Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

New York Marriott Downtown - NYC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New York Marriott Downtown - NYC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2021, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Maybe Joe’s? They close at like 3 AM.
It was Joe's! I later found out they're a mini-chain, but the cheese slice still tasted great to my non-New Yorker palate.
mciampa likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:10 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by redct
It was Joe's! I later found out they're a mini-chain, but the cheese slice still tasted great to my non-New Yorker palate.
Makes sense. Joe’s is good. They even have one in Shanghai. Village Square Pizza is my current fave (rip Prince Street Pizza)
Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:43 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I just called hotel to inquire about club lounge. They said the club lounge is only open for breakfast. Also they said breakfast is free for Marriott Platinum and up. It is on 31st floor, not the main restaurant.

The lounge just opened this Monday 7/12/2021.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:48 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedSun
I just called hotel to inquire about club lounge. They said the club lounge is only open for breakfast. Also they said breakfast is free for Marriott Platinum and up. It is on 31st floor, not the main restaurant.

The lounge just opened this Monday 7/12/2021.
Thanks for the update! Would be great to hear more about what’s on offer in the lounge
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:34 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by brokenwindow
Thanks for the update! Would be great to hear more about what’s on offer in the lounge
Since it is at concierge lounge, it can't be brown bag. Called Residence Inn downtown. It offers brown bag breakfast.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
I just got back from a stay at this hotel over this past week. Lounge is open M-F only — offering was quite decent. Eggs (made well, not the chalky kind you usually get at a hotel spread), bacon, oatmeal, fresh fruits (pineapple, berries, and watermelon), yogurt, pastries (croissant, lemon cake, and coffee cake) and coffee/tea. Service was really friendly (probably since there were 2 attendants for 5-6 guests), and they proactively offered to fetch extra food items or coffee for people who were seated, and almost finished.

Lounge is technically only open for breakfast, but the attendants were letting people into the afternoon for coffee and water bottles throughout the day. However, when we stopped for water around noon, they were deep cleaning a wine station machine — perhaps they're bringing the happy hour or increasing the hours of operation soon?

Not sure if some alternative is offered on Sat/Sun for breakfast.

Room itself was nice — As a titanium, I was proactively upgraded in app from the cheapest base room to one that had a view of Jersey City and the waterfront; I did not ask about a suite upgrade as I didn't need it for this stay and was able to check in at 10AM. I do wish the rooms had more storage. The "dresser" only had 2 drawers, and had to put some of my clothing in the nightstand drawers. The closet was small and could not even fit my medium sized suitcase when placed upright.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 4:10 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Skywards Gold
Staying here at present. The above is a good reflection of the lounge at present, decent breakfast spread in terms of food and plenty coffee/ tea/ juice options in the morning. It's open 630am too so good for us people with jet lag! Best of all it's up on 38th floor facing south so nice to look out over Statue of Liberty and the river traffic as you wake up with a coffee.

Stayed over the weekend, there's a voucher to collect from reception to use in Bill's restaurant (it's off the lobby), it opens 8am. It's good for 2 people with choice of entree each and includes unlimited standard coffee and an orange juice. Servers are really helpful in explaining the voucher - there are no hidden costs or tricks. Pretty good egg options in terms of omlets, benedict, breakfast sandwich etc. Only gripe would be there aren't many healthy options and you have to pay for them if you want them.

For the hotel itself it's a good option, maybe not great but for the price compared to other NYC hotels it's very good value. We have family of four and fitted in the 2 Double option pretty comfortably. Upgraded as Plat to "Hudson View" which is a decent view across the river. Sound proofing could be improved both from being able to hear other rooms and even street noise from 31 floors up! Beds are very comfortable so did at least get good nights of sleep. Plenty nearby in terms of metro line options, restaurants etc

Overall would definitely stay again, much better than my last NYC trip in JW Times Square.
Out of my Element likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 6:29 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Ended up hosting a bunch of people that came down for the Columbia vs. Harvard football game. Somehow I ended up with too many guests intending to stay with me in midtown so we ended up using this hotel as a “fifth bedroom”. I booked this with the Titanium 40K free night award while cash rates were around $450-$500 for the night. I think it was a great use of the certificate. There was a mandatory $25 destination fee that covers a $25 F&B credit, $15 Citibike credit, and a double decker tour bus ticket. Bad value imo.

I tried to add my friend as a guest to the reservation but they absolutely would not let her check in. I’m pretty sure that’s just ToS so fair enough. On the bright side, the staff pre-upgraded me to a corner “junior suite”. The hotel was super busy by the time I got there (in the late afternoon after Harvard finished embarrassing Columbia). I did not even see any rooms with king beds for sale in the app (let alone junior suites) so the upgrade was a pleasant surprise. The FDA that checked us in did not offer a welcome amenity option nor did she mention anything about breakfast/lounge. I had to push for that myself. The lounge seems closed (at least on the weekend). I’m pretty sure I could have completed a $100 claim here if I cared enough to do so. She did proactively offer 4 pm checkout.

The room itself looked fine. I think the flooring is laminate (so not real hardwood flooring) but it is still preferable to most of the ugly, stained carpets in the city. Views of the corner junior suite were fine with partial views of the Hudson River. It was not small by Manhattan standards at 406 square feet (although this is also not big for FiDi).

Can’t comment on the breakfast. The most I can say about it is that my friend neither complained about nor praised it. Not even sure she ate it tbh.

Location was pretty beat. It’s right between Brookfield Place and the Oculus so the area is very commercial with a ton of mall brands and really basic stores/restaurants. It was also a $55 and 45 min Uber away from Wien stadium (but that isn’t the hotel’s fault).

