Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Next Bonvoy global promotion after 4 June 2019 ?

Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Amex Plat, National Elite

Hello guys

I was wondering what could I expect from Marriott as regards potential upcoming promotion, once the "double points" end on 2nd June.

You could call it simple speculation. But based on what Marriott has offered before, or based on what Hilton, Hyatt have offered, you guys would be the most eligible lot to assist in the "speculation". It's on this forum that the most seasoned members respond and would have an idea of what it could be.

I am thinking they might extend the double point? Or perhaps, they might introduce 1 free night for every 4 nights stayed promotion. I dont know, just thinking out loud..
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
What I expect is that sometime in the next 3 months, we will see an announcement of the next promo.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
What I expect is that sometime in the next 3 months, we will see an announcement of the next promo.
All I asked for was your opinion with slight speculation injected in there somewhere...
But it's okay, Mornings can be slow for some people..
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So far Bonvoy doesn't hasn't been doing imaginative or strong promos, so I would expect 500 points per eligible paid stay of 2+ nights after your first eligible paid stay of 2+ nights.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
they seem to like tiered point bonuses after set number of stays, e.g. 5000 points after 5 stays, 10000 after 10, or something like that
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed
JBord, Cledaybuck, Rd3 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So far Bonvoy doesn't hasn't been doing imaginative or strong promos, so I would expect 500 points per eligible paid stay of 2+ nights after your first eligible paid stay of 2+ nights.
That'd suck for me since I typically spend 4-5 nights (1 week) at each property for business. I mean, at $150 a night, the points I gather at titanium are 5 x 150 x 10 x 1.75 (titanium) + 5 x 150 x 6 (credit card) = 13125 + 4500 = 17625. So 500 points would be less than a fraction of what I would accrue normally.

lol.

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
they seem to like tiered point bonuses after set number of stays, e.g. 5000 points after 5 stays, 10000 after 10, or something like that
I hope they either anchor it off based on nights or evaluate the bonus based on points accrued during the stay.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed
That's a good starting point.

Problem is I have gotten used to expecting more with the double point promotion. lol.

I think I have been accruing close to 8000 points every week ever since this started and it'll probably be the same until the promo ends.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:04 am

Yes, and I don’t get the logic in that approach . What is it about ‘stays’ rather than ‘nights’ ?( surely the bottom line is the same , regardless). It’s not only Marriott, other chains have the same ‘stays’ requirement in some promos.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paolo64

Yes, and I don’t get the logic in that approach . What is it about ‘stays’ rather than ‘nights’ ?( surely the bottom line is the same , regardless). It’s not only Marriott, other chains have the same ‘stays’ requirement in some promos.
Lemme answer that.

hypothetical situations

1) As a heavy user, You typically stay on 4-5 nights and spend 130-160 / night for a total stay value of 4 x 150 = $600

Now if
- Marriott paid by the night - they would be paying bonus for 4 nights
- Marriott paid by the stay - they would be paying bonus for only 1 stay
- Marriott paid by the $ - they would be paying bonus for $600

So cheapest for them is to stick with stay and offer bonus dependent on stay.

2) As a heavy or high end user, You typically stay on 1-2 nights and spend 300-400/ night for a total stay value of 2 x 350 = $700

Now if
- Marriott paid by the night - they would be paying bonus for 2 nights
- Marriott paid by the $ - they would be paying bonus for $700

So cheapest for them is to stick with stay and offer bonus dependent on number of stays.

3) As a infrequent user, You typically stay on category 1-2 for 2 night and spend 90-110 of ~ 2 x 100 = $200

Now if
- Marriott paid by the night - they would be paying bonus for 2 nights
- Marriott paid by the $ - they would be paying bonus for $200

So cheapest for them is to stick with stay and offer bonus dependent on number of stays.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by paolo64

Because once they have you at their property of night one of a multi night stay in a certain location, most people are unlikely to change properties.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sometimes this is Hyatt's game plan, although it's based on nights rather than stays.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Expect gripes and complaints.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Expect gripes and complaints.
don’t expect, it has already started.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I concur with this estimate based on the past and that we are coming into the busier travel season.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:51 am
Original Poster

I think if it happens to get that low - I'll start using my AMEX Platinum to book hotels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.