Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

rural Great Britain Marriott for 5 days in late May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rural Great Britain Marriott for 5 days in late May?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by lexdevil
I was told that this is the oldest property in the Marriott universe. Even with mixed reviews it might be a kick to stay there. I have long considered it.
Depends on your definition. Most of it is just 19th century faux medieval. It's only Grade II-listed. Pretty much everything old in England is Grade II-listed. The real old and special buildings are Grade I.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
I am really in love with rural UK!
Good choice^
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was told that this is the oldest property in the Marriott universe. Even with mixed reviews it might be a kick to stay there. I have long considered it.
Is it older than the LC legacy SPG property in Salzburg?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is it older than the LC legacy SPG property in Salzburg?
13th Century, so quite likely. The Salzburg hotel was "first documented in 1407," so I guess it could be even older than that. That said, the Breadsall Priory touts "elegant Priory rooms dating back to 1260," so it is probably older.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:16 pm
Suspended

13th Century, so quite likely. The Salzburg hotel was "first documented in 1407," so I guess it could be even older than that. That said, the Breadsall Priory touts "elegant Priory rooms dating back to 1260," so it is probably older.
In that case the toilets better be garderobes. Most places that say "dating back to [insert old year here]" mean they have an archway or maybe some old wooden beams in the roof (see, Notre-Dame de Paris) from the purported era whereas everything else is 19th-century recreation.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by itravelalot
In that case the toilets better be garderobes. Most places that say "dating back to [insert old year here]" mean they have an archway or maybe some old wooden beams in the roof (see, Notre-Dame de Paris) from the purported era whereas everything else is 19th-century recreation.
Funny you should say that. The only 13th Century bit IS an archway. But there appears to be a good chunk that was bulit in the 16th Century, along with the later stuff. Here's a more detailed history of the priory.
dgreen12 and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
This one is in Kent. Again you would need a car but some gems nearby. Leeds Castle, Rochester, the Kent coast etc. Plus it's not too far from Southampton etc. and easy to get to from LHR or LGW. We spent a night there last year and it was a great location. The rooms are standard and there is a golf course ifthat is your thing.
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...-country-club/
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fizzer
This one is in Kent. Again you would need a car but some gems nearby. Leeds Castle, Rochester, the Kent coast etc. Plus it's not too far from Southampton etc. and easy to get to from LHR or LGW. We spent a night there last year and it was a great location. The rooms are standard and there is a golf course ifthat is your thing.
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...-country-club/
You could easily spend 5 days in Kent and Kent alone, though I might cross into Sussex and see Chichester, Goodwood and Rye on top of Dover/Sandwich/Deal, Canterbury, and Rochester in Kent. There are lots of great villages and towns in this part of England too. The fresh produce, local lamb, and even seafood from the coast is excellent. Kent is also home to England's growing and widely regarded sparkling wine industry.
Fizzer likes this.

Last edited by itravelalot; Apr 23, 2019 at 12:47 pm
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Here's a more detailed history of the priory.
Interesting read. Page 14 indicates "The last burial was in January 1990 when Penny ‘faithful companion to Mrs Haslam’ was buried". I used to stay here quite often. There was a large cat that roamed the grounds and reception areas. It died and was buried in the pet cemetery around 2005 +/- a couple years.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K UAL Marriott Platinum Premier - Ambassador thing-y Hertz President's Circle
UPDATE
I figured since I have to be in Southampton to pick up the cruise a week after I land at Heathrow, maybe a decent idea to aim that way in the first place and not have to track back through London to get there. Made a 5-night reservation at the Bournemouth FS https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/tr...arriott-hotel/

Figure I'll fly Denver to Heathrow and grab a night at a Marriott near the Waterloo train station. Spend the night, take train to Bournemouth the next morning : 2 hrs direct from Waterloo. Can Uber from Bournemouth to Southampton on morning of cruise.