Overall, I think this is a decent place. I would never pay $500 or even $400 for a night here but I would gladly burn a 40K FNC (or a 35K FNC) here for even my personal use until the award chart nuke.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, United Silver, American Airlines Platinum
Avoid this hotel at all cost. They do not have a hotel restaurant or bar to use the $25 property credit at, and instead outsources that to Bill's Bar and Burger located in the same building. Bill's is the worse run restaurant I have ever encountered. I wrote a scathing review on Yelp (which I won't link here because I'm not sure what the rules with posting external links are) on 12/29/21. The property itself is nice, but is not a full service hotel nor a 4-star experience as advertised.

The restaurant is severely mismanaged, and we have issues using our daily $25 credit. During our 5 night stay and on different nights, Bill's didn't answer their phone for ~20 minutes, refused to seat us for drinks because their kitchen was backed up, and wasted hours of our time over the course of our stay.

I don't mind the daily destination fee, but this was poorly executed. More details to come, but feel free to reach out to nudge me if I forgot.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 6:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
Stayed here again for 1 night over the holidays and do feel that my past post in Aug + DXBPlat's remains an accurate account of stays here.

As indoorcamper mentions, there is now a $25 destination fee which can be used at Bill's or for the snacks for sale in the lobby, which was annoying. Had the same experience with crowds at Bill's, but on checkout I complained and they waived the destionation fee without me asking, even though I had used some of the credit for water + snacks at the gift shop. Received a complimentary UG to the jr suite.

Would recommend as a place to burn a 35k or 40k cert for 1 night, but with the W across the street reopening, I'll prefer them for paid stays.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Finished a two night stay. Since there haven't been many updates as COVID rules have been eased I thought I'd give an update. I used one 35k certif and points to book. Originally it was 35k points but after dynamic pricing it went down to 30k and Marriott was quick to refund the 5,000 points even though it was after the change/cancellation date.

Checked in on a Saturday at 1pm and it was very quiet--indicative of the neighborhood on weekends. Check in was easy. I had been auto-upgraded to a Hudson view and when I asked fo a harbor view (which is an additional step up) I was granted a room on the 30th floor with a view of the SOL. Cheerful check in, there was no mention of a welcome amenity but since they were cool on the upgrade and pleasant at check in I didn't pursue it.

Weekend breakfast was offered at Bills in the lobby. We were eating an early lunch so we took a pass but it didn't look very crowded. We did get breakfast on Monday morning at the lounge which was a standard offering of eggs, sausage, bacon, oatmeal, fresh fruit, bagels pastries etc. Lounge has an open fridge with soda and water along with a solid Starbucks coffee machine (better than waiting on line for the lobby SB).

On the morning after our first night housekeeping was cleaning rooms. We declined the room refresh but it was nice to see that there was service here. The room was sizable, especially for NYC with two queens and plenty of room to maneuver. Modern bath with excellent shower and soap/shampoo on shower wall. There is a fridge in the room that worked well. No elevator issues. Half banks were for upper floors and half for lower floors--no waits. There was a bellman ready to help anyone who needed it.

My only gripe (as others had too) was the mandatory $25 destination fee. They sell it as a huge advantage as it includes a $15 dry cleaning credit, enhanced internet, a ticket to NY tours and $25 in food and bev. credit. Note: It does not accumulate. You need to use the credit each day or you lose it. We used ours on overpriced bottled or Gatorade and Water at the (very very small) sundries shop. At $4@ its east to hit that $25 cap. I'm sure that most people never use any of the value of the fee and it all goes to the hotel.

We loved the location. It's dead on weekends but close to Battery, WTC, Oculus, Trinity, SSS etc.

Hope this helps and happy travels all.
hao likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IndoorCamper
Avoid this hotel at all cost. They do not have a hotel restaurant or bar to use the $25 property credit at, and instead outsources that to Bill's Bar and Burger located in the same building. Bill's is the worse run restaurant I have ever encountered. I wrote a scathing review on Yelp (which I won't link here because I'm not sure what the rules with posting external links are) on 12/29/21. The property itself is nice, but is not a full service hotel nor a 4-star experience as advertised.

The restaurant is severely mismanaged, and we have issues using our daily $25 credit. During our 5 night stay and on different nights, Bill's didn't answer their phone for ~20 minutes, refused to seat us for drinks because their kitchen was backed up, and wasted hours of our time over the course of our stay.

I don't mind the daily destination fee, but this was poorly executed. More details to come, but feel free to reach out to nudge me if I forgot.
which property are you saying to avoid?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Like many hotels and restaurants coming out of the pandemic with low staff and new rules I am sure that the Marriott had some serious issues. My experience this past weekend was pretty good and the lounge which is now open was perfect (it's not the Conrad Koh Samui breakfast buffet but that's expected).

I suspect that over the next year many people will be having many different experiences at different hotels as things right themselves.
Old May 1, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
This is one property that seems to have been affected very positively by dynamic pricing. At 39K points and $570 cash rates, this will be a great use of my just-acquired 40K cert.

Recent reviews all seem very positive, so I'm excited to try it.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
This is one property that seems to have been affected very positively by dynamic pricing. At 39K points and $570 cash rates, this will be a great use of my just-acquired 40K cert.

Recent reviews all seem very positive, so I'm excited to try it.
Was upgraded this morning to the Vice Presidential Suite, and it stuck! What a large room - 3 TVs! So many windows.
dgreen12 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.