Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Barn Door (a "hidden" room type)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by stc
Well, sadly, the glass actually came in handy once. It was an Aloft in the UK (Excel) and I was traveling with a "friend". There was a frosted glass that would see into the shower. The "friend" was taking a shower. I heard a thud and could no longer "see" the "friend" although the shower was still on. After calling her name once, I opened the non-locking door and found that the "friend" was having a grand mal seizure on the shower floor. She probably wouldn't have drowned, but it was better to deal with it sooner rather than later. She turned out to be OK and didn't even wind up going to the hospital. (I had known she was epileptic although I think this was the first time I witnessed a seizure first hand.)
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Antarius
Why the use of quotes around friend. Especially given that with or without them, the point of the story remains unchanged.
Wondering the same thing, was thinking if "friend" meant something more, in a good way or like Steve, my 'friend' from work
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:49 am

Re non functional "Millennial" furnishing (the same people who picked our new nonfunctional office desks costing 10x the amount you could buy them from West Elm. If you were so idiotic to buy them)--
So I stayed at a Kimpton in Amsterdam. Possibly rack rate was $300 or so a night.

1. Frosted glass bathroom door (swinging on hinges, how antique.) Shower only, stall with swinging glass door that allows water to flood floor. I would hesitate to dry my hair in there. They hid the 220 v outlet cleverly. The 110 shaver outlet was where it usually is by the mirror. Probably saved my life.
2. Closet was a full length mirror-hanger system on rods open to the room by the bed. Hello Ramada Inn of the Eighties? Or maybe Red Roof Inn. Of course, not enough hangers, although they were top end wood suit hangers (not looped permanently to rod, they'll learn.)
3, The kicker! The heating cooling control was in the space behind the mirror on this rod assembly. No ability to see it or figure out how to adjust the temperature. A bigger hand than mine might even have trouble slipping in there to turn off the ac.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I like a stylish looking hotel room, but not at the cost of practicality. It is possible to get both if you hire a talented designer, but this isn't often the case. I don't love barn doors but I do see how they can be practical in small spaces. But I see no point to frosted glass other than to look cool. I don't mind them as long as they are fully frosted (I've encountered some with decorative designs of clear glass which offer no privacy) and open onto the hallway instead of the bedroom/living area.

Before committing to a full remodel, I think hotels should remodel one fully functioning preview room and get feedback from actual guests on what works and what doesn't. They could even offer the room free to elites in exchange for feedback.
KRSW, wrp96, scfw0x0f and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
Lots of haters it seems on this thread.

As a millennial (now 30) -- I think I'm the target demographic with this type of room and I love them so can't really fault them for this design. Functional, compact, clean, no nasty carpet that looks 30 years past its prime and has who knows what in it, Nespresso machines. Absolutely no issue with this design (with the actual door that's supposed to be there installed).

I've had a few good experiences with AC in Europe and now seek them out (though all have been solo and not with my wife -- so would probably book away if traveling with her but for my solo business travel absolutely no complaints).

To each their own -- but in this case, I completely understand what they are trying to do with this brand and think it's spot on
So, what do you do with your clothes? If there are no drawers or even baskets to put your clothes in, and a small closet with one shelf, and no luggage rack, where do you store your clothes?

If there is a small stylized pedestal sink but no shelf space in the bathroom, where do you put your toiletries bag?

I am just curious as to what the 'target demographic' does with their stuff? Have the suitcase open on the floor? I like the clean design, but I am unclear as to what I am supposed to do with my stuff if I am staying at a hotel like this for a week?

Sliding doors dont bother me, I get the space saving design of it. I just don't know what to do with my stuff with the lack of storage.