I know absolutely nothing about Bournemouth. It's no Cotswolds, I get that. I just want to chill and read. Bonus: it will be nice to listen to the Shipping Forecast staying right on top of it. ( skip ahead to 2:20ish)
I've been hooked on these nightly for years.

If I'm missing a glaring travel rookie mistake, let me know. I'm all ears and can change it easily. THANKS VERY MUCH all for your great suggestions. Those are some lovely properties. Maybe another trip.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Enginerd
UPDATE
I figured since I have to be in Southampton to pick up the cruise a week after I land at Heathrow, maybe a decent idea to aim that way in the first place and not have to track back through London to get there. Made a 5-night reservation at the Bournemouth FS https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/tr...arriott-hotel/

Figure I'll fly Denver to Heathrow and grab a night at a Marriott near the Waterloo train station. Spend the night, take train to Bournemouth the next morning : 2 hrs direct from Waterloo. Can Uber from Bournemouth to Southampton on morning of cruise.

I know absolutely nothing about Bournemouth. It's no Cotswolds, I get that. I just want to chill and read. Bonus: it will be nice to listen to the Shipping Forecast staying right on top of it. ( skip ahead to 2:20ish) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnQ2Lk20n3U I've been hooked on these nightly for years.

If I'm missing a glaring travel rookie mistake, let me know. I'm all ears and can change it easily. THANKS VERY MUCH all for your great suggestions. Those are some lovely properties. Maybe another trip.
Going into London from Heathrow for a train to Bournemouth doesn't make sense at all. It also doesn't make sense to waste a night at a hotel in London. Rent a car at Heathrow. Five nights in Bournemouth is a long, long time without a rental car. If you aren't going to rent a car then just spend your five nights in London.

You should consider taking day trips to Salisbury, Winchester and Portsmouth. Even Wells is within driving distance. Like other parts of England, there are lots of charming towns and villages in the surrounding countryside if you stay off the main roads and just drive around.

If you don't mind going to Bournemouth the long way from Heathrow, you could follow the road all along the coast. Plus, it would allow you to stop and see Arundel or Chichester. You could even spend a night down there instead of wasting a night at a Marriott in central London.

Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Bournemouth used to be cruelly nicknamed God's Waiting Room. That might tell you something about what to expect. Not sure if it's still the same as I haven't been there in over 35 years.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:11 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by itravelalot
You could easily spend 5 days in Kent and Kent alone, though I might cross into Sussex and see Chichester, Goodwood and Rye on top of Dover/Sandwich/Deal, Canterbury, and Rochester in Kent. There are lots of great villages and towns in this part of England too. The fresh produce, local lamb, and even seafood from the coast is excellent. Kent is also home to England's growing and widely regarded sparkling wine industry.
If you are a theater lover we saw the best play of our lives (and we are avid theater goers) in Chichester at the Festival Theater-- Sir Ian McKellen in King Lear- on a tiny intimate stage. Just amazing. Their productions are always top notch. And IIRC there is a beautiful wooded area near there too.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:15 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Bournemouth used to be cruelly nicknamed God's Waiting Room. That might tell you something about what to expect. Not sure if it's still the same as I haven't been there in over 35 years.
The people still alive are now 35 years older than back then.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:33 pm
Suspended

I don't know whether this perception is still reality, but I just want to reiterate that spending 5 nights in Bournemouth is probably 4 nights too many. I don't know if redeeming points for the Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel (category 5) is even a good value when cash rates are under 180 pounds per night for most of June, July and August. Rates are regularly under 120 pounds after September.

For 120 pounds or less, you could book a room each night for 5 nights at 5 separate decent British inns or hotels in 5 separate towns and villages on a driving tour of England's Southern Coast. Unless you regularly travel to England, I think it's just crazy to not rent a car at Heathrow and start in Kent and work your way west to Southampton. For many people this sort of road trip could be a trip of a lifetime.

Then again, maybe you fancy sitting in the same room for 5 nights, 6 days listening to the Shipping Forecast. To each their own but I just hope you realize how much you're missing out on how if you stay in Bournemouth and don't have a rental car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.