Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status and cost to obtain

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by CleverJesse
You have to register for the promo (Bonvoy site -> your account overview -> promotions). This is the most recent bonus night one https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/pro...promotion=1813
it was targeted .. so not everyone have access to it

But it seems Marriott target some members every month or so
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:51 am

I’m at 43 nights ( 28 paid, 15 on points), no CC, no ‘meetings’ and 4,000 USD. So my average spend on paid nights is about $140 USD. Assuming that this pattern continues for the rest of the year, I will end up well short in $$$ but way over in nights. The question for me to contemplate: why , as LTTE, would I consider anything over 75 nights ( ie the threshold for the second tranche of SNAs) when I could use the additional nights ( say 129-75= 54) to boost/retain status in other programs. I’m guessing it’s a question being considered by many members.
I just don’t see the added value in trying to hit $20,000 relative to the very definite value in spending the excess over 75 nights elsewhere.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:17 am

Not sure if I'll make Titanium this year with only 10 nights and $7K spend so far. I'll probably end up over the 20K in spend based on bookings I have for the rest of the year though.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Amex Plat, National Elite
Spending 20-25 nights a month at category 2-3 hotels, I average $2500-3000 a month. So Yeah I could hit the $20k spend milestone. But, I am not even sure if Ambassador status is anything worth it.

I'd take confirmed (alternate stays) upgrades and 2x (instead of 1.75x) points as a much better value. Will let me accumulate points at a faster rate.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by weld3z
If you visit Dubai get it from ENBD 150k welcome bounce 5 elite nights every year free category 5 night every year for approximately $400 .. 3 points for every $ any where 6 points for using it with Marriott
If you don't live in Dubai just open saving account then apply
This is the easiest way around the world if you care !
Good luck ..

Could you explain this in a bit more detail? So as a UK citizen i could get a card by setting up an account when i go to Dubai on Holiday this year?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
For LTT members, there is zero incentive to do over 75 nights (frankly not that much incentive to do 75 or 50 these days either).

Much better off going to get top tier status w/another program.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by JasWon
It is pretty easy to earn status when someone else is paying the bill
As long as you don't mind all the nights away from home/family.
EuropeanPete and acrophobia like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
For LTT members, there is zero incentive to do over 75 nights (frankly not that much incentive to do 75 or 50 these days either).

Much better off going to get top tier status w/another program.
I have LTT and the new Amex from Hilton that includes Diamond status. So now I just pick whichever one has the better hotel for my needs and receive similar benefits at either one.

Titanium and Diamond are roughly similar. Where one is substantially better than the other, it's all because of the local property.

The only minor hook for Marriott is SNAs. The minor hooks for Hilton are some small threshold bonuses. Neither really factor into my booking decisions. If they happen, great. If not, I don't miss them.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:42 am

Sorry for a newb question but I havent been able to find the answer on the boards. Do Category 1 hotel stays qualify for EQN's? Thanks
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Amex Plat, National Elite
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
As long as you don't mind all the nights away from home/family.
+1

couldn't have put it in better words.

I may earn 100,000 points every month. And may earn a couple extra rental days with Avis / National / Hertz each month. And possibly earn a few flights as well.

But the fact is, I have to stay away from family.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, PC Plat Amb, BA EC Gold, Asiana Diamond, TK Elite
Originally Posted by ard9719
Could you explain this in a bit more detail? So as a UK citizen i could get a card by setting up an account when i go to Dubai on Holiday this year?
That will not work! As a non UAE citizen you need a valid residence VISA to apply for an account.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wanalaugh74
Sorry for a newb question but I havent been able to find the answer on the boards. Do Category 1 hotel stays qualify for EQN's? Thanks
Yes. 1 night is 1 night, whether at Fairfield Inn or St Regis.
wanalaugh74 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Interesting info. As an european I'm looking for a Marriott credit card but there are none here. Guess I can squeeze in a holiday this fall to Dubai and apply for a saving account and then ENBD. All can be done in the same bank and day? Do you happen to know if any deposits to the saving account are required? Guess the year fee of 400usd.
Mmh.... I think that when you are back to Europe you would be visited soon by the Tax Authority
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:06 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Hilton has coke products too
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Hilton has coke products too
???

Are you saying that selling or giving you Coke products is a "benefit"? And that this "benefit" is somehow greater than the soft drink brands that Marriott offers?

This is one of the strangest posts I can imagine in a thread about the cost of making status at Marriott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.