So I just got bonvoyed.... AGAIN!

Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by kaizen7

A. Agreed .... the issue with SNA cant be applied to prepaid rate is annoying.
And yet some hotel manage to get SNA available for prepaid rate.
It have been 2 months since Bonvoy and yet the issue still there.

B. I got a capable ambassador handle me, so I was lucky enough never have to contact cs.

C. The convoluted matrix are indeed annoying, added with some properties failed to train their fd properly.
But so far I never experience any issues with my stays.

To be honest, I dont see much difference in hotel treatment between spg plt and bonvoy amb.
I was spg plt last year and manage to reach amb for 2019.
The upgrade rate still the same and the suite upgrade rate is not improved so far.

I have never had an issue with a... Just did a booking today that was prepaid and applied SNAs...

As far as plat vs ambassador upgrades go - afik there is no official distinction there. As plat you should get upgraded just as easily as ambassador...
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stant
I have never had an issue with a... Just did a booking today that was prepaid and applied SNAs...

As far as plat vs ambassador upgrades go - afik there is no official distinction there. As plat you should get upgraded just as easily as ambassador...
Should......
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I think we all applaud your luck in having good experiences, but you seem to believe that it implies that others are wrong to complain about the myriad of service errors they are receiving? I’m not sure why the apparent aggression towards those being messed around, but we’re all happy for you anyways.
Maybe the post was edited before I read it, but I didn't see anything aggressive about the OP sharing his good experiences.

Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
OP, that's not being Bonvoyed. What you're describing is called being "SPG'd."
Not in my experience over the years. Granted, I was occasionally a low level SPG elite, but I never felt special or important, or even welcomed at many of the Sheratons I've stayed at over the years.

Originally Posted by TBRIC
I think it depends on the property.
No truer words have been written here. It's not a Marriott vs. SPG thing. I've had good experiences at both brands, including (to be fair) an aforementioned Sheraton in Dallas that made up in spectacular fashion when my room wasn't ready for my 7 pm check in.
DJ_Iceman and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by rickg523
Should......
I was plat for longer than I have been amb - and I dont notice any difference. The only perk that amb status gives me is the rare instance when SNAs cant be applied to a booking my ambassador has requested a complementary upgrade prior to checkin and the property upgraded my room type well before the 5 day SNA window - as what happened in the stay that inspired this thread. But that has happened only 2, maybe 3 times iirc.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I just got done with a quick weekend trip to San Antonio Texas. I booked 2 nights stay at the Westin riverwalk. I asked my ambassador to put in for SNAs for the stay, but he said none were available for the dates I had picked, so he would email the property and ask them to upgrade me as a courtesy. Before checkin I had already been pre-booked into a corner suite (having paid for just the cheapest room, $150/night with $50 resort credit). When I got there I found out that they wanted to put me in a luxury suite. Top floor, probably 1500 sq ft. (I looked it up, 1560 sq ft - and $2700/night 'members only pre-paid' rate) 2 bathrooms, kitchen, dining area, living room, bedroom and bathroom with soaking tub and separate shower. But get this. The room didnt come with *any* bikini models! I even looked in all of the closets and cabinets in case they were put away. And the tub wasnt pre-filled with champagne! Not even prosecco!
I appreciate your optimism and glad you've had several good visits. Just as a data point though, I had a great experience at the Westin Riverfront back around 2011. I had a two night stay coming to San Antonio for a retirement ceremony. There was a rather long line at check-in but I was in no rush. The guy ahead of me berated several of the check-in agents (forget exact reason) but it wasn't warranted. When it was finally my turn to check-in the agents apologized profusely but I said no problem. I was only Gold but they upgraded me to the room you describe above. it was, and remains, the best upgrade I've ever received at any SPG or Marriott property to date. So I suspect the upgrade at the Westin has a lot more to do with the staff being excellent and well trained vice any major programmatic shift per se.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:49 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
To both of our benefit (as Ambassadors), I believe this is not correct. With SPG there was indeed no distinction between P50, P75, and P100Amb. However now there is a distinction, at the very least front desk knows I am AMB whereas in the past they only recognized Plat. I am quite sure they now use this info to prioritize upgrades and I see more and more evidence of this on FT. Scanning different threads (including this one), you can get a developing picture that Plats are not getting much in terms of upgrades, Titaniums are hit and miss, and Ambassadors have the best success of all.

