Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Compensation for no A/C at Marriott Branded hotel

Compensation for no A/C at Marriott Branded hotel

Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by warakorn
It doesnt say that A/C need to be available all year long.
Actually it does.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Actually it does.
Link?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
That when a hotel says "Restaurant on site" it doesnt mean it needs to be open at all and just exist?
Restaurant doesn't have to be open at 3am or on December 25 (e.g. in Finland).
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: DL Silver, (used to be somebody here) Marriott Lifetime Titanium
what property? Sounds like the Marriott Opera location....
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The rules expressly state the A/C must be "functional." To break this into very simple concepts for you, that means when you turn it on, cold air comes out.
RAPC, EuropeanPete, EdofFX and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
but that is disclosed ahead of time.

your stance is not supported by the French hotel standards. It's not supported by general common sense. Heck, theres probably 2 people here that would agree - and they are the 2 who think that socking someone with an undisclosed 32k cancellation fee is acceptable.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
The rules expressly state the A/C must be "functional." To break this into very simple concepts for you, that means when you turn it on, cold air comes out.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tfred
what property? Sounds like the Marriott Opera location....
Hotel Banke, Paris (newly on-boarded Autograph Collection)

Thanks to the more empathetic responses here- as always there are a couple posters here who don't take a very understanding approach (they would only agree if the issue was plaguing them directly).

As an update, I have reached out to Marriott Customer Relations and they have subsequently reached out to the property GM. I've asked for one night compensation (via a refund of points), which I feel is more than fair given that this was a multi night stay. So far the property has only offered 12.500 points total (one night to redeem at this property is 50,000 points) which is only 25% off of ONE NIGHT.

Will keep everyone posted of the end result.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by globetraveler
Hotel Banke, Paris (newly on-boarded Autograph Collection)
Thanks for outing them. It's good to know how properties respond to these sorts of problems, as it's really something of a litmus test for their overall approach to guest relations.

I would absolutely take this property (which otherwise looks pretty nice) off my list based on your report.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Thanks for outing them. It's good to know how properties respond to these sorts of problems, as it's really something of a litmus test for their overall approach to guest relations.

I would absolutely take this property (which otherwise looks pretty nice) off my list based on your report.
It's a shame because it was one of the best service experiences I've had in Paris. The staff are genuine and friendly, but I was quite surprised by how they have responded to this issue. My sense is that they are not yet accustomed to an American guest expectation, standard etc. as they are new to the Marriott portfolio. The staff did mention that MANY customers were complaining about the building/rooms not having A/C.

BTW, as an aside- they did inquire with the engineering team about activating the A/C however they said it would take over 2 days to turn the pipes over. Perhaps it's time to install a modern A/C & Heating system that can accommodate both on demand. If I wanted the uncertainty of not having A/C when outside temps rise- I would have just booked a 3 star hotel.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:17 pm

If I wanted the uncertainty of not having A/C when outside temps rise- I would have just booked a 3 star hotel.
Given that the building was converted to a hotel in 2009, I'm surprised they don't have a more modern HVAC system.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
BTW, as an aside- they did inquire with the engineering team about activating the A/C however they said it would take over 2 days to turn the pipes over. Perhaps it's time to install a modern A/C & Heating system that can accommodate both on demand. If I wanted the uncertainty of not having A/C when outside temps rise- I would have just booked a 3 star hotel.
This means they are using a single system, probably water based, for heating and cooling. I would expect a 5* hotel (and frankly a 4* hotel also) to have a modern, dual-mode system. Most buildings built since the 1970s have separate heating and cooling systems because of the need to keep equipment (computers) cool even in winter. BTW, modern environmental systems do not require a vent "in situ" to the outside. That's a cheap method. Class A and B buildings mostly operate in plumbed lines with the heat or cold transfer equipment on the roof atop each line.

Having said all that, there are older, high-end properties in Canada and other cold climates where air conditioning is so rarely needed that it is not offered. Not sure if Paris would qualify as a cold climate. Glasgow or Helsinki, however, yes.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fastflyer
This means they are using a single system, probably water based, for heating and cooling. I would expect a 5* hotel (and frankly a 4* hotel also) to have a modern, dual-mode system. Most buildings built since the 1970s have separate heating and cooling systems because of the need to keep equipment (computers) cool even in winter. BTW, modern environmental systems do not require a vent "in situ" to the outside. That's a cheap method. Class A and B buildings mostly operate in plumbed lines with the heat or cold transfer equipment on the roof atop each line.

Having said all that, there are older, high-end properties in Canada and other cold climates where air conditioning is so rarely needed that it is not offered. Not sure if Paris would qualify as a cold climate. Glasgow or Helsinki, however, yes.
Interesting, thanks for the background.
I bet if Marriott is made aware and this gets flagged- it's going to create some challenges for this property. American guests will not have any tolerance for the few week periods in the Spring and Fall when temps fluctuate unknowingly. It's easier to bundle up then it is to try to cool down!
EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by globetraveler; Apr 29, 2019 at 4:26 pm
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
It's a shame because it was one of the best service experiences I've had in Paris. The staff are genuine and friendly, but I was quite surprised by how they have responded to this issue. My sense is that they are not yet accustomed to an American guest expectation, standard etc. as they are new to the Marriott portfolio. The staff did mention that MANY customers were complaining about the building/rooms not having A/C.
Not sure about not being accustomed to American guest expectations, I am from the UK and have the same expectation as you. Generally I think most guests staying at a hotel that requires that many points a night would have the expectations of you. It is more a case of the property trying to get out of giving reasonable compensation and once you have left the property really not caring!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer
This means they are using a single system, probably water based, for heating and cooling. I would expect a 5* hotel (and frankly a 4* hotel also) to have a modern, dual-mode system.
<snip>
2 pipes are cheaper than 4...could very well be a price-cutting move. Although, I do find this thread amusing considering the Marriott I usually stay in Alaska has heating and cooling available all year-round.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.