Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott and Accor merger rumors arise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott and Accor merger rumors arise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by christianj
The footprint would likely be ALL there will be to be happy about if this happens!
ALL will be Bonvoyed.

But on serious note, Marriott and Accor hotels are actually a good complement to each other.

Accor is quite limited on high end offering (Fairmont and Raffles and some limited Sofitel Legend and SO Sofitel)
While Marriott dont have much budget brands like Ibis
paolo64 and Dav77 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by myperks

it was my bad when upthread I mentioned Motel 6 because the last time I stayed at a Motel 6 was when it was still owned by Accor.
Last time I stayed at one might have been in the 70's on a family road trip! Maybe it's changed, but I still picture it as MUCH different than Accor's other brands so it seems odd that so many people have referenced it in comparison here. I still see no reason for Marriott to buy Accor anyway, but some of the Motel 6 posts are truly bizarre.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Motel 6 is not an Accor brand.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:15 pm

Why do people cite anti-trust laws for this? Marriott owns very few of their hotels. I don't know the numbers for Accor, but they do franchise their properties as well. I don't see anyone complaining about Sabre/Amadeus. Marriott's merely a booking platform at this point. This would be no different than if McDonald's were to acquire Burger King. Most are franchised, by local owners/ownership groups and such a merger would by no means force consumers into only one or two choices for crappy food.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:35 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Canarsie
All 30 — including Bulgari — participate in Marriott Bonvoy.
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Bulgari and Ritz-Carlton Reserve properties do not participate in Bonvoy.

Marriott made a smart move with Protea many years ago which made their African coverage that much better. It makes more sense for them to buy more regional chains where they lack presence rather then going after Accor. They were circling Mantra in Australia but were probably too busy with buying Starwood at the time and Accor took Mantra over.
Originally Posted by Horace
From section 1.2 in Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions:

B. The following properties do not participate in the Loyalty Program:

● The Ritz-Carlton, Millennia Singapore
● The Ritz-Carlton Reserve® properties
● The Ritz-Carlton Residences properties, except for The Ritz-Carlton Residences Waikiki Beach which does participate
● The following partner properties:
○ Hotel Ritz-London - London, UK
○ Bulgari Hotels and Resorts - all locations
This is what caused the confusion for me...

Note which parts are most prominent in the above screen shot — the ones which are in black.

It is almost as if Marriott vacillates between 29 and 30 brands while giving the impression that all 30 brands fully participate in Marriott Bonvoy — regardless of the rules and the fine print...
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Reading the thread title almost gave me one of those spit-out-the-coffee moments. Accor is probably the only chain that has worse CS than post-integration Marriott. I can't imagine how bad things might get if these two companies merged.

Having said that, Accor's European footprint is immense, with a boatload of cheap properties and airport hotels that would make it far easier to maintain top-tier status. The brands themselves are mostly forgettable, apart from Sofitel, and it is probably the program where the individual properties seems least connected to the franchise (e.g. in terms of maintaining brand standards or consistency). If you need to contact CS for any reason, then prepare to enter a world of pain.

IHG is known for its terrible status recognition but with Accor it's very simple - Platinum @ Sofitel is good but anything else is basically pointless.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:42 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by christianj
Motel 6 is not an Accor brand.
Not any more, they sold to the current owners in 2012 having owned it since 1990.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G

Note which parts are most prominent in the above screen shot — the ones which are in black.

It is almost as if Marriott vacillates between 29 and 30 brands while giving the impression that all 30 brands fully participate in Marriott Bonvoy — regardless of the rules and the fine print...
I know exactly where you are coming from. Unlike Ritz-Carlton Reserve properties where it specifically lists that they don't participate in Bonvoy, there is absolute nothing to indicate Bulgari hotels don't earn Bonvoy points throughout the entire booking process. Having said that, Bulgari was only recently added to the Marriott search engine. Maybe there is something in the works. I wouldn't be surprised if there was pressure from the Chinese owners of their Shanghai and Beijing properties with a very limited customer base and the rates they charge are hardly sustainable.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Even if i think it could be a rare event ...of course I would be very happy

Accor could learn some good manners about how to treat loyal members from Marriott, on mid level properties

offer would increase especially in countries (like Italy) where hotel chains have just some few properties

I think also Sofitel / So Sofitel / Mgallery are some kind of properties that Marriott don’t have on their portfolio

at the same, on budget properties (Ibis etc)

Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by joakgarp
There's only one hotel chain that needs Accor and all of their hotels and that's Hyatt. Hyatt needs to increase its foot print and with Accor they can for real compete with Hilton and Marriott.
Accor is mostly European-centric. While Hyatt still has a lot of holes (like Brussels), their SLH partnership has gone a long way to fill those holes in Europe.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Finkface
I stayed at a Fairmont last night. Just after I read this, I was chatting with one of the manager’s and said I had heard this rumor. She put her head down, smiled wryly and said she can’t talk about it. I got the very strong impression that something was in the works. And she wasn’t too happy about it.
That sounds like the same response I got from a FDC at the YVR Fairmont when I asked how things were working out with Accor buying them. Bottom line: not good.

As others have stated, it's extremely unlikely a hotel manager is going to have any knowledge of such a merger.

I don't see such a merger getting past European regulators.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver

This part of Bonvoy is quite misleading to be honest.

If you do a search in the area with Bvlgari hotel, there are no notes/announcement about the hotels non participation.

Quite different with RC Singapore and RC Reserves properties which have not so obvious note that the hotel is not Bonvoyed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.