Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Colorado Marriott Advice use 7 night Travel package

Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Sorry this is a bit of a general question, probably no exact answer.
I am an Australian looking to use one of my 7 night travel packages at a Marriott in Colorado.
Could someone please advice which category 4 or 5 hotel would be best for a 7 night stay for someone who loves the outdoors and wants to hike during the day and drink good local beers at night
Cheers
Paul
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Try Breckenridge, Vail/Avon, Aspen, & Steamboat if you want to be in the mountains (there are a lot of top category properties in those places but also a few cat 4 or 5). Boulder, Ft. Collins and Colorado Springs are also possible depending on how far you want to drive each day.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be very careful about cancellation deadlines and penalties. Some hotels in Colorado (there's a thread about this for a StR, but lower category properties in resort locations might try to do the same) have a 90 day cancellation deadline for part of the year and if you don't cancel an award stay by then, you will be charged the rack rate for the entire length of your reservation, even if you show up the following day because your flight was delayed, perhaps due to weather in Colorado.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by paul940
Could someone please advice which category 4 or 5 hotel would be best for a 7 night stay for someone who loves the outdoors and wants to hike during the day and drink good local beers at night
Cheers
Paul
Even by Australian standards Colorado is a decent-sized place. Grand Junction isn't like Denver - although both have reasonable proximity to mountains. You may want to do some location research outside of resources like FlyerTalk.

This hotel map - which can be filtered by award category - is a good place to start after you've considered a base. https://insiders.marriott.com/thread/55103
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
If the OP wants to HIKE during the day, then that's summer. June-September. Maybe May, but there's a reason it's called Mud Season in the mountains.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
I'd look closely at Breckenridge. It fits your needs locally plus you can do day trips to Colorado Springs, Aspen, Leadville, Vail and all smaller towns in-between.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
OK -- I will give you some places to look at

1. Sheraton Steamboat Villas --Timeshare so limited benefits but my number 1 pick. You probably need to fly into Steamboat.

2. Element Basalt - Aspen. I like this place close to Aspen. Close to Hiking. Number 2 pick. You get Breakfast.

2. Sheraton Mountain Vista -- nice but timeshare place so limited benefits.

3. Residence Inn Breckenridge. Mountain town. Never stayed here. Probably should be higher on my list but since I have not stayed not sure about this place.

4. Residence Inn Glenwood Springs never stayed here.

5. Courtyard Glenwood Springs--never stayed here Glenwood Spring is an hour or so from Aspen Cat 4. Good for hiking.

6. Residence Inn Boulder never stayed hear near the Flatirons.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help.
Some great suggestions in there
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
All great recommendations, I would also add

Sheraton Mountain Vista Villas, Avon/Vail Valley
Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge @ Breckenridge (Or Residence Inn Breckenridge)

Virtually every place mentioned already will have terrific hiking and even better beer. If you're looking for outdoors + beer closer to Denver, look at staying in Boulder.
You'll have a great time regardless of where you end up deciding and don't overthink your choice. Have fun!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.