My personal experience is that my suite upgrade success has improved in the last few months, and I suspect it is specifically because there was no distinction between 50-75-100 before and now there is. So AMBs get the lion's share of upgrades. I am 10/13 this year so far regarding suite upgrades so I am happy with results, and so are you. There is even one hotel where I was 0/6 in suite upgrades in 2017-2018 and now on my only 2019 stay... suite upgrade, and in fact not even the basic suite but one category higher. ^
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:09 pm

Here is a list of the last 7 stays I have done:

Marriott - Cash - No upgrade
Residence Inn - Cash - Downgrade from the booked room because I asked for an early check-in
Four Points - Cash - No upgrade
Residence Inn - Cash - No upgrade
Marriott - Points - No upgrade
Springhill Suites - Points - No upgrade
Tribute Hotel - Cash - No upgrade

I noticed on the last 4 stays, I don't even get a "Thanks for being a Titanium" anymore.

Edit: I forgot to list the Marriott I am currently sitting in.
small ring likes this.

Last edited by friscotrvlr; Apr 23, 2019 at 6:23 pm
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by friscotrvlr
Here is a list of the last 6 stays I have done:

Residence Inn - Cash - Downgrade from the booked room because I asked for an early check-in
Four Points - Cash - No upgrade
Residence Inn - Cash - No upgrade
Marriott - Points - No upgrade
Springhill Suites - Points - No upgrade
Tribute Hotel - Cash - No upgrade

I noticed on the last 4 stays, I don't even get a "Thanks for being a Titanium" anymore.
... and as AMB:
suite upgrade = Fairfield x2, TPS, 4P, Design, Luxury Collection, Westin, Marriott, W, Delta
no upgrade = TPS, Sheraton, Design
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by escape4
To both of our benefit (as Ambassadors), I believe this is not correct. With SPG there was indeed no distinction between P50, P75, and P100Amb. However now there is a distinction, at the very least front desk knows I am AMB whereas in the past they only recognized Plat. I am quite sure they now use this info to prioritize upgrades and I see more and more evidence of this on FT. Scanning different threads (including this one), you can get a developing picture that Plats are not getting much in terms of upgrades, Titaniums are hit and miss, and Ambassadors have the best success of all.

My personal experience is that my suite upgrade success has improved in the last few months, and I suspect it is specifically because there was no distinction between 50-75-100 before and now there is. So AMBs get the lion's share of upgrades. I am 10/13 this year so far regarding suite upgrades so I am happy with results, and so are you. There is even one hotel where I was 0/6 in suite upgrades in 2017-2018 and now on my only 2019 stay... suite upgrade, and in fact not even the basic suite but one category higher. ^
I suppose it depends on when the upgrade is done.
IE, if a plat walks up to the front desk and there is a suite available, they arent going to not get it because and ambassador is supposed to check in later that day.
If, on the other hand, the blocking agent is pre provisioning upgraded rooms, it makes sense that they may start with the highest ranked customers first.
With the exception of a very limited number of times where I was given an upgraded room well before check-in, I have not noticed that my room type has been upgraded near the time of checking in (other than SNA)
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:56 pm

