Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Energy surcharge?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs down Energy surcharge?

Well this is a new one on me. FFI bill from last night shows a $3.00 energy surcharge. I guess energy doesn't come with the room anymore.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kabroui
Well this is a new one on me. FFI bill from last night shows a $3.00 energy surcharge. I guess energy doesn't come with the room anymore.
That's disgusting. Which Fairfield Inn was it?

Apparently the hotel thinks that most guests will not notice. After all, we accept that there can be several entries for sales tax and other local tax, without questioning the legitimacy of such charges.

Marriott International needs to crack down on all mandatory hotel-imposed fees, whether it's a resort fee, destination fee, energy surcharge, or any other involuntary fee. Such fees may not be illegal (although they should be), but they're unethical.

Ultimately, such fees reflect badly on Marriott and hurt ethically run hotels.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Fairfield in Phoenix Black Canyon Frwy...it was cheap matress run for some night credits so I checked out on the app. Not much chance to dispute after that and $3 isnt worth the effort, but sheesh..how many more little things can they tack on?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You could call the hotel & tell them that since the fee was not disclosed to you at check-in, that you won't pay it & tell them to refund the $3.

Cheers.
Tanic, Horace, htb and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
There is no such charge disclosed on this property's website. Please complain to the AZ A.G.'s office. They may be stealing from many unsuspecting travelers.
Spiff, C17PSGR, htb and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:28 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

A bit of historical perspective. From 2001...

Marriott International, which imposes an energy surcharge of $1.50 to $5 per room in 15 markets, calls the fee "temporary." "We're watching energy prices moderate, and in the short term, plan to remove the charge," spokesman Roger Conner said.
Hyatt removed energy surcharges on July, 31, 2001. Marriott did so on August 31, 2001 and Hilton on Sept. 1, 2001.
karenkay, htb, writerguyfl and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Horace
That's disgusting. Which Fairfield Inn was it?

Apparently the hotel thinks that most guests will not notice. After all, we accept that there can be several entries for sales tax and other local tax, without questioning the legitimacy of such charges.

Marriott International needs to crack down on all mandatory hotel-imposed fees, whether it's a resort fee, destination fee, energy surcharge, or any other involuntary fee. Such fees may not be illegal (although they should be), but they're unethical.

Ultimately, such fees reflect badly on Marriott and hurt ethically run hotels.
How is it unethical? It costs money to energize a hotel. The same people would be the same person complaining when rates go up.
Newman and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by hotelboy
How is it unethical? It costs money to energize a hotel. The same people would be the same person complaining when rates go up.
When you don't have full disclosure on fees and expect people will pay once they get their bill - that's unethical.

What next, buy a sandwich and charge a bread fee?
Spiff, Tanic, Horace and 17 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The energy junk fee wasn't disclosed at the time of booking; it was just added to the bill at check out.
Tanic, Horace, KRSW and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Such retailers are playing a percentage game. X percent will complain, take it off cheerfully as you are a "loyal" customer. Most will shrug their shoulders, wonder what next, pay up. Better if expense accounts cover it. We have to call it everytime & everywhere !
Tanic, cruisr, jaejaez and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Tanic
There is no such charge disclosed on this property's website. Please complain to the AZ A.G.'s office. They may be stealing from many unsuspecting travelers.
I agree

one thing to get your $3 back

another to help make sure many more people arent getting scammed

make sure to post reviews on their google, yelp, trip advisor, facebook, etc so others can take notice
Tanic and KRSW like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
And hotel operators are responsible to correctly predict those costs and account for them in their rate structures.

We have a privately owned Mexican-themed restaurant here in my town. They are known by locals for their practice of cheerfully asking if everyone wants chips & salsa upon being seated - completely normal stuff, right? Except they charge $3.50 for every basket of chips, and never bother to mention this as part of their offer. The angle is that we have a lot of tourists that roll through (esp in summer but also year-round) and a significant number will never even notice the charge. Those who do and are offended by the practice may choose to never return - but they likely wouldn't have anyway unless they're annual visitors. The owner is a personable enough guy and is well-known in the community, but many locals swear to never darken his door on account of this unsavory practice. Last I knew he's begun to close on some weekdays due to lack of business. I honestly hope he ultimately folds completely and his business is re-opened by someone more responsible and ethical. I hope the same for this crooked hotel.
C17PSGR, DJ_Iceman, htb and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
This is likely done so that the hotel can have the lowest price listed on booking engines. I don't like the practice but there are a lot of service companies that get away with junk fees.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
This is the same crap that airlines pull with “fuel surcharges,” especially on award travel. Odd that they are quick to impose and slow to repeal these little acts of avarice.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sabai

This is the same crap that airlines pull with “fuel surcharges,” especially on award travel. Odd that they are quick to impose and slow to repeal these little acts of avarice.
its a little different...

airlines show the fee before you pay for the ticket

in this case, it has been stated that the fee magically showed up after checkout and was not listed anywhere before hand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.