Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott and Accor merger rumors arise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott and Accor merger rumors arise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I stayed at a Fairmont last night. Just after I read this, I was chatting with one of the manager’s and said I had heard this rumor. She put her head down, smiled wryly and said she can’t talk about it. I got the very strong impression that something was in the works. And she wasn’t too happy about it.
unclepants, KRSW and doggiefizzle like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
Agreed. Although a more likely desire for Marriott might be to have the Novotels in Europe. I still will be surprised if this happens.
Across the board, it would be a great footprint expansion play in the upper-ish tier of the market in cities where MR currently either has next to nothing or 1-2 (often old and tired) conference-type properties.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
zero chance this is going to happen
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ibis, Motel 6, F1, Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis........makes perfect sense
KRSW likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by myperks
Can’t wait for my upgrade at motel 6. I can already see the franchise owners that actually work the front desk giving me the finger and the eye roll.
Honestly, I stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Albuquerque a couple weekends ago, and (aside from breakfast) the room/service/experience was far below the average Motel 6. Despite its reputation, Motel 6 rooms now tend to have decent sheets, flat screen TVs and clean bathrooms. Sometimes people just want someplace horizontal to sleep after a rough week.

After all, when talking to people who have never flown J I always have the same quip: "If you've ever eaten at an Olive Garden or stayed at a Motel 6, you were probably more comfortable than the average business class passenger. Still, if you patronized either of those businesses and woke up thousands of miles away there might be other things to worry about."
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:06 pm

super duper titanium since there is no way to ambassador at $19 a night
I want Madame Curium status
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
super duper titanium since there is no way to ambassador at $19 a night
Ambassador is the most useless Bonvoy "perk" of all.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:52 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Horace
Marriott has 30 brands, 29 of which participate in Marriott Bonvoy.
All 30 — including Bulgari — participate in Marriott Bonvoy.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Bulgari and Ritz-Carlton Reserve properties do not participate in Bonvoy.

Marriott made a smart move with Protea many years ago which made their African coverage that much better. It makes more sense for them to buy more regional chains where they lack presence rather then going after Accor. They were circling Mantra in Australia but were probably too busy with buying Starwood at the time and Accor took Mantra over.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Finkface
I stayed at a Fairmont last night. Just after I read this, I was chatting with one of the manager’s and said I had heard this rumor. She put her head down, smiled wryly and said she can’t talk about it. I got the very strong impression that something was in the works. And she wasn’t too happy about it.
I can guarantee you that a random manager at a random Fairmont would have zero insider knowledge on a multi-billion dollar M&A deal. Highly restricted non-public material information is treated with a great degree of sensitivity. If that manager knows inside information on it, someone has royally screwed up.

Whatever the manager does know is almost certainly from rumors which have a high probability of being detatched from reality.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Accor and Hyatt makes more sense to me. (I wanted Hyatt to get Starwood.)

But I like Accor as it is. I hope nobody acquires it.
3rdworldresident and sscywong like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Canarsie
From section 1.2 in Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions:

B. The following properties do not participate in the Loyalty Program:

● The Ritz-Carlton, Millennia Singapore
● The Ritz-Carlton Reserve® properties
● The Ritz-Carlton Residences properties, except for The Ritz-Carlton Residences Waikiki Beach which does participate
● The following partner properties:
○ Hotel Ritz-London - London, UK
○ Bulgari Hotels and Resorts - all locations
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
If they do merge, I hope Marriott would learn from Accor's program and offer the possibility of earning elite status based on revenue in addition to nights.

With Club Accor, I can easily get status by staying in more expensive suites at Fairmont hotels without even needing the number of nights typically required!
jacca83 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
A French company selling itself to an American one? Yeah right...
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ethernal
I can guarantee you that a random manager at a random Fairmont would have zero insider knowledge on a multi-billion dollar M&A deal. Highly restricted non-public material information is treated with a great degree of sensitivity. If that manager knows inside information on it, someone has royally screwed up.

Whatever the manager does know is almost certainly from rumors which have a high probability of being detatched from reality.
This.
iflyjetz and Antarius like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.