Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott and Accor merger rumors arise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

Wouldn't think it would be likely since they are still digesting Starwood but the rumor mills of Accor being up for play and Marriott and IHG being likely candidate are swirling.

God help us all!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/acco...l-mergers.html

https://skift.com/2019/04/10/is-acco...hotel-mergers/
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:44 am

Can’t wait for my upgrade at motel 6. I can already see the franchise owners that actually work the front desk giving me the finger and the eye roll.
RoyalFlush and newbiztraveler like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
What struck me the most were the idiotic responses of the corporate spokesmen. There are ways to neither confirm nor deny without admitting anything or admitting you know nothing. Maybe they need new PR flacks.

From a practical standpoint I can't imagine regulatory bodies would allow this to happen. Marriott would surely have a monopoly in many Western markets, literally owning everything in the market from yucky roadside motels to 5-star properties.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
Can’t wait for my upgrade at motel 6. I can already see the franchise owners that actually work the front desk giving me the finger and the eye roll.
With that great DYKWIA attitude I am sure you will get what you deserve. (Sounds like you may already be experiencing that LOL!)
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
With that great DYKWIA attitude I am sure you will get what you deserve. (Sounds like you may already be experiencing that LOL!)
dykwia... lifetime member yo... if you don’t gimme them upgrades, I go to Hyatt and Hilton. I can already see all the Hyatt goers ranking up a thread on that.

(personally haven’t experienced too many fingers and eye rolls because I book what I want to stay in, within reason)

(btw, my post was partially sarcastic) (I’ll put a winky next time)
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Interesting rumor. I stay at the occasional Fairmont or Sofitel. Only reason I could imagine Marriott would be interested would be for the expanded presence in Europe, particularly at a lower price point. But I suspect IHG would be a better suitor.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Pro;Ritz Carlton Ambassador;Hilton Silver: SPG Gold
Wish they'd merge with Loews Hotels
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by jacca83
Wish they'd merge with Loews Hotels
Why would you want to ruin Loews?
TBD and cmd320 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:51 pm

for $19 rooms, I can become "super platimum"
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by JBord
Interesting rumor. I stay at the occasional Fairmont or Sofitel. Only reason I could imagine Marriott would be interested would be for the expanded presence in Europe, particularly at a lower price point. But I suspect IHG would be a better suitor.
Yea, Sofitel and Intercon are both of the "5-star in name only" variety of hotel.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:59 pm

Not much excitement here! Personally, I wouldn’t mind having Sofitels as options when traveling in Europe. Maybe not true five star, per the above post, but they are nicer than the MR options in a number of European cities I have been to.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Live4Miles
for $19 rooms, I can become "super platimum"
super duper titanium since there is no way to ambassador at $19 a night
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Not much excitement here! Personally, I wouldn’t mind having Sofitels as options when traveling in Europe. Maybe not true five star, per the above post, but they are nicer than the MR options in a number of European cities I have been to.
Agreed. Although a more likely desire for Marriott might be to have the Novotels in Europe. I still will be surprised if this happens.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Accor sold off Motel 6 in 2012. See https://www.travelpulse.com/news/hot...9-billion.html

I think Accor has 24 brands, 21 of which participate in Le Club AccorHotels. Marriott has 30 brands, 29 of which participate in Marriott Bonvoy.

I don't see such a merger happening — but if you had told me ten years ago that Marriott would acquire Starwood, I would not have believed that either.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
Accor sold off Motel 6 in 2012. See https://www.travelpulse.com/news/hot...9-billion.html

I think Accor has 24 brands, 21 of which participate in Le Club AccorHotels. Marriott has 30 brands, 29 of which participate in Marriott Bonvoy.

I don't see such a merger happening — but if you had told me ten years ago that Marriott would acquire Starwood, I would not have believed that either.
my bad... then ibis and ibis budget then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.