Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Next Bonvoy global promotion after 4 June 2019 ?

Next Bonvoy global promotion after 4 June 2019 ?

Old Apr 18, 19, 8:59 am
  #31  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 19,568
Lucrative promos aren't long gone...just long gone w/Marriott
UA-NYC is online now  
Old Apr 18, 19, 9:07 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Marriott Platinum Premier, Choice Gold, TR Platinum
Posts: 446
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
That seems to be a recognition that the incentive is to make members happy, as opposed to driving behavior.
If you believe this, I have some real estate I'd like to talk to you about...
Voodoo Daddy is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 9:14 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 487
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Lucrative promos aren't long gone...just long gone w/Marriott
The current Double Points promo has already netted me some 75k points—if that’s not lucrative, I don’t know what is...
Newman likes this.
MePlatPremier is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 9:51 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Programs: BA, JAL
Posts: 523
Originally Posted by freed0m View Post
The airlines that honor error fares alienate their loyal paying customers. If it helps, every airline should honor them. There are more airlines which don't give a .... about error fare.

Just ask those loyal Cathay paying customers. How many have left Cathay because there aren't enough "cheaper" seats? Cathay gains more customers who will not ever pay for another premium seats, by losing some who will pay for premium seats. Yeah. great strategy.

As a loyal paying customer, why would I ever want to compete with anyone who does not pay cash, but simply purchasing points cheaply? I can always give my business to whoever values my business and stay in Marriott with points purchased cheaply. Marriott certainly does not value my loyalty by selling points cheaply to anyone with money.
i have to admit that what you wrote sounds strange - i have never heard of people leaving an airline/travel brand not because of the quality, but exclusively because of their perception of other customers and the price that they feel these customers may have or may not have paid for the service. i'm not sure hotels and airlines should delve into dynamic pricing if such concerns are held by the majority of customers. the fact that everyone pays a different price on a plane and likewise at each property must cause you and others great concern - perhaps to the extent that you would do a survey and where you find the biggest variance, you could tell the brand that you're leaving them for this reason? i don't think so somehow. because typically you are more interested in the product and service than the inconsequentials that make little to no difference to your 'experience'.

it is fair to say that people don't want to pay more than they have to and if they see other people getting a freebie then they won't like it. i travel exclusively in business and first and yes, i understand this. american carriers are less popular with me because they give their loyal customers free upgrades. in fact there are often debates about whether economy people should be able to use facilities and i do think they should be pushed back to where they came from - but that's a separate debate.

with regards to your discussion about airline loyalty for error fares, then maybe i'm in the minority in selecting airlines based on my experience. if i got lucky with a cheap fare in business somewhere then in future i'm more likely to fly with that airline than someone i've never been with. similarly, there are now so many youtube, instagram, and other travel blogs that detail experience which provide many people who wouldn't ordinarily consider premium travel. you just need to look at the video views to see that the aspiration is there. for me, depending on the maths i'd pay the extra if i've had good experiences in that premium cabin before. and if i hadn't, i'd take a look on youtube etc. so you can see how the marketing works.. i really don't see premium customers leaving cathay because some people got a few cheap flights.

your discussion is simply you saying that there should be limited sales and prices should be high - that way people who are loyal don't feel disgruntled when they see others getting something for less. and while i can see that, it does just look to me like one side of a coin. marriott is simply not an elite brand and acting in such a way would just drag down its business. it would wait for the customers to arrive and they just wouldn't arrive without being incentivised.
RollAnotherFatOne is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 10:07 am
  #35  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 82,282
Originally Posted by freed0m View Post
Let me explain this way.

Marriott rewards loyalty in two ways: 1. Elite benefit 2. Marriott points. The value of Marriott points depends on how much per point you can acquire large amount of points. If Marriott sells points at 0.5 cents in large quantity, the most value you can get out of Marriott point is 0.5 cents per point. Any higher value than that will be driven down by people keeping purchasing points. So when Marriott sells points at a lower price, it screws its loyal paying customers with reduced point value.

I, as a loyal paying customer, will take my business elsewhere my loyalty is valued.
You're missing my point: You said that MR sells points to anyone WITH money. My response is that it's generally people WITH LESS MONEY who are the ones buying points, not the ones with more money. Relatively poor people buy points, while rich people don't need to do so and probably won't bother.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 10:17 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Programs: BA, JAL
Posts: 523
Originally Posted by freed0m View Post
The only reason that people purchase points to redeem anything is that it is cheaper through points.

The value of points depends on how much per point you can acquire a large amount of points. If Marriott sells points in large enough quantity, it indirectly sets the max value of its points. Why would Marriott want to do that? Screwing its loyal paying customers by reducing point value?

