Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Day of Arrival Cancellation Policy for Titanium?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Day of Arrival Cancellation Policy for Titanium?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by puntamita
I was told the same thing this past Saturday. I had a reservation in Dallas and flight was cancelled due to weather. It was after 6 pm. Told I woudl get my credit card free night award back. Have not seen. Hopefully get it back as they said I would.
Had a credit card free night cert attached to a reservation that they agreed to refund (after 6 pm day of due to IRROPS). Still can’t see the cert but my Ambassador tells me she can see it. So I may just need to use her to process the rez when I’m ready. A worthwhile aggravation if it means getting the cert back.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Definitely not something to count on with 100% certainty here.
This is what you can do and what I have done successfully a few times in the past. If inside the published cancellation window, I call Marriott line. I explain the situation and ask for a "no cost" cancellation. They have said yes AFTER likely calling the hotel directly. Nonetheless, I don't care who they call or how they do it. In every case I called well before 6pm day of arrival.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Definitely not something to count on with 100% certainty here.
This is what you can do and what I have done successfully a few times in the past. If inside the published cancellation window, I call Marriott line. I explain the situation and ask for a "no cost" cancellation. They have said yes AFTER likely calling the hotel directly. Nonetheless, I don't care who they call or how they do it. In every case I called well before 6pm day of arrival.
At legacy Marriott properties, I have called well after 6 on day of arrival ... when you're stuck in Dallas because of a mis-connect, its after 6
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Something you can do (not a guarantee, but a suggestion), if you call the property within the cancel window due to IRROPS & ask them to cancel w/ no penalty, most will likely say yes. However, the hotel may think you're not getting charged but the MAR system does anyway.

While you have the hotel on the line, ask them to take your CC out of the reservation first & then cancel it. Then there's nothing in the res for the MAR system to charge.

Cheers.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm trying to figure out how much of a headache I just caused myself. Maybe only time will tell.

I tried to book a king room in a particular hotel in a major city for this week (multi night stay) through the website. Every time I select the room I get the "oops, we're sold out" message. So I call the Titanium line and the agent also can't book it. I ask her to do it under the 48-hour guarantee and she told me she can't because there's a double room available. The rate was about $40 more per night so I tell her she can book it. She does so and after she gets the confirmation she says, "That's weird. It booked that under the 48 hour guarantee." She was also adamant that as a Lifetime Titanium member I can call them until 4pm local time om the day of arrival and cancel the reservation for no charge. That's the first I've ever heard of this but it's also only the second reservation I've ever booked over the phone.

Fast forward 12 hours and I check marriott.com again but this time it WILL let me book the king room for the original rate at the same hotel. So I call the Titanium line and ask if they will just change the reservation for me or if they can cancel it and I'll book the new one. The lady tells me she will just cancel the reservation because, "You're Lifetime Titanium. There are no fees for cancelling until 6pm local time on the day of arrival." I have an email of the cancellation but it's clearly after the 3-days-before-arrival cancellation policy of the original reservation.

Ultimately I'm staying at the same hotel and for the same number of nights. But,
1. Am I likely to have issues with them trying to charge me for the original reservation that is now cancelled?
2. If I were staying at a totally separate hotel, would the first one charge me? (This is more of a curiosity)
3. Most importantly, if I am charged for the first night of the cancelled reservation, what policy do I reference to get the fees reversed? Based on this thread the hotels don't know about the unwritten rule that Lifetime Titanium elites can cancel until 4pm or 6pm day of arrival.

Thanks,
-RM
Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I'm trying to figure out how much of a headache I just caused myself. Maybe only time will tell.

I tried to book a king room in a particular hotel in a major city for this week (multi night stay) through the website. Every time I select the room I get the "oops, we're sold out" message. So I call the Titanium line and the agent also can't book it. I ask her to do it under the 48-hour guarantee and she told me she can't because there's a double room available. The rate was about $40 more per night so I tell her she can book it. She does so and after she gets the confirmation she says, "That's weird. It booked that under the 48 hour guarantee." She was also adamant that as a Lifetime Titanium member I can call them until 4pm local time om the day of arrival and cancel the reservation for no charge. That's the first I've ever heard of this but it's also only the second reservation I've ever booked over the phone.

Fast forward 12 hours and I check marriott.com again but this time it WILL let me book the king room for the original rate at the same hotel. So I call the Titanium line and ask if they will just change the reservation for me or if they can cancel it and I'll book the new one. The lady tells me she will just cancel the reservation because, "You're Lifetime Titanium. There are no fees for cancelling until 6pm local time on the day of arrival." I have an email of the cancellation but it's clearly after the 3-days-before-arrival cancellation policy of the original reservation.

Ultimately I'm staying at the same hotel and for the same number of nights. But,
1. Am I likely to have issues with them trying to charge me for the original reservation that is now cancelled?
2. If I were staying at a totally separate hotel, would the first one charge me? (This is more of a curiosity)
3. Most importantly, if I am charged for the first night of the cancelled reservation, what policy do I reference to get the fees reversed? Based on this thread the hotels don't know about the unwritten rule that Lifetime Titanium elites can cancel until 4pm or 6pm day of arrival.

Thanks,
-RM
It shouldn't be a problem. Plat and above are able to cancel without penalty at the vast majority of properties in north America provided it's not a resort or other property with a standard cancel penalty of greater than 72 hours and it's not a prepaid. Rack override rate should be fully cancel-able.

That's the thing it is unwritten. It's written in the agent's policies and procedures but it's not in the terms and conditions. It's something that is supposed to be used sparingly and the more its abused the more likely it will be that it comes to an end. There is already a ton of pressure from hotels to do away with it. Eta: not saying you're abusing but there are a bunch that do abuse it. My favorites are the ones that get to learn the hard way that they dont have the same abilities as the lowly agents do and cancel their own and think Marriott will just clean up their mess. Lol

If there is a problem it will be taken care of. May take a couple calls but it will get resolved.
RobOnLI likes this.

Last edited by thebackcourse; Dec 1, 2019 at 5:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.