Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How is FHR recognizing VS Plat/titanium in 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Besides $100 spa/dining credit, how is Amex FHR benefits( service/welcome gift/upgrades) comparing to Plat/titanium in 2019 for Mariott's luxury hotel, Such as Edition, RC, St Regis,...etc.

Please share your experience.

Reports been told that in Asia, hotel usually giving more generous welcome fruit/ gift and personalize service for FHR holders without any hotel status Versus our Platinum.

But also heard that Plat/titanium is more possibly to upgrade to a suite , FHR is usually strict to 1~2 step upgrades.

Please share your experience by using both side. Which have better benefit and recognizing
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I just log in to my Marriott account and I comparing to Amex FHR rate Vs Marriott member rate at JW Marriott Phu Quoc,

Amex: $900/2nights

Marriott: $ 816/2 nights, free cancel, even cheaper for non cancelation rate!

The FHR $100 credits is included in the rate, its rate are much more expensive than Marriott rate , not worth it if you got Plat above status! I thought they are giving the same rate.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:01 am

Why not both?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Gunner14
Why not both?
Can't book third party and still get elite benefits
ExArkie likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chongl
Can't book third party and still get elite benefits
FHR rates are eligible for elite benefits, and post-paid ones should earn points/EQN. They work the same way as corporate booked rates, not like OTAs.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
FHR rates are eligible for elite benefits, and post-paid ones should earn points/EQN. They work the same way as corporate booked rates, not like OTAs.
Thank you for educating me. Will keep this in mind next time so I don't have to choose one over the other!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:29 am

Likewise with Virtuoso rates. These, similarly to FHR, can be combined with your existing Marriott status.

I have anecdotally found that the treatment (room upgrades, etc.) when combining both SPG Plat status & a Virtuoso rate to be much better than Plat status alone, in Asia.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by zzap
Likewise with Virtuoso rates. These, similarly to FHR, can be combined with your existing Marriott status.

I have anecdotally found that the treatment (room upgrades, etc.) when combining both SPG Plat status & a Virtuoso rate to be much better than Plat status alone, in Asia.
I have also found that the FHR one category upgrade also applies on top of a SNA confirmed in advance - for what it's worth.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I didn't really understand the point of the thread as the OP seemed to be suggesting that FHR and elite benefits were mutually exclusive, when they clearly are not.

It's worth pointing out that it's not just FHR (via the Amex Plat) that provides this but also Hotel Collection (via the Amex Gold).
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yurtripper
I didn't really understand the point of the thread as the OP seemed to be suggesting that FHR and elite benefits were mutually exclusive, when they clearly are not.

It's worth pointing out that it's not just FHR (via the Amex Plat) that provides this but also Hotel Collection (via the Amex Gold).
Hotel Collection bookings do have the upgrade on arrival when available, but unless they've changed they're not eligible for elite benefits, points, or EQNs because they're not qualifying rates. So they would be mutually exclusive.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gunner14
I have also found that the FHR one category upgrade also applies on top of a SNA confirmed in advance - for what it's worth.
Note that for many properties, FHR rules say that they won't upgrade beyond some particular room category, so there might one be any additional upgrade possible under FHR. Similarly, if you book a sufficiently high category room, FHR rules can imply that you're not entitled to any further upgrade even if available.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:23 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I have had two stays in the last month. One a non Marriott FHR where I was upgraded to a suite and the second room was upgraded to a deluxe room with extremely good FHR recognition. The other was a Westin I stay at regularly ( Westin Michigan Ave) where I have yet to see a suite ever or even a large regular room in a number of stays. Not even a mention of my status (lifetime titanium) other than saying I could have a late checkout. For leisure stays I am looking at shifting to the FHR when rates are reasonably close.
Nevsky likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Checking FHR, Virtuoso, and Marriott.com pricing for St Regis Singapore on 13-15 jun I got these price :
FHR $330
Virtuoso $327
Marriott $325 (member rate) $331 (regular rate)

All rate have similar cancellation policy (1 day before check in)
And yet FHR and Virtuoso manage to give $100 (S$137)hotel credit (F&B only I believe), breakfast for 2 and upgrade if available
Member rate however, not include breakfast (elite could choose to have breakfast form welcome amenity), no f&b credit, and no upgrade if member are silver or below tier.

Does hotel pay less comission for FHR and Virtuoso compare to direct booking through Marriott com?
Because the price difference between Marriott own price vs the other two is pretty much negligible to cover the cost of those extra benefit.
(assuming guest used all their f&b credit)
Dav77 and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:00 pm

Ritz Carlton Guangzhou in January 2019: FHR with Titanium (Plat Premier back then) number attached. Amex FHR rep added my Marriott number in advance of my stay and stay appeared in my Marriott app reservations list. I did receive EQNs and points and even welcome gift points afterwards.

At check-in welcomed as FHR member, no reference of Plat Premier status or benefits. Check-in confirmation page they asked me to sign said "Status: Rewards Member". I pointed this out and she looked at my profile and said it was an error as she could see my status. She said I was upgraded up one or two categories to a deluxe room with a view. I enquired about suites and she said they were all sold out (almost a full house) and she promised that she had given me the best available room.

Room had a fruit basket and note recognizing FHR. Nice view, but a bit of a dated room (old carpet and TV, etc) and small (admittedly I received 95+% average for suite upgrades in Asia so any non-suite will feel small). I went out for a walk around and on the ride back happened to check the app to see if they were truly out of suites, however several suite categories were still available for sale. Upon return my keycard also didn't work so when I went back to the front desk I asked if I could chat with the duty manager. Front Office Manager came out, asked where we should talk (she suggested club lounge), so we went up and I expressed my frustration about when properties lie about suite availability (if you don't want to upgrade, just be transparent, don't invent a disprovable reason) and likewise about the lack of titanium recognition. I didn't ask for anything, just felt the feedback might help the generally service-oriented brand.

I got a sincere apology and she went off to check, and sure enough, had a suite available for me. The property has a Cantonese restaurant recently recognized by Michelin (one of the first two in Guangzhou) and they encouraged me to use my 100USD credit there. I ordered lunch for two people by picking random a la carte options and they also sent us a few extra dishes they really wanted us to try. It was a really lovely gesture with some great food.

In short: they probably wouldn't have even known or cared about titanium status if I hadn't brought it up. They really care about FHR more and acted as if that was my only status.
jaejaez likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
If I book an FHR Prepaid rate, do I get Bonvoy credit for the stay?

By booking prepaid, I get the 5X Amex Points but don't want to lose the Bonvoy credit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.