Apple Pay at Marriott hotels

Old May 2, 19, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Apple Pay at Marriott hotels

Does anyone have experience paying their hotel bill using Apple Pay (Amex)?

I found this old press release but not sure this program was expanded to more hotels:
https://news.marriott.com/2015/03/ap...to-its-guests/
Old May 2, 19, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EP, DL PL, SPG & IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*, EC EE
I've done it. Saved my butt on trips where I forgot my wallet.
Old May 2, 19, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jetplane86 View Post

I found this old press release but not sure this program was expanded to more hotels:
https://news.marriott.com/2015/03/ap...to-its-guests/
As this is a feature of the CC processing company chosen by the property, I would guess it will be up to each property to decide if they want to incur the added expense. I use Samsung Pay when I can but find many stores don't want to change out their unit, especially many had to do it not too long ago to handle the chips. I suspect all new services will offer the benefit.
Old May 2, 19, 9:07 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Yes but here PayWave is commonplace and most retailers and hotels will have PayWave-enabled devices (which is what Apple Pay uses). In backward places like the USA it's far more likely that the retailer won't have upgraded their machines. They've barely caught up with Chip-and-PIN
Old May 3, 19, 2:53 am
Original Poster

It's probably country specific. I travel mainly in the US and the UK. Given how long Apple Pay has been available in those markets and the press release, I thought more hotels would have adopted it.
Old May 3, 19, 10:17 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy LTT,
FWIW Samsung pay works in more scenarios as it supports the old magnetic stripe readers by mimicking a physical card in addition to the more modern readers compatible with Apple Pay.
KRSW likes this.
Old May 3, 19, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Okijames View Post
FWIW Samsung pay works in more scenarios as it supports the old magnetic stripe readers by mimicking a physical card in addition to the more modern readers compatible with Apple Pay.
Hmm that's interesting! Would that work at the hotel you think?
Old May 3, 19, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Okijames View Post
Hmmm, I've never seen that. NFC has to be on for Samsung Pay (and turns it on and off as needed). I've never seen a means to do a magnetic scan, but I always carry real cards in case needed.
Old May 3, 19, 6:08 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I've seen it in Europe where tap to pay is more prevalent, but yet to stay at a property where they accepted in the US or Asia.
Old May 4, 19, 5:52 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Marriott Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by RTWFF View Post
Yes but here PayWave is commonplace and most retailers and hotels will have PayWave-enabled devices (which is what Apple Pay uses). In backward places like the USA it's far more likely that the retailer won't have upgraded their machines. They've barely caught up with Chip-and-PIN
This requires that the credit card swiping terminal support NFC. In my experience in SE Asia, most hotels old terminals can be used for chip and pin but they often havenít updated their terminals since NFC payment became prevalent.

Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Hmmm, I've never seen that. NFC has to be on for Samsung Pay (and turns it on and off as needed). I've never seen a means to do a magnetic scan, but I always carry real cards in case needed.
It is called MST.
https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/what-is/mst/

What is MST?
Magnetic Secure Transmission, or MST, is an advanced technology that helps power Samsung Pay. It generates a magnetic signal similar to that of a traditional payment card when swiped, providing the added convenience of being able to pay quickly on the go without having to reach for your wallet. It then transmits that magnetic signal from your device to the payment terminalís card reader for further processing.

Accepted at nearly all payment terminals with a card reader, MST technology is very convenient and is even more secure than traditional methods of payment card. Samsung Pay also supports NFC payments.

*MST support may vary by country
Old May 4, 19, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why not call the property directly and speak with the front desk? You will then have a definitive answer.
Old May 4, 19, 10:18 am
glg

Hmm that's interesting! Would that work at the hotel you think?
You'd probably have to explain/convince them to try it since most hotel staff wouldn't be familiar with MST (not even all Samsung owners know it's there), so they'd just think it won't work because "Apple Pay doesn't work". Especially since most have the card reader behind the desk. I first got it with an S7 just over 3 years ago when merchants were still replacing readers for chips, so I ran into plenty of older card readers early on and it almost always worked. Cashiers would often tell me "we haven't replaced our readers yet, it doesn't take Apple Pay" and then be amazed it worked anyway.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old May 4, 19, 10:26 am
glg

Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
It's automatic, you don't have to setup anything extra. I know it always took a little longer than NFC, so I suspect it would try NFC, then if that failed, try MST, maybe alternating or something. I use it a lot less nowadays since NFC readers are so much more prevalent. I don't think it ever worked with the kind of stripe reader where you stick the card in and pull it back out (eg gas station pay-at-the-pump), but it generally worked at the kind you'd see at stores with the reader being a swipe on the side or top.

That said, I rarely tried it at a place where the card reader wasn't up front for me to use. Maybe once or twice over the years when I'd forgotten my wallet. eg, the common US restaurant where the server takes your card from the table and runs it at their terminal or a hotel where it's behind the desk.
Old May 4, 19, 12:36 pm

Just chiming in to say that Samsung Pay works even when the merchant doesn't have a contactless/NFC payment terminal. Truly fantastic.
Old May 4, 19, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glg View Post
It's automatic, you don't have to setup anything extra. I know it always took a little longer than NFC, so I suspect it would try NFC, then if that failed, try MST, maybe alternating or something. I use it a lot less nowadays since NFC readers are so much more prevalent. I don't think it ever worked with the kind of stripe reader where you stick the card in and pull it back out (eg gas station pay-at-the-pump), but it generally worked at the kind you'd see at stores with the reader being a swipe on the side or top.

That said, I rarely tried it at a place where the card reader wasn't up front for me to use. Maybe once or twice over the years when I'd forgotten my wallet. eg, the common US restaurant where the server takes your card from the table and runs it at their terminal or a hotel where it's behind the desk.
I may have to watch a lot closer. I have found many readers that didn't work and most I have to move the phone all over to find the reader. The good ones have a label showing where to place the phone. Some clerks have tried telling me Yes for Apple Pay but no for Samsung Pay,,, um no, they both use the same services IME.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: