Wiki Posts
Search

Status and cost to obtain

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by JasWon
It is pretty easy to earn status when someone else is paying the bill
It is. I can't argue you on that one. I have hit Platinum / Titanium status on personal travel (and a few business trips) before, but i wouldn't dream of Ambassador-ship those years. This year isn't one of those years luckily.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I had a few years where I barely qualified Plat. As in, I'd get to December, and sometimes book a random (cheap) weekend getaway with the family to get a couple nights. I had a couple years where I landed on 75 EQN exactly.

I recall that in those years, it was 57 actual nights in the hotels. That meant 3 nights were due to a total of $9,000 spend (something less than $12,000 anyway). Which makes sense...my corp rate was $180-ish in a few of my "regular" cities, I had the occasional NYC business trip, and then a few random cheap stays.

Getting there on $70/nt is probably more doable now with so many more midrange brands and expansion across Asia, Middle East, etc. In the U.S., you can sometimes get those rates in very empty suburban hotels on weekends (often Courtyards). Even Fairfield Inns, with steadier demand along Interstates, stay closer to $100/nt.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe the OP had some award nights this year or got the targeted double nights promo. There are some cheap hotels at times in the Chicago area, but $70 per night seems very low for someone in the USA.

Out of the 75 nights 15 were from CC bonus and 10 from a meeting, so he really only stayed for 50 nights - hence why his $/night were so low

For another data point, i am at $5300 and 83 nights - $64 a night average.
I start another 49 night stay there tonight and with double points/elite night bonus I'll be roughly 180 and $8600 for a whopping $48 a night average

Hotel is in Mexico and the rooms are like $70 a night
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver

I don't think I will be an ambassador this year.

I was targeted for double elite night promo then i got hit by a car so I did a month long stay at a Fairfield Inn w/ Long Term Stay rate while recovering.
zzap likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
at the moment I think I will end up for 2019:

AMEX Card: 15 Nights
RC Koh Samui x2 = ~$1,200
Protea Walvis Bay x1 = ~$80
RC New Orleans x3 = $900
RC San Francisco x3 = $1,000 + one points night
Hotel St. Louis x3 = ~$600
RC Budapest x1 = $650
W West Beverly Hills x 3 = $1,145
4 Points Mexico City x 1= Points
RC Moscow x5= $1,660
RC Hong Kong x2= $457 + points
Le Meridien Munich x1= $240
Westin Munich x2= $125 + points
RC Bahrain x2 = points
JW Marriott Baku x2 = $320
RC Abu Dhabi x1 = $225
W Chicago x2= $500
RC Chicago x1= $500
TBD Toronto Property x1 = ?
JW Marriott Phu Quoc x4 = $2,200

55 nights for a hair under $12,000. Would be nice if Bonvoy status had a spend component, since as you can see I give Marriott 4x the amount of $ the original poster does, but he gets upgrade preference over me.

Last edited by GetSetJetSet; Apr 22, 2019 at 4:15 pm
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
I’m at 40 nights with a couple promos at just over $6K.

No CC nights as I keep just my core 7 cards.
Will do a meeting. I’ll likely hit 75 EQN. Prolly not 100. So I should be able to do it for abut $150 avg a night as my work travel is to modest prices cities. And it’s on my own dime. My pleasure travel is much higher.

Honestly, it’s really not worth chasing status unless you stay at some big $ properties to enjoy the bennies for leisure. I had over 100 nts last year and have only chose to bother using one of my 10 SNA’s.

Would do Hyatt if I hit more big cities. But I think the lower half of Bonvoy properties much bettter then slogging through Hyatt Places.

Just my 2 cents

JBord likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I’m at 36 nights and $10K, of which 6 have been on points (yay SGS). My average spend is down on last year now I’m investigating other options than Marriott for luxury hotels in particular, but depending on the rest of my year I expect to requalify for Ambassador potentially for one last time on ~$30-40K with around 100 nights, 10 or so on points. Those of us in countries without credit cards have to actually sit through all the nights - that’s 18% more nights plus we have fewer points to spend on award nights, so it makes quite a big difference - I’d say 25-30% more actual Marriott spend required (which does make it annoying when Marriott treats us like second class members).
yurtripper likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by JasWon
It is pretty easy to earn status when someone else is paying the bill
“Easy” obviously being a relative term - one still has to do the windshield time. Also, “someone else is paying the bills” probably encapsulates the vast majority of those with status of any real consequence (of course there are exceptions, but I don’t gather that most FTers are independently wealthy types who spend 100+ nights out-of-pocket). And in any event, why does it matter? Many of us who travel on a reimbursable basis have anywhere from wide to complete latitude in terms of where we stay, and we look for loyalty to be rewarded by way of status.
JBord likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I just re-qualified for ambassador last week. 73 BIB nights; 15 credit card nights; 12 promotional nights (double elite night credits - targeted). Spend is $21K.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by weld3z
If you visit Dubai get it from ENBD 150k welcome bounce 5 elite nights every year free category 5 night every year for approximately $400 .. 3 points for every $ any where 6 points for using it with Marriott
If you don't live in Dubai just open saving account then apply
This is the easiest way around the world if you care !
Good luck ..
Interesting info. As an european I'm looking for a Marriott credit card but there are none here. Guess I can squeeze in a holiday this fall to Dubai and apply for a saving account and then ENBD. All can be done in the same bank and day? Do you happen to know if any deposits to the saving account are required? Guess the year fee of 400usd.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
How does one cop these promotional nights? I'd love to inflate my totals.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
How does one cop these promotional nights? I'd love to inflate my totals.
You have to register for the promo (Bonvoy site -> your account overview -> promotions). This is the most recent bonus night one https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/pro...promotion=1813
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Canadian-based, averaging $100USD/nt on paid stays. Have a long out-of-country trip planned this summer, so hopefully that brings the average up.

Will easily make the nights requirement (projecting 165+ through to the fall right now between paid, points, bonus, CC) to requalify, but I don't think I'll quite hit the $20K spend requirement -- might get close.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
It’s looking like I’ll end up will over the $20K threshold, but may not even get the nights needed for Titanium (currently Ambassador). My travel pattern switched from 2-3 cities every week to weeklong stays in high-cost areas 1-2x/month. Also had a winter vacation to a BonVoy-less region.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Interesting info. As an european I'm looking for a Marriott credit card but there are none here. Guess I can squeeze in a holiday this fall to Dubai and apply for a saving account and then ENBD. All can be done in the same bank and day? Do you happen to know if any deposits to the saving account are required? Guess the year fee of 400usd.
$400 for 5 nights ..... i think I better do a 10 days matress run at local moxy for $30 / night
Iwas lucky to have that option i guess

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.