Energy surcharge?

Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The sole issue is whether it was disclosed to OP at the time of booking. If not, then it is invalid. Forget the debate about whether it is a good or a bad idea.

Don't waste your time with phone calls. Send a note to Marriott advising that the fee was improperly charged because it was not disclosed (be 100% this was true for your booking) & ask that a refund be iissued in 7 days or a chargeback will be filed. On the 8th day, file the chargeback if you don't at least have an agreement that the property will refund.

Keep it all short and to the point and focus on the disclosure issue, not your views of the appropriateness of such fees.
SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Often1
Don't waste your time with phone calls. Send a note to Marriott advising that the fee was improperly charged because it was not disclosed (be 100% this was true for your booking) & ask that a refund be iissued in 7 days or a chargeback will be filed. On the 8th day, file the chargeback if you don't at least have an agreement that the property will refund.
Are you suggesting that its possible to charge back just the fee? Because if OP charges back the entire room charge, then your advice will likely lead to nullification of their Bonvoy account and any value it may hold. Marriott are pretty serious about this sort of thing from what I understand.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer

Are you suggesting that its possible to charge back just the fee? Because if OP charges back the entire room charge, then your advice will likely lead to nullification of their Bonvoy account and any value it may hold. Marriott are pretty serious about this sort of thing from what I understand.
you can do partial chargebacks, a chargeback need not be for the entire amount
CCIE_Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold

Marriott are pretty serious about this sort of thing from what I understand.
I loved the old Starwood days where you could ban a guest from your hotel.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by hotelboy
How is it unethical? It costs money to energize a hotel. The same people would be the same person complaining when rates go up.
I personally think any "fee" should be optional for the use of a specific service. I.e. "checked bag fee" or "parking fee". If I don't have the option, then it's part of the cost of doing business... which means it's part of the price of the product. I.e. airfare or nightly room charge. Mandatory fees are unethical for many reasons, including artificially low price listing on reservation sites, making me pay them for my "free" room, and because they're completely made up. Why not have fees for labor, LED bulbs, toilet paper, sewage, and linens? What's part of the room?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez

I loved the old Starwood days where you could ban a guest from your hotel.
The discussion is undisclosed markups because reasons (greed), and so I fail to see any justification for advocating the banning of anyone in this thread. Its been clarified that partial chargebacks are a possibility, which I wasnt clear about and hence my cautionary post/question. It seems like a viable approach if it comes to that (if standing on principle is deemed worthy of the effort by OP), as is public shaming on every possible review platform available to said OP...
KRSW likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:13 pm

Tried to do a test booking and don't see the hotel available any day in the future currently. Maybe just me..
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by xooz
Tried to do a test booking and don't see the hotel available any day in the future currently. Maybe just me..
According to Marriott.com, the last available night is April 30, 2019. It's unlikely the property will be a Fairfield Inn the following evening.

Good!
LIH Prem, SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Partial chargebacks are entirely doable. I had to dispute meal charges on my Chase Marriott Visa which were already included in the room rate at a JW. The front desk would not budge so I just charged back the disputed amount from the hotel restaurant. Lo and behold, the previously unreachable GM called to discuss and apologize.
KRSW likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, Aeroplan 25K
Originally Posted by Horace
According to Marriott.com, the last available night is April 30, 2019. It's unlikely the property will be a Fairfield Inn the following evening.

Good!
Looks like it is becoming a Comfort Inn:

https://www.choicehotels.com/arizona...n-hotels/az476
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
How is it unethical? It costs money to energize a hotel. The same people would be the same person complaining when rates go up.
it costs money for water/sewer too. And to pay employees. And insurance. Etc. Should guests reimburse a hotel for their expenses and pay them revenue on top of it?
KRSW likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital
Looks like it is becoming a Comfort Inn:

https://www.choicehotels.com/arizona...n-hotels/az476
Yep. Looks like May-July remodel then reopening in August.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy

it costs money for water/sewer too. And to pay employees. And insurance. Etc. Should guests reimburse a hotel for their expenses and pay them revenue on top of it?
The point of any business is to make as much money as humanly possible. So yes.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
The point of any business is to make as much money as humanly possible.
The point of a regular/ethical business is to grow their business sustainably.

Outside of that enveloppe you'll find your proposed option(s) (more unethical, more than not criminal in civilized jurisdictions and more typical of vultures or scum).
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy

OOOOOHHHH ! Don't suggest that. Otherwise they will charge us on a COST PLUS basis. There are a raft of "experts" dealing / representing vendors to the Defense Dept.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.