Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Exchange Rate"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

"Exchange Rate"

All, apologies if this is obvious and I'm clueless. I left my road warrior job years ago, and I'm rusty. Hard to believe I've been a FlyerTalker for 15 years.

What is a good "Exchange Rate" between dollars and points? For example....a hotel is 35,000 points/night or $400/night - which would you choose? What is your rule of thumb?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by John Galt
........What is a good "Exchange Rate" between dollars and points? For example....a hotel is 35,000 points/night or $400/night - which would you choose? What is your rule of thumb?
I depends on how you use your points. TPG has a good overview of point values which pegs it at 0.8 cents.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/monthly-valuations/
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
I depends on how you use your points. TPG has a good overview of point values which pegs it at 0.8 cents.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/monthly-valuations/
Thank you!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:11 am

Here's a different source that doesn't accept gifts from Marriott:

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...n-values-rrvs/
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've never gotten into the points vs. some small cents thing - ever. Honest to gawd, FTers are the ONLY people I know who do that. My rule of thumb is, do I have the $$ to stay at the (fill in the blank) property? Sometimes I do; sometimes I don't. The times I don't, then using points comes in handy.

Cheers.
arlflyer likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Here's a different source that doesn't accept gifts from Marriott....
Well, sort of. Here's the disclosure from the website:
Advertiser Disclosure: FrequentMiler is an independent, advertising-supported web site. Frequent Miler has financial relationships with many of the cards mentioned here, and is compensated through the credit card issuer Affiliate Program. This compensation does not impact how or where products appear on this site. Frequent Miler has not reviewed all available credit card offers in the marketplace. Advertiser partners include American Express, Barclays, Capital One, and CreditCards.com.
Among the credit cards reviewed are three Marriott Bonvoy American Express cards.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I've never gotten into the points vs. some small cents thing - ever. Honest to gawd, FTers are the ONLY people I know who do that. My rule of thumb is, do I have the $$ to stay at the (fill in the blank) property? Sometimes I do; sometimes I don't. The times I don't, then using points comes in handy.

Cheers.
Wow, so there really is another sane person in this world. Refreshing to hear!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.