Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Compensation for no A/C at Marriott Branded hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist

We recently stayed at a Marriott category 6 property in Paris (50,000 points per night), and the hotel’s Air Conditioning was inoperative throughout the entire hotel for our stay. It just so happened that it was near 80 degree temperatures during our 4 days there, and my room was a complete oven the entire time with little to no ventilation.

While the staff did their best to make us comfortable, including changing rooms, it did not make a difference. For a “5 star” property (which I know is used loosely in Paris), my expectation is to have working A/C.

The hotel did not offer any compensation initially, but after I asked, I was offered 2,500 points for the trouble. I asked for one night’s worth of points returned which I think is more than fair. I should have just moved to a different hotel was that was going to be too much of an inconvenience. After escalating this up to the GM post stay- their max is 10,000 points.

Should I escalate with Marriott corporate?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by globetraveler
I should have just moved to a different hotel
That's what I would have done.

Given the current state of Marriott cs, I would not expect escalation to corporation would be likely to give you much satisfaction.
KRSW and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:03 am

What is an acceptable room temperature can vary by local customs and I find often the staff can be dismissive that it's as big a deal as it is for me. For example, at the Ren Beijing Capital, with the AC on the coldest setting / highest fan all day, one part of my room was 26.5 degrees C and the other 21 degrees C. For me (Canadian), this is way too hot (constantly sweating), and it also happened to be hotter in my room than it was outside. The duty manager said this was "OK for Chinese" and seemed to think that was sufficient to mitigate my concerns. I very happily changed to JW Beijing where my room could make it to 20 degrees.

10k sounds low but it's probably better to avoid the hassle versus pursuring.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
They failed to provide a feature of the room that you booked. I would want at least 1 nights points but equally I would have dealt with it on property at the time. By completing the stay and not requesting a move to another property / refund at the time it gives the hotel some indication you found the condition acceptable.

Retrospective compensation in situations like this is difficult and with Marriott currently probably not very forthcoming. A one night stay would have been different but the fact you tolerated it for 4 nights and only looking for compensation afterwards seriously weakens your position I am afraid.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
near 80 degree temperatures
Never heard of such a high temperate happening in Paris. Lower 40s is the maximum record, I assume.

my expectation is to have working A/C.
Your expectation! Did the hotel guarantee AC on 365 days a year?

and my room was a complete oven the entire time with little to no ventilation.​​​​​​​
The absolute majority of hotels in Switzerland do not have any air conditioning. And it can get hot there in the summer time.

​​​​​​​Things are different in Central Europe!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by warakorn
Never heard of such a high temperate happening in Paris. Lower 40s is the maximum record, I assume.

The absolute majority of hotels in Switzerland do not have any air conditioning. And it can get hot there in the summer time.

Things are different in Central Europe!
First off, 80 degrees in F, not C.

Secondly, you clearly are missing the point. Lastly, I'm not wasting any more time on your post
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
They failed to provide a feature of the room that you booked. I would want at least 1 nights points but equally I would have dealt with it on property at the time. By completing the stay and not requesting a move to another property / refund at the time it gives the hotel some indication you found the condition acceptable.

Retrospective compensation in situations like this is difficult and with Marriott currently probably not very forthcoming. A one night stay would have been different but the fact you tolerated it for 4 nights and only looking for compensation afterwards seriously weakens your position I am afraid.
Yes, in fact I tried during my stay, as well as at check out to complain, provide feedback etc. on the circumstance. At check out- I asked for compensation and was told that "the manager was not there and needed to make a decision on that". I find it common practice in Europe to take this approach- they rarely resolve matters immediately like they do in the US.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
We recently stayed at a Marriott category 6 property in Paris (50,000 points per night), and the hotel’s Air Conditioning was inoperative throughout the entire hotel for our stay. It just so happened that it was near 80 degree temperatures during our 4 days there, and my room was a complete oven the entire time with little to no ventilation.

I'm a bit surprised you stuck it out 4 days - I'd be inclined to walk in the room, go back to the Front Desk, and as for another hotel immediately. Barring that - even if I wanted to see if it would be really bad and try a night, and if it turned out that bad, I certainly wouldn't stay more nights. That should have been your resolution - another hotel.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
If a 5* hotel anywhere in the world cannot maintain a 20 degree Celsius room (around 69 Fahrenheit), then my family is not going to be happy. Lots of people need a cool room -- it's an expectation that is simply not that radical.
kalo93406 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Were you able to open the windows, or were they fixed shut? Especially in this time of year that makes a big difference. I was in Paris last week too, with 26-28C during the day, had a lovely time btw, but in the evening, it got rather chilly, and cooled down to at the highest 16-17c. Just opening a window would have cooled down the room in a few minutes.

If the windows did not open you have a genuine complaint, but if they did, then I do not see the issue...
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thomas199023
Were you able to open the windows, or were they fixed shut? Especially in this time of year that makes a big difference. I was in Paris last week too, with 26-28C during the day, had a lovely time btw, but in the evening, it got rather chilly, and cooled down to at the highest 16-17c. Just opening a window would have cooled down the room in a few minutes.

If the windows did not open you have a genuine complaint, but if they did, then I do not see the issue...
My original room was located in the interior courtyard area- so there was no outside ventilation. I moved to another room where the window barely opened, and the breeze was nearly non-existent- and the opened window made for very noisy evenings.

Yes, I could have moved- but I also had my parents staying in the hotel- and they were located in a more tolerable location of the bldg. where the breeze was a bit better and they are older and did not want to move. Otherwise I would have been out of there on the first day.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:20 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I agree you should get more compensation.

Was a fan at least offered? It can be some small solace if nothing else works like those windows
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:33 pm

For a “5 star” property (which I know is used loosely in Paris)
Quite to the contrary. In France, hotel ratings are highly regulated by the government and are awarded and regularly renewed by the tourism ministry after quite thorough inspections, whereas in other jurisdictions ratings are awarded by local industry self-regulatory boards, if not self-awarded by the properties themselves.
clublounger and EuropeanPete like this.

Last edited by MePlatPremier; Apr 26, 2019 at 11:30 pm
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm a bit surprised you stuck it out 4 days - I'd be inclined to walk in the room, go back to the Front Desk, and as for another hotel immediately.
Agreed. This is something if the hotel doesn't resolve immediately, I'm leaving.
KRSW likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:00 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by warakorn

Things are different in Central Europe!
h

last weekend was a mini heatwave and very unusual for Northern Europe. Most hotels only switch their systems from heating to air conditioning in May so this might explain it as the weather here in London was 28 degrees which is a record. Still assuming that this is an expensive hotel (aren’t all Paris hotels.) they should be able to adapt and switch the system over in cases like this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.