With the exception of a very limited number of times where I was given an upgraded room well before check-in, I have not noticed that my room type has been upgraded near the time of checking in (other than SNA)
It sounds like I have been upgraded 2+ days before check-in more often than it has happened with you, but it might just be I got lucky or it might be about which properties we stayed at. I have also noticed that some hotels did not show a pre-upgrade online, but once I got to the hotel it was clear that I was upgraded ahead of time because they had a note for me waiting in the room, and then even after check-in I still did not see the upgraded room type online. So my conclusion was that it's not that I got upgraded at the last minute, it's that when they change the room type (at those hotels) it does not reflect in my account online for some reason.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by dimon84
I wish I was bonvoyed that way too. I had 27 stays in 2019, 20 in full-service properties. 1-2 nights each. I was upgraded to suites exactly one time at Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi. Stays were in the Middle East and Europe. I have decided titanium is not worth for me to pursue in 2019.
Do you know for sure the hotels you stayed at had suites available but failed to upgrade you? If a suite is so important to you then book one.
DJ_Iceman and JBord like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I just got done with a quick weekend trip to San Antonio Texas. I booked 2 nights stay at the Westin riverwalk. I asked my ambassador to put in for SNAs for the stay, but he said none were available for the dates I had picked, so he would email the property and ask them to upgrade me as a courtesy. Before checkin I had already been pre-booked into a corner suite (having paid for just the cheapest room, $150/night with $50 resort credit). When I got there I found out that they wanted to put me in a luxury suite. Top floor, probably 1500 sq ft. (I looked it up, 1560 sq ft - and $2700/night 'members only pre-paid' rate) 2 bathrooms, kitchen, dining area, living room, bedroom and bathroom with soaking tub and separate shower. But get this. The room didnt come with *any* bikini models! I even looked in all of the closets and cabinets in case they were put away. And the tub wasnt pre-filled with champagne! Not even prosecco!

On my last stay at the Le Meridian in London I got upgraded to a executive suite (about 600 GPB per night to start) despite paying 220 GPB /night for the week. In my last 30 nights or so with this property I have gotten an executive suite upgrade all but 1 stay, and that stay was a junior suite.

A few months ago in Miami, I was staying at a legacy SPG property by the airport when I had to go down to renew my passport. It turned out that there was a slight problem with my new passport photo and the agent told me to stick around the area in case they needed to call me back to the office to get a new one done. So I went to the Marriott across the street from the passport office and said 'I'm dead tired and have to stick around the passport office, can I pretty please have access to the club lounge so I can relax a bit despite not being a guest at the property' - they said 'here is your pass key'.

Around Christmas time I was at the Marriott park lane in London. I needed to have some packages sent off to various destinations, a gift sourced that was sold out in shops for the better half, and I asked if the restaurant could get a piece of beef from selfriges that I have been wanting to try. All done and dusted by the time I ckecked in.

In short, I have had GREAT service from Marriott lately.

I can only assume I'm not the only one, yet I didnt notice any threads near the top about above and beyond Marriott experiences.... So I made this one
I think only the legacy SPG property in Miami went above-and-beyond. The Westin in San Antonio may have needed to put you in a better suite because of an oversell situation. The Marriott in London fulfilled a pretty basic request that presumably got the concierge or bellman a good tip. It's in a part of London frequented by guests who make these kinds of requests. I wouldn't expect that level of service from an airport Marriott.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Originally Posted by itravelalot
Do you know for sure the hotels you stayed at had suites available but failed to upgrade you? If a suite is so important to you then book one.
Yes, hotels were half empty. I have asked the staff members about the occupancy rate. Correct, that's what I do from now on - book Hilton or through the hotels.com. I do not use lounges or have an american CC to rack up the points or get free credit nights, so there is no incentive for me to go out of my way to spend money for titanium or ambassador.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by dimon84
Yes, hotels were half empty. I have asked the staff members about the occupancy rate. Correct, that's what I do from now on - book Hilton or through the hotels.com. I do not use lounges or have an american CC to rack up the points or get free credit nights, so there is no incentive for me to go out of my way to spend money for titanium or ambassador.
Are you Plat or Titanium at the moment?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Originally Posted by escape4
Are you Plat or Titanium at the moment?
Titanium.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.