lot of foreign visitors he may very well hoodwink into thinking that's a norm which should be complied with.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Nothing triggers flyer talkers like a tip jar.....

Another tip jar thread.....
Old May 4, 2019, 4:20 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kklems
Reminders me of a recent stay at a FI, I was standing in line and my daughter asked me why the eggs looked weird. I told her they were powdered eggs and the older lady manning the breakfast vehemently denied they were powdered.
Just to get back to the FI Breakfast topic...there's a reason the brand standard is "freshly scrambled eggs," and not "fresh scrambled eggs." It is possible that they are not powdered, but in fact liquid
Old May 4, 2019, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My dry cleaner has a tip jar, as does pretty much every coffee shop in the State of California.

I don't see what the big deal is. If you want to leave a tip for the servers at the FFI, they've now made it easy for you. If you don't want to leave a tip, don't.
Originally Posted by ryw
there's a reason the brand standard is "freshly scrambled eggs," and not "fresh scrambled eggs." It is possible that they are not powdered, but in fact liquid
I once saw staff carrying a very large plastic bag of liquid "eggs" into the kitchen at the San Diego Marriott Marquis. I've tried to block that vision from my mind ever since.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.