That Marriott only sells one member max 50K points, in a way, tells that Marriott sees its point can be redeemed at more than 1 cent per point.
there are different ways of looking at value and worth, but typically it's how much someone is willing to pay for something.
this can be affected by the means with which they do this - currency, points, etc.
however, not everyone sees value in the same way, and not everyone's circumstances are the same.
what you've written seems to imply that value cannot be defined in terms of convenience, preference, and that variance in approach does not exist amongst customers.
hotels would typically have higher prices that increases nearer the date of stay.
as a loyal customer, i would be incentivised to stay by the convenience of booking points nearer the time as the points price of the stay may be less than the cash price. if i couldn't find value in the points price, then maybe my loyalty is not worth that much and i would just stay somewhere else.. similarly, if i was staying for business, the price wouldn't matter so much. in each case, the hotel would benefit by having a good price points deal and high rack rate.
RollAnotherFatOne is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 11:23 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DEN/BDL/LGA/HPN
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,174
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier View Post
The current Double Points promo has already netted me some 75k points—if that’s not lucrative, I don’t know what is...
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy View Post
If you believe this, I have some real estate I'd like to talk to you about...
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Lucrative promos aren't long gone...just long gone w/Marriott
This is the best Marriott promo in quite a while, from a guest perspective. Very simple and very lucrative. I've probably earned more already than in the last three or four promos combined.

I don't see much thought into this promo, which is why I think its just to try to dial back the noise with a simple easy promo.
C17PSGR is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 11:33 am
  #38  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Amex Plat, National Elite
Posts: 92
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier View Post
The current Double Points promo has already netted me some 75k points—if that’s not lucrative, I don’t know what is...
correct. I don't even spend a lot ($700 or so a week) and in last 4 weeks, I have managed to get close to 30k points thanks to promotion.. another 25k plus as titanium bonus and a base of 30k plus points ..add the credit card spend and it's a 100k month. expect the next 2 be similar.

and so I think perhaps it'll be hard to match a promotion as lucrative as this.
C17PSGR likes this.
uscgto is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 11:57 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DEN/BDL/LGA/HPN
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,174
Originally Posted by uscgto View Post
correct. I don't even spend a lot ($700 or so a week) and in last 4 weeks, I have managed to get close to 30k points thanks to promotion.. another 25k plus as titanium bonus and a base of 30k plus points ..add the credit card spend and it's a 100k month. expect the next 2 be similar.

and so I think perhaps it'll be hard to match a promotion as lucrative as this.
Exactly. I can't remember another Marriott promo where lots of people were getting 75-150k in points from a promo.

A good promo needs to drive consumer behavior, such as a decent bonus to try different brands. For example, the 10k for 10 brands was a good idea. The 29k for 29 brands was stupid because no one could do it and it wasn't much of a bennie anyway.

The two night stay requirement in the last one was difficult and irritated Marriott's best guests. It was driven by Arne hearing about a blog talking about getting multi plat bonuses by switching hotels.
C17PSGR is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 12:48 pm
  #40  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 23,849
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier View Post
The current Double Points promo has already netted me some 75k points—if that’s not lucrative, I don’t know what is...

You're presumably staying at expensive properties (perhaps reimbursed by work)?

2x promos are lucrative only for people who either stay at a hotel almost every night of the promo anyway, and/or stay at expensive properties.

They're not all lucrative for people who stay in cheap suburban properties (either because they're on their own dime and/or just because that's where they need to stay anyway) and only a few nights a week at most. For those people, 25000 bonus points for 10 nights would be way more lucrative (especially if they can shift the rest of their stays to other hotel programs with other "lucrative" promos), while for the people who stay at expensive properties and stay lots of nights anyway it may be less lucrative.

So "lucrative" is often in the eyes of the beholder.
sdsearch is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 1:05 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Gold, Skywards : Gold
Posts: 1,397
I'm hoping for a global (not targeted) double night credit promotion
kaizen7 is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 1:17 pm
  #42  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 2,194
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier View Post
The current Double Points promo has already netted me some 75k points—if that’s not lucrative, I don’t know what is...
The promo started not even a month ago, so ignoring the fact that the first stay did not earn any bonus, that means $7500 spend in less than 30 days = $250 per night if you have been in hotels all month and did not spread the wealth to other hotel chains. Or maybe a 10-night vacation splurge at $750 per night.

I am not doubting what you say, but I would simply note that you are probably at the high end of who benefited the most from the promo; you are not the norm and therefore I would not call the promo lucrative simply based on your experience. Of course anybody spending $5k+ in the promo month will benefit, but most Ambassador level guests spend $20-40k per year, not $5k per month (= $60k per year), let alone $7.5k per month. Not even mentioning the large number of guests below AMB level who are nowhere near that.

I have spent $2600 since the promo started and cutting out my first stay I am at $2k spend, so 20k bonus points... as far as I am concerned it's nothing to write home about bonus-wise, it's a good bonus but not over the top. And I am sure I benefited more than 95% of folks, yet you are almost at 4x my bonus so far... which means you are possibly in the 99.9 percentile. For the vast majority of people, this promo is just ok.

