Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

rural Great Britain Marriott for 5 days in late May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K UAL Marriott Platinum Premier - Ambassador thing-y Hertz President's Circle

Flying into London on May 31 for work and then down to Southhampton (cruise). Will be in UK for two weeks, then flying back home to Denver.
Am now pondering arriving 5 days early , using points ( 4 nights+1 free) , and just taking a bag of things to read and kicking back, nightly pub dinners and a few pints. Nothing crazy. Sightseeing is OK, but I really just want to relax and have no agenda. Haven't taken more than a day's vacation in way too many years.
Will be solo for this. I'm a 55 yo dude. Any hidden gem Marriotts tucked away in England,Wales, Scotland?
Thanks, in advance.
jaejaez likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
One suggestion that fits the requirements is The Langley, which opens on June 1. Easily accessible from the Heathrow-Southampton axis, in some nice countryside and surrounded by plenty of good gastropubs.

Though do note that, being in England, it only accepts ladies and gentlemen. No dudes.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:35 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Though do note that, being in England, it only accepts ladies and gentlemen. No dudes.
Darn, that means I'm out on this one.

Farther up north, you might try the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-scotland.html. It seems suite upgrades are a definite possibility here.

Another possibility might be the Hotel Football Old Trafford, Tribute Portfolio - Manchester, UK [Master Thread]. Not many reviews, but it sounds like it might not be getting the traffic they were hoping for. So it might be of interest.

Last edited by hhoope01; Apr 19, 2019 at 5:46 am
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:36 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Darn, that means I'm out on this one.

Farther up north, you might try the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-scotland.html. It seems suite upgrades are a definite possibility here.

Another possibility might be the Hotel Football Old Trafford, Tribute Portfolio - Manchester, UK [Master Thread]. Not many reviews, but it sounds like it might not be getting the traffic they were hoping for. So it might be of interest.
Rural?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:39 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Rural?
At least not London.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you really want rural for five days? Unless you have a car, it could be boring and those nice pubs would generally not be walkable. I think a pretty little village or small town would be nicer, but still a place where you can cover the center on foot. If you'll be arriving/departing by train, think about the logistics of the UK rail network too. It's not clear to me whether you need to be relatively close to your cruise port or to an airport. Still, depending on your interests, my list might include Bath, Cambridge, Stratford on Avon, Leamington Spa, Bristol, York, Edinburgh, and even Birmingham and Glasgow.
EuropeanPete and Wickersley like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I too have been generally unsuccessful at finding a rural Marriott somewhere between Oxford and Scotland to use as a base for exploring the Cotswolds or the Lake District or similar. Not much luck -Hilton seems a bit better...

Play around with this map of all Marriott properties and explore what looks promising based on your own interests.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...0065541776&z=8
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
My home village just north of Preston. Was Broughton Manor at one time - now the Preston Marriott - in Broughton Preston. 1 pub in walking distance (o.5 miles -trust me that is walking distance in UK) very rural and if I am home when you are I will take you out for a few pints.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...arriott-hotel/

Train takes about 2.15 from London Euston and then about 4 miles by taxi from Preston station
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold BAEC Avios Marriott Gold
This looks good although I have not stayed there myself https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/tr...-country-club/ but it is in a beautiful part of the country.
As others have said you will need a car in most similar places
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
My home village just north of Preston. Was Broughton Manor at one time - now the Preston Marriott - in Broughton Preston. 1 pub in walking distance (o.5 miles -trust me that is walking distance in UK) very rural and if I am home when you are I will take you out for a few pints.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...arriott-hotel/

Train takes about 2.15 from London Euston and then about 4 miles by taxi from Preston station
That is a really nice hotel, we stayed there last summer.

We're booked into Trump Turnberry next month which is very rural and very handy if you want a round of golf too!
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Enginerd
Flying into London on May 31 for work and then down to Southhampton (cruise). Will be in UK for two weeks, then flying back home to Denver.
Am now pondering arriving 5 days early , using points ( 4 nights+1 free) , and just taking a bag of things to read and kicking back, nightly pub dinners and a few pints. Nothing crazy. Sightseeing is OK, but I really just want to relax and have no agenda. Haven't taken more than a day's vacation in way too many years.
Will be solo for this. I'm a 55 yo dude. Any hidden gem Marriotts tucked away in England,Wales, Scotland?
Thanks, in advance.
Not necessarily rural, but certainly more authentic England and not very touristy (at least by comparison to other destinations) would be York and Durham, both of which have Marriott properties. I'd give yourself a single night in Durham and one or two nights in York. You could then do another two or three nights at either the St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club in Wales or the Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel in England. Both are within driving distance of lots of towns and villages, including the Cotswolds.

I would avoid the new Autograph Collection property in Cambridge if only because the tourists (mostly day trip group tours) invade Oxford and Cambridge in the summer. You should also check the cash rates, as it may be a better value to pay cash.

Another option is just renting a big car and driving everywhere and sleeping in the car at a McDonald's parking lot. I've done it for a night or two when it didn't make sense to get a hotel room. At the end of May and through all of June, sunrise is before 5 AM and sunset is between 9 and 10 PM. You could cover a lot of ground by car if you did this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:40 pm

[QUOTE=mark2;31018205]This looks good although I have not stayed there myself https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/tr...-country-club/ but it is in a beautiful part of the country.
As others have said you will need a car in most similar places[/QUOTE

I am headed there for a few nights in early July. We are not planning on renting a car. Will take the train into Chepstow, then a taxi to the hotel. FYI, there is a public bus that runs from Chepstow to Monmouth. It stops at Tintern Abbey on the way. We are planning on using it to make a day trip, spending part of the morning at Tintern Abbey and the afternoon in Monmouth.

I can confirm there are no Marriotts in the Cotswolds. No chain hotels to speak of, in fact. I think I found a Doubletree somewhere.... We ended up booking a small family run B & B for our few nights in the Cotswolds.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:37 am

Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DpchMd
I was told that this is the oldest property in the Marriott universe. Even with mixed reviews it might be a kick to stay there. I have long considered it.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by DpchMd
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club would be a halfway decent base 5 nights but it would require a rental car. You could go on day trips to Boston, Lincoln, Chester, the Peak District, and even York. There are also heaps of nearby postcard villages and towns with a decent pub, a historic church and worth a couple of pictures, if you fancy that sort of thing. Frankly, the whole country is full of these sorts of villages and towns. Some very nice. After a while, they're all kind of the same unless you're really discerning in terms of history, heritage, and architecture. Don't forget about markets. In May and June, you are going to be treated to fresh, mostly local or regional fruit, vegetables, etc. April, all of May and the first week of June are probably the best times of the year to visit, as July and August are just too damn busy with tourists and group tours. September is nice, but you don't have as much fresh local produce at markets. The downside is the drive down Southampton, which, depending on traffic and routing, could be as long as 3 1/2 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.