I stayed at a hotel once that had sliding wire baskets instead of dresser drawers. I actually liked that as I could put my packing cubes in each one and I didn't have to worry about the cleanliness of the drawers. But I hate 'literally' living out of a suitcase if I am staying in a hotel room for more than one night.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I stayed at a hotel once that had sliding wire baskets instead of dresser drawers. I actually liked that as I could put my packing cubes in each one and I didn't have to worry about the cleanliness of the drawers.
I stayed in one that had a bible prominently displayed in the wire "drawers". I don't object to having a bible in the room but I prefer that it's out of sight so that I don't feel like I'm being judged the entire time
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: UA, Hilton Dia, Marriott something (hard to keep it strait...?)
Had my room comped @ Fairfield Inn PVD.

At this *new* hotel the bathroom doors are also this super cool barn door style. Unfortunately mine came off the runners when I tried to shut it and I was left standing there trying to get it back on the tracks. Because these very pretty doors are also bolted to the floor and I couldn't get it back on the track I stood there (buck naked) for more than 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do, let it fall over or pull it off the floor bolt so I could at least lean it over. I felt a lil' bit like I was in B comedy...

Went to the front desk when I checked out to mention it. The FD manager, annoyed and unapologetic comped my room. My impression - this was not the first barn-door incident...
LIH Prem, not2017 and MimiB22 like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

I’d love to see the Hotel market research which says that Millenials insist on hearing each other and seeing silhouettes when using the toilet. It’s now almost every W and an increasing proportion of other hotel chains.
I've been to quite a few "trendy" hotels with no bathroom door, or one with no lock. I'm quite a smelly pooper so don't appreciate not having anything to block the stink!
KRSW, not2017, scfw0x0f and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum
I've been to quite a few "trendy" hotels with no bathroom door, or one with no lock. I'm quite a smelly pooper so don't appreciate not having anything to block the stink!
Try this...
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:43 am

I stayed at the new AC in Worcester a month ago. Similar styling. It did have the glass barn door. It did have that same odd sink, but the sink was inside the bathroom. (The other stuff in your picture was on the wall across from the bathroom.)
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: QF P, HH D
Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring here since "Millennial" has been referenced a few times. I am a millennial and have been a frequent flyer/ hoteller since I was 18 and have had plenty of experience with these bathroom types. I also don't like them, I agree sometimes a barn door is required due to space confinements but see through bathrooms with minimal to no sound blocking is quite embarrassing. Even when travelling with a significant other we really don't need to see each other using the bathroom.
wrp96 and diburning like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Shouldn't Marriott rename these hotels... Woke?
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Called down to the desk to ask whether this was some sort of an oversight where the door had been taken out on purpose to be repaired, or something, but not yet put back? No, they apparently have No Barn Door rooms. Obviously a no-go for couples, but thought okay for solo travelers.
Depends on the couple.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by drphun
I stayed at the new AC in Worcester a month ago. Similar styling. It did have the glass barn door. It did have that same odd sink, but the sink was inside the bathroom. (The other stuff in your picture was on the wall across from the bathroom.)
I don't find the sink itself "odd". In a way, the space it took up made the room seem a bit smaller, which helped make it less sterile to me. The coffee and fridge are typically found across from the bathroom at AC.

In this room, I recall small drawers by the sink. I don't use (regular) drawers for stays of a night or two, so don't pay that feature a lot of attention.

​​​
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Before committing to a full remodel, I think hotels should remodel one fully functioning preview room and get feedback from actual guests on what works and what doesn't. They could even offer the room free to elites in exchange for feedback.
I'd imagine FT'ers would be more than happy to pay the regular rate to stay in a preview room if they knew their feedback would be taken seriously. I know I'd love to have a hand in the future design of rooms. I'd love to see a lot of the frequent-travelers hacks incorporated into the permanent design of the room. Such as smoke detectors without aircraft-landing-lights for status lights, convenient power receptacles, blackout curtains which close all the way, etc.
wrp96 and MimiB22 like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
I stayed at an Aloft recently - sink right by the door to the room, then toilet in an alcove with no door, then shower with a clear (not frosted) glass door.

My boss was on the trip as well (in another room) and said it was his first time staying at an Aloft and also his last time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.