Maybe it's just semantics but for the fun of the discussion, for me to call a promo "lucrative" I need to see better than double points because all it's doing is giving you an extra 10% discount, approximately. A lucrative promo in my humble opinion is Hilton's occasional triple points promo, or Hyatt's promo a couple of years ago where 25 nights during the period netted you 75k points (= great value if you stay at cheap hotels). Or when Hilton had a stackable promo of double points + 2500 Lufthansa miles per stay, great if you have lots of 1-night stays, in fact it made some stays almost free. Those promos resulted in a discount of far more than 10%. Double points is a decent promo, but fairly average. I prefer a 10% discount to no discount, but it won't change my decisions for many stays.
UA-NYC likes this.
escape4 is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 1:19 pm
  #43  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 2,194
Originally Posted by kaizen7 View Post
I'm hoping for a global (not targeted) double night credit promotion
I would trade you some of your spend dollars for some of my night credits
kaizen7 likes this.
escape4 is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 1:42 pm
  #44  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Amex Plat, National Elite
Posts: 92
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
The promo started not even a month ago, so ignoring the fact that the first stay did not earn any bonus, that means $7500 spend in less than 30 days = $250 per night if you have been in hotels all month and did not spread the wealth to other hotel chains. Or maybe a 10-night vacation splurge at $750 per night.

I am not doubting what you say, but I would simply note that you are probably at the high end of who benefited the most from the promo; you are not the norm and therefore I would not call the promo lucrative simply based on your experience. Of course anybody spending $5k+ in the promo month will benefit, but most Ambassador level guests spend $20-40k per year, not $5k per month (= $60k per year), let alone $7.5k per month. Not even mentioning the large number of guests below AMB level who are nowhere near that.

I have spent $2600 since the promo started and cutting out my first stay I am at $2k spend, so 20k bonus points... as far as I am concerned it's nothing to write home about bonus-wise, it's a good bonus but not over the top. And I am sure I benefited more than 95% of folks, yet you are almost at 4x my bonus so far... which means you are possibly in the 99.9 percentile. For the vast majority of people, this promo is just ok.

Maybe it's just semantics but for the fun of the discussion, for me to call a promo "lucrative" I need to see better than double points because all it's doing is giving you an extra 10% discount, approximately. A lucrative promo in my humble opinion is Hilton's occasional triple points promo, or Hyatt's promo a couple of years ago where 25 nights during the period netted you 75k points (= great value if you stay at cheap hotels). Or when Hilton had a stackable promo of double points + 2500 Lufthansa miles per stay, great if you have lots of 1-night stays, in fact it made some stays almost free. Those promos resulted in a discount of far more than 10%. Double points is a decent promo, but fairly average. I prefer a 10% discount to no discount, but it won't change my decisions for many stays.
You and I seem to be the same boat.
I spend 4-6 nights a week at category 2-3 hotels. So basically 22 or so nights a month.

excluding the first stay, I spent close to $2300 and that gave me ~ 29 nights but only 2300 x 10. so 23000 points.

Now, if Marriott was to offer mega points (75k bonus) for 25 nights or so, i'd be a happy camper.
uscgto is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 5:59 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Programs: Alaska
Posts: 284
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne View Post
i have to admit that what you wrote sounds strange - i have never heard of people leaving an airline/travel brand not because of the quality, but exclusively because of their perception of other customers and the price that they feel these customers may have or may not have paid for the service. i'm not sure hotels and airlines should delve into dynamic pricing if such concerns are held by the majority of customers. the fact that everyone pays a different price on a plane and likewise at each property must cause you and others great concern - perhaps to the extent that you would do a survey and where you find the biggest variance, you could tell the brand that you're leaving them for this reason? i don't think so somehow. because typically you are more interested in the product and service than the inconsequentials that make little to no difference to your 'experience'.

it is fair to say that people don't want to pay more than they have to and if they see other people getting a freebie then they won't like it. i travel exclusively in business and first and yes, i understand this. american carriers are less popular with me because they give their loyal customers free upgrades. in fact there are often debates about whether economy people should be able to use facilities and i do think they should be pushed back to where they came from - but that's a separate debate.

with regards to your discussion about airline loyalty for error fares, then maybe i'm in the minority in selecting airlines based on my experience. if i got lucky with a cheap fare in business somewhere then in future i'm more likely to fly with that airline than someone i've never been with. similarly, there are now so many youtube, instagram, and other travel blogs that detail experience which provide many people who wouldn't ordinarily consider premium travel. you just need to look at the video views to see that the aspiration is there. for me, depending on the maths i'd pay the extra if i've had good experiences in that premium cabin before. and if i hadn't, i'd take a look on youtube etc. so you can see how the marketing works.. i really don't see premium customers leaving cathay because some people got a few cheap flights.

your discussion is simply you saying that there should be limited sales and prices should be high - that way people who are loyal don't feel disgruntled when they see others getting something for less. and while i can see that, it does just look to me like one side of a coin. marriott is simply not an elite brand and acting in such a way would just drag down its business. it would wait for the customers to arrive and they just wouldn't arrive without being incentivised.

you have a strange way of interpreting what I said. I am not concerned who paid what for his/her seat as long as my price does not increase to cover his/hers unnecessarily. When Cathay sold thousands of tickets in mistake, the availability of cheaper/award premium cabin decreases. As a cash paying customer for premium cabin, you bet I am not happy when my regular price increases by a few K. Cathay screws me to please someone who probably won’t pay for another premium seats.
freed0m is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread