Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott and Accor merger rumors arise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott and Accor merger rumors arise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:10 am

They do this and I’ll run screaming from the building, if only in anticipation of the need to comprehend the breakfast benefit /lounge access for another 20 brands. Please, NO.
dtremit likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I can't speak entirely to their relative footprints, but at some point anticompetitive concerns are going to pop up somewhere. Canada and the EU seem like candidates for such objections (for varying reasons). So even if this were to happen, I suspect you'd see some significant divestments as a result given Marriott's size as-is (the relevant comparison being airline mergers at this point).
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
All I have to say is YUCK.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Very much hope it is IHG not Marriott that buy Accor, after the mess Marriott has made of SPG it has pushed me much more towards IHG and Hilton. Accor options would be a great addition to another brand.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by paolo64
They do this and I’ll run screaming from the building, if only in anticipation of the need to comprehend the breakfast benefit /lounge access for another 20 brands. Please, NO.
It will be easy to comprehend...there will be NO breakfast/lounge benefit if they merge since they won't have to worry about the competition due to their size and if they adopt anything from Accor it will be even worse than the current program we have.

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Accor and Hyatt makes more sense to me. (I wanted Hyatt to get Starwood.)

But I like Accor as it is. I hope nobody acquires it.
I doubt Hyatt would acquire Accor...more the other way around and that would be even worse IMHO than Marriott buying Accor. Accor would be sure to ruin the Hyatt program in a second like they have with the Fairmont program. You must be one of the few people on FT that thiniks Accor has a good program.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Very much hope it is IHG not Marriott that buy Accor, after the mess Marriott has made of SPG it has pushed me much more towards IHG and Hilton. Accor options would be a great addition to another brand.
Dear gods, not IHG...

(I've had just enough problems with IHG hosing me as if they were the hipsters of Bonvoying that frankly I'll only book them via a third party at this point, and then only when stuck for options.)
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Dear gods, not IHG...

(I've had just enough problems with IHG hosing me as if they were the hipsters of Bonvoying that frankly I'll only book them via a third party at this point, and then only when stuck for options.)
Amen, IHG is the worst. I somehow obtained Spire Inner Circle with them last year, despite barely staying at any of their properties. After 1-2 stays at IHG properties so far this year, I am DONE with them. Awful.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I don't want anyone else merging... there's more than enough friggin marriotts . (ditto for hiltons)
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:37 pm

If I had to take a merger, I'd take Hyatt and Accor merging. Hyatt is thin overseas, Accor is thin in the US (or, more properly, doesn't exist for me in North America outside of Fairmont), and it would give me a global alternative to Marriott that I can live with (and keep my stays in Canada from being effectively kicked off-brand).
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotturnip
But I like Accor as it is. I hope nobody acquires it.
Accor is replacing its loyalty program later this year. So it's going to change some, whether it gets acquired or not.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by daniellam
If they do merge, I hope Marriott would learn from Accor's program and offer the possibility of earning elite status based on revenue in addition to nights.

With Club Accor, I can easily get status by staying in more expensive suites at Fairmont hotels without even needing the number of nights typically required!
​​​​​​
This.

Up until now I still think these revenue qualification supposedly encourage members to try and book the hotels better offerings like suites or even top of the line rooms.
Current Marriott qualification seems to encourage people to book the base rooms as booking higher priced rooms only give you point (maybe better treatment but that will be depends on property)
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
There's only one hotel chain that needs Accor and all of their hotels and that's Hyatt. Hyatt needs to increase its foot print and with Accor they can for real compete with Hilton and Marriott.
entropy and DenverBrian like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I can't speak entirely to their relative footprints, but at some point anticompetitive concerns are going to pop up somewhere. Canada and the EU seem like candidates for such objections (for varying reasons). So even if this were to happen, I suspect you'd see some significant divestments as a result given Marriott's size as-is (the relevant comparison being airline mergers at this point).
Australia is more likely actually than Canada or Europe. If Marriott were to acquire Accor, which recently acquired Mantra, they would hold almost an absolute monopoly on hotel accomodation in the market, which ACCC would absolutely object to. New Zealand's commerce commission would also likely block it, despite being less impacted than Australia.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by christianj
It will be easy to comprehend...there will be NO breakfast/lounge benefit if they merge since they won't have to worry about the competition due to their size and if they adopt anything from Accor it will be even worse than the current program we have.

I doubt Hyatt would acquire Accor...more the other way around and that would be even worse IMHO than Marriott buying Accor. Accor would be sure to ruin the Hyatt program in a second like they have with the Fairmont program. You must be one of the few people on FT that thiniks Accor has a good program.
It's not about the program. I just like Accor hotels.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Accor has a HUGE amount of hotels here in Europe (France, Italy, Germany.,...) and many of them are not so bad to me (Sofitel, Suite Novotel are a nice idea, some Mercures...).

That would increase the number of options to gain points almost everywhere, even on the budget line.

On the contrary, I fear the risk of TOTAL inconsistency of the post-merger Fidelity program (breakfast for Elites only at some brands, Executive lounges, 4pm late c/o guaranteed, upgrades...) since the best benefits of Marriott Bonvoy have no corrispondence at all in the Accor fidelity scheme, at least in my experience.

Cross the fingers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.