No Barn Door (a "hidden" room type)

Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
No Barn Door (a "hidden" room type)

Booked a king room at an AC for tonight. Was a bit startled to see an exterior sink right away, but even more so to realize that there didn't seem to be a doorway to the actual WC + shower area. There is a sliding rod above and a slot on the floor for a door to move back and forth, but no door present.

Called down to the desk to ask whether this was some sort of an oversight where the door had been taken out on purpose to be repaired, or something, but not yet put back? No, they apparently have No Barn Door rooms. Obviously a no-go for couples, but thought okay for solo travelers.

Have you folks run across an "open plan" room such as this before? Pretty sure I haven't. I did the War Crimes Booth open shower once at a W, but this isn't quite the same thing.

Doorway you see is what at first it seemed management intends.

Rear view of "exterior" sink

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Apr 29, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold, National EC
Not exactly "No Door", but has already encountered the similar bathroom designs at some newer Springhill Suites. In my case the door was (still?) there but it did not have a lock of any kind.
The sink is also awful, btw, totally unpractical.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
At checkout today, turned out it was a bit of a misunderstanding. Doors to be replaced after a maintenance issue - clerks today laughed out loud at the idea of rooms without bathroom doors as standard.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
At checkout today, turned out it was a bit of a misunderstanding. Doors to be replaced after a maintenance issue - clerks today laughed out loud at the idea of rooms without bathroom doors as standard.
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
How long does it take to fix a door?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm rather sensitive to light, so noticed the night light in the bathroom.

Can't see it lasting long if they intend to have couples in those King rooms.
KRSW likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
That makes more sense. Looking at the rod above and the slotted door stop-ey thing makes it sure look like the door was missing!
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by itravelalot
How long does it take to fix a door?
Depends on what's wrong w/ it

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
This post reminds me of a warning sign I found on the barn door at a revamped FS Marriott. You just know they posted this because too many guests were breaking the doors...

MitchR and MimiB22 like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
OP - is this the AC Bellevue WA?

I ask because I saw rooms with the exterior sink and ones with a sink in an enclosed, grey-tiled room on TA.

Called the hotel and clerk said they got the same question today in person but didn't know the difference and would have to follow up...
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by flightrisk
This post reminds me of a warning sign I found on the barn door at a revamped FS Marriott. You just know they posted this because too many guests were breaking the doors...

This is yet another example of the idiots who design hotel rooms. Great idea in a design studio. Highly impractical in reality.

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by itravelalot
This is yet another example of the idiots who design hotel rooms. Great idea in a design studio. Highly impractical in reality.
Yes & no. A barn door is a bit like a pocket door, so takes up less space by sliding sideways than swinging in (especially if bathroom is small) or out. And the designers were probably watching some of the HGTV shows where barn doors are becoming very popular

Cheers.
twa777, kennycrudup, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:04 pm

I *hate* the barn doors. I don't live in a barn, nor date farm animals. For some reason designers also put in frosted glass in these doors, which is terrible when you're not traveling solo. If anyone gets up in the middle of the night, you're waking up the entire room. Making matters worse are some hotels now have motion-activated lights in the bathroom which come on full-throttle; definitely NOT appreciated at 3am.

The barn doors also don't seem to block noise either.

I have to agree with @itravelalot -- these things are probably great in the mock rooms, but your typical road dog wouldn't ever want it.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
OP - is this the AC Bellevue WA?

I ask because I saw rooms with the exterior sink and ones with a sink in an enclosed, grey-tiled room on TA.

Called the hotel and clerk said they got the same question today in person but didn't know the difference and would have to follow up...
Yes, it is. However, I only brought up the door nothing to do with exterior sink.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:56 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by KRSW
I *hate* the barn doors. I don't live in a barn, nor date farm animals. For some reason designers also put in frosted glass in these doors, which is terrible when you're not traveling solo. If anyone gets up in the middle of the night, you're waking up the entire room. Making matters worse are some hotels now have motion-activated lights in the bathroom which come on full-throttle; definitely NOT appreciated at 3am.

The barn doors also don't seem to block noise either.

I have to agree with @itravelalot -- these things are probably great in the mock rooms, but your typical road dog wouldn't ever want it.
I’d love to see the Hotel market research which says that Millenials insist on hearing each other and seeing silhouettes when using the toilet. It’s now almost every W and an increasing proportion of other hotel chains.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.