Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Princeton, NJ

Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold

I've recently begun having regular meetings in Princeton every other month (Carnegie Center area) and have so far tried two hotels: the Hyatt Regency (which is very close and fairly nice but I have no status) and the Marriott Forrestal (which is pretty far and was a little more run down than I was expecting). For my next visit in a couple of weeks, I was thinking of trying Residence Inn since it's also very near Carnegie Center, but I'm a bit wary as reviews seem to indicate that the walls are thin and that there are no desks in the rooms. (I already know there is no lounge which is also a bit of a bummer.)

Wondering if I should try the Westin Forrestal instead, go back to the Marriott, go off-brand to the Hyatt again, or what you all would recommend if you're familiar with the choices?

Thank you!

Last edited by onetess; Apr 26, 2019 at 4:57 pm
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If the Marriott was too far away, the Westin isn't going to be any better. It's been several years since I was on a project in the area for a 5 month stretch, but I stayed at the Marriott rather than the Westin.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by onetess
For my next visit in a couple of weeks, I was thinking of trying Residence Inn since it's also very near Carnegie Center, but I'm a bit wary as reviews seem to indicate that the walls are thin and that there are no desks in the rooms. (I already know there is no lounge which is also a bit of a bummer.)
You might want to try the Residence Inn once to see how it compares to the Marriott. Reviews seem to indicate it's pretty run down. While there isn't a formal desk in RIs, there is a kitchen table with chairs which is the same height as a desk & is what I've used on the times I've stayed at RIs. No problem working on it (or surfing FT ). RIs offer full breakfast & also offer free evening food/beer/wine M-W, which helps make up for the lack of a lounge. The other thing about the RI is it only earns 5pts/$. So you may want to try it once & decide then, or just stick w/ the Marriott.

Cheers.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
I stay in Princeton a few weeks per month (I have a client in New Brunswick).

The reseidence inn inn is close to the Carnegie center, however, the Marriott and Westin are only 2-3 miles further. Depending on when you need to arrive and leave each day, it’s not too bad of a commute. Route 1 gets busy but the traffic moves (during rush hour the shoulder becomes an additional lane too).

ive changed from the Marriott to the Westin and have been very pleased. The Westin is recently renovated and there are a few restaurants within walking distance.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
The Westin was renovated a bit over a year ago and is pretty nice now. Lounge too.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold
Thanks all. I think I may try the Westin this time. (The Marriott wasn't that far - it was more that it is a bit rundown, although the lounge was good.) Not sure the RI will be such a good idea!
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:40 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You might want to try the Residence Inn once to see how it compares to the Marriott. Reviews seem to indicate it's pretty run down. While there isn't a formal desk in RIs, there is a kitchen table with chairs which is the same height as a desk & is what I've used on the times I've stayed at RIs. No problem working on it (or surfing FT ). RIs offer full breakfast & also offer free evening food/beer/wine M-W, which helps make up for the lack of a lounge. The other thing about the RI is it only earns 5pts/$. So you may want to try it once & decide then, or just stick w/ the Marriott.
Cheers.
Of course the Residence Inn is going to give about 1/2 the points but probably more food in the evening. Frankly, I detest Residence Inns and most non-full-service hotels but that is me. So, it depends on what is important to you. But, I would try the Westin and then stick with either the Westin or Marriott - whichever was better.

P.S. Remember at Hyatt you don't get night credit (toward any status) if you arrive after midnight!
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by stc
Of course the Residence Inn is going to give about 1/2 the points but probably more food in the evening. Frankly, I detest Residence Inns and most non-full-service hotels but that is me. So, it depends on what is important to you. But, I would try the Westin and then stick with either the Westin or Marriott - whichever was better.
I prefer full-service properties whenever possible & SHS is my go-to for limited service, but wanted to point out that while it's not a formal desk the kitchen table in the suites is totally fine to work on (just as my kitchen table at home is), there is daily breakfast & food/drink 3 nights/week. Usually the 5pts/$ spend is a deal-breaker for most, but if a decent RI is in an area one is traveling to it's certainly an option if full-service isn't available or FS gets lousy reviews.

Given the Westin & Marriott aren't that much further & this particular RI doesn't get great reviews, I'd stick w/ the Westin (especially if renovated) or Marriott. I stayed at the Marriott before but it's been years so not qualified to speak on what it's like now.

Cheers.

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by onetess
Thanks all. I think I may try the Westin this time. (The Marriott wasn't that far - it was more that it is a bit rundown, although the lounge was good.) Not sure the RI will be such a good idea!
the M-club lounge at the Marriott is great (was there last week) and the hotel, while a bit further away, is super quiet (good for a restful sleep!) and honestly < 10 mins to Princeton by car.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
How is the Marriott Forrestal run down? I mean I suppose it's possible they are upgrading me to special renovated rooms the past 3 or 4 times I've stayed there based on my status, but the rooms I've had have the smart TVs that have YouTube/Netflix/etc, mini-fridges, walk-in showers, and high-quality bedding.

I could wish the M Club was better attended and restocked, but generally it's one of my preferred Marriott stays.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Been staying in the Princeton area a lot for a work project, both before and during Covid. Stayed multiple weeks at the Marriott Forrestal. After a series of ho-hum stays, had a very crappy experience and won't be returning.

When you have 15 guests staying at a ~200 room hotel, why the hell would you put an Ambassador Member in a room directly across from an ice machine? Especially one that apparently dumps loads of ice randomly in the middle of the night.
And when said member tries to address it, answering "we can't upgrade everyone all the time" does not really answer the question.
It isn't that great of a property anyway, and training is obviously lacking. No big loss as there are many other Marriott options in the area. Choose one of them instead.

Honestly getting a much better experience at a Courtyard now the past couple weeks. Go figure.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there's an independent historic inn right in the center of Princeton. It would be an interesting and fun place to stay.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC there's an independent historic inn right in the center of Princeton. It would be an interesting and fun place to stay.
nassau inn if that is what you are referring to..
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:25 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I'm local in Princeton. The decent hotels I'd recommend are Hyatt Place, Hampton Inn, Courtyard, Homewood Suite and Residence Inn. You can go with the full service hotels like Marriott, Westin and Hyatt Regency. They are generally older properties.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by RedSun
I'm local in Princeton. The decent hotels I'd recommend are Hyatt Place, Hampton Inn, Courtyard, Homewood Suite and Residence Inn. You can go with the full service hotels like Marriott, Westin and Hyatt Regency. They are generally older properties.
The "They" in your comment, I infer, means the three full service properties (Marriott, Westin and Hyatt Regency) are the generally older properties. Correct?

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.