Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott and Accor merger rumors arise

Marriott and Accor merger rumors arise

Reply

Old Apr 15, 19, 11:40 am
  #1  
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CT/ Germany - Ich spreche deutsch
Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 3,681
Marriott and Accor merger rumors arise

Wouldn't think it would be likely since they are still digesting Starwood but the rumor mills of Accor being up for play and Marriott and IHG being likely candidate are swirling.

God help us all!

Article: Is Accor the Next Starwood? Whatís Next for Hotel Mergers

https://skift.com/2019/04/10/is-acco...hotel-mergers/
christianj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 19, 11:44 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 1,998
Canít wait for my upgrade at motel 6. I can already see the franchise owners that actually work the front desk giving me the finger and the eye roll.
RoyalFlush and newbiztraveler like this.
myperks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 19, 12:26 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 51
What struck me the most were the idiotic responses of the corporate spokesmen. There are ways to neither confirm nor deny without admitting anything or admitting you know nothing. Maybe they need new PR flacks.

From a practical standpoint I can't imagine regulatory bodies would allow this to happen. Marriott would surely have a monopoly in many Western markets, literally owning everything in the market from yucky roadside motels to 5-star properties.
itravelalot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 19, 1:34 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,244
Originally Posted by myperks View Post
Canít wait for my upgrade at motel 6. I can already see the franchise owners that actually work the front desk giving me the finger and the eye roll.
With that great DYKWIA attitude I am sure you will get what you deserve. (Sounds like you may already be experiencing that LOL!)
Orange County Commuter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 19, 1:40 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 1,998
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter View Post
With that great DYKWIA attitude I am sure you will get what you deserve. (Sounds like you may already be experiencing that LOL!)
dykwia... lifetime member yo... if you donít gimme them upgrades, I go to Hyatt and Hilton. I can already see all the Hyatt goers ranking up a thread on that.

(personally havenít experienced too many fingers and eye rolls because I book what I want to stay in, within reason)

(btw, my post was partially sarcastic) (Iíll put a winky next time)
nancypants likes this.
myperks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 19, 1:42 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Posts: 4,213
Interesting rumor. I stay at the occasional Fairmont or Sofitel. Only reason I could imagine Marriott would be interested would be for the expanded presence in Europe, particularly at a lower price point. But I suspect IHG would be a better suitor.
RoyalFlush likes this.
JBord is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 19, 2:47 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Programs: AA Pro;Ritz Carlton Ambassador;Hilton Silver: SPG Gold
Posts: 86
Wish they'd merge with Loews Hotels
jacca83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 19, 2:49 pm
  #8  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Programs: BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); Hyatt Somethingorother; UA Silver
Posts: 884
Originally Posted by jacca83 View Post
Wish they'd merge with Loews Hotels
Why would you want to ruin Loews?
TBD and cmd320 like this.
CLEguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 19, 2:51 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Iowa...Delta Charter Diamond, now Gold
Posts: 2,020
Originally Posted by myperks View Post
Canít wait for my upgrade at motel 6. I can already see the franchise owners that actually work the front desk giving me the finger and the eye roll.
for $19 rooms, I can become "super platimum"
Live4Miles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 19, 2:53 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: En Route
Programs: Many
Posts: 4,628
Originally Posted by JBord View Post
Interesting rumor. I stay at the occasional Fairmont or Sofitel. Only reason I could imagine Marriott would be interested would be for the expanded presence in Europe, particularly at a lower price point. But I suspect IHG would be a better suitor.
Yea, Sofitel and Intercon are both of the "5-star in name only" variety of hotel.
GetSetJetSet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 19, 2:59 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DCA
Posts: 5,967
Not much excitement here! Personally, I wouldnít mind having Sofitels as options when traveling in Europe. Maybe not true five star, per the above post, but they are nicer than the MR options in a number of European cities I have been to.
arlflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 19, 3:15 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 1,998
Originally Posted by Live4Miles View Post
for $19 rooms, I can become "super platimum"
super duper titanium since there is no way to ambassador at $19 a night
myperks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 19, 3:21 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Posts: 4,213
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Not much excitement here! Personally, I wouldnít mind having Sofitels as options when traveling in Europe. Maybe not true five star, per the above post, but they are nicer than the MR options in a number of European cities I have been to.
Agreed. Although a more likely desire for Marriott might be to have the Novotels in Europe. I still will be surprised if this happens.
JBord is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 19, 3:31 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 1,505
Originally Posted by myperks View Post
Can’t wait for my upgrade at motel 6. I can already see the franchise owners that actually work the front desk giving me the finger and the eye roll.
Accor sold off Motel 6 in 2012. See https://www.travelpulse.com/news/hot...9-billion.html

I think Accor has 24 brands, 21 of which participate in Le Club AccorHotels. Marriott has 30 brands, 29 of which participate in Marriott Bonvoy.

I don't see such a merger happening — but if you had told me ten years ago that Marriott would acquire Starwood, I would not have believed that either.
Horace is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 19, 3:41 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 1,998
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
Accor sold off Motel 6 in 2012. See https://www.travelpulse.com/news/hot...9-billion.html

I think Accor has 24 brands, 21 of which participate in Le Club AccorHotels. Marriott has 30 brands, 29 of which participate in Marriott Bonvoy.

I don't see such a merger happening ó but if you had told me ten years ago that Marriott would acquire Starwood, I would not have believed that either.
my bad... then ibis and ibis budget then
myperks is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread