Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Fairfield Inn Times Square South - NYC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Opening April '19. Cat 5. Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...-square-south/

" Fairfield Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square South, a dual branded property sharing one building with SpringHill Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square South. It all comes together at this hotel with affordable rooms near Madison Square Garden, The Shed, Javits Center and many other Midtown NYC attractions. Find what you need when you need it, whether it's a workout in the 24/7 fitness center or round-the-clock snacks at the Market. A free breakfast featuring scrambled eggs, sausage and plenty of healthy options ensures a balanced start to your day. Make room for your daily routine in our hotel rooms featuring separate living, working and sleeping areas. Our 2,000-square-foot Garment Room offers a focused setting for a successful meeting of the minds in the Garment District."

"Fairfield Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square South is located in Midtown's Garment District neighborhood near The Shed, Empire State Building, Jacob Javits Convention Center, Penn Station and Hudson Yards all within walking distance."

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Apr 13, 2019 at 4:40 pm
Old May 2, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Gold Delta Silver Nexus
Any scoop on this new property? Has it opened yet? Booked for this summer.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: Alaska
which one is better?

This one or Springhill Suites beside?

Similar price.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL!!!

Just stayed this past weekend and was told it opened three weeks ago. It is a complete mess. Front desk staff is totally untrained, housekeeping doesn't know what they're doing and there's almost always a line--sometimes 15+ minutes--for the elevators. While the staff will eventually be trained, the massive elevator issue can't be resolved and for that reason, I'll never return. They only have two(!) elevators for the fifteen floors that are the Fairfield Inn portion of the building, and there are probably 12-15 rooms per floor. To make matters worse, there are NO service elevators so even in the middle of the day, the elevators take forever as the staff lovingly takes one of the two elevators out of service for their use. As if that's not bad enough, the SpringHill suites have two elevators for floors 1-14, however they can also access the Fairfield Inn elevator bank (which really goes to every floor) so the elevator often stops on almost every floor as you descend (I'm not kidding).

The hotel is co-branded with the Springhill suites. I have no idea why they did this, however the first 14 floors are Springhill suites & floors 15-29 are Fairfield Inn. I stayed at the Fairfield portion, but I'd be surprised if the rooms are much different.

The good:
- Internet speed (at least for elites) is fast, about 30 meg/sec.
- Really nice, large (I think 55") LG 4k tv in room
- They have a very large breakfast buffet however with 30 floors of guests, you can imagine how insane it can be trying to get food & find a table.

The bad
- The shower literally had pieces of grout all over the floor. I assumed I may have been the first guest in the room and let it go, thinking housekeeping would obviously clean the shower when they freshened my room. They did not.
- Small rooms. I was expecting this, however there was only room for one suitcase on the ground, there's that little floor space.
- Checked in late on first night. Asked associate during check-in if I had been upgraded to larger room. Was told "sorry, it's late and we gave away upgraded rooms earlier." So glad I'm lifetime Titanium.

The ugly
- The elevators are the reason no one should ever stay here. I'm shocked the city allowed only two elevators for the top 15 floors, especially because there's no service elevator. At best you could arrive/leave during off hours, however good luck around breakfast & evening hours. Also, during my stay the Springhill suite rooms (floors 1-14) which had their own two elevators could also use the elevators from the Fairfield elevator bank, meaning they had access to all 4 elevators while the Fairfield is stuck with 2 (and sharing those with Springhill). Beyond frustrating in both time waiting to get an elevator and the fact it stops at every other floor on the way up/down. This is why I will never stay here again.

- A/C in room barely works. The weekend I was in town, the outside temp was never above 75 degrees however my room's a/c never made it to the set temp. When I first got in the room and it was humid & hot (despite claiming only 71 degrees on thermostat), I turned it down to 67 degrees--in two days it never hit that temp. The closest it ever got was 69 degrees and my last afternoon (when it was 75 degrees outside) it didn't get below 74 degrees. Yet another reason you definitely don't want to stay here in the summer.

- My last day I had a 4pm checkout and returned to hotel about 3pm. I didn't want to take the long elevator ride up only to find out my key didn't work so I went to the front desk and asked to have it re-keyed. I gave the associate my room key and said my room number while I reached for my wallet. She asked if I was "Mr. xxxxxx" (without prompting) and I confirmed. She then gave me new keys without checking my license. So, to recap, by simply giving a room number she spoke the name of the guest registered in that room. Once I confirmed that was me (without showing ID) she gave me new room keys!

Last edited by moulder3; May 21, 2019 at 9:14 am
Old May 20, 2019, 4:37 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Whoa.

Upcoming stay canceled. Seemed like a decent lower priced option in the area, but I guess not.

Thanks for the detailed notes!
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:09 pm

After reading the preceding reviews, I was a little hesitant to book this hotel. But eventually did book Springhill Suites as it was cheaper than Fairfield by $10-20 per night.

Both hotels have ironed out the teething issues associated with the elevators, so one set of elevators are now dedicated to Springhill Suites (floors 2-14) and another set for Fairfield (floors 15-29).

Both hotels share the same lobby and dining room. Breakfast has a selection of (severely overcooked) scrambled eggs; either sausage or ham on alternate days; some fruit (strawberries and rock melon); oatmeal with condiments; the usual carb station of breads, bagels, muffins and scones; juice, Starbucks brewed coffee in large canisters and teabags to make your own tea. At weekends, there are waffle stations where you queue as a staff makes fresh waffles. Can imagine the breakfast session to be very packed with guests during peak hours - so come down early ideally as soon as it starts, which is 6:30 am on weekdays and 7:00 am on weekends. However I’m amazed at how much disposable cutlery (single use plastics!) are used daily.

The vicinity around the hotel complex isn’t particularly pleasant. With a weed shop round the corner, there’s oftentimes a faint whiff of weed smoke coming through the Aircon vents. Aside from that, the Aircon worked well during my stay, temperatures are adjustable at every half degree Celsius.

Opposite the hotel is a warehouse of sorts where the food carts all around Manhattan are returned and parked. One night I passed by someone who was shooting drugs up his arm, and on my day of departure another was shooting a syringe up his thigh on the steps leading to the subway - in broad afternoon daylight. There’s a sex shop on the same street, often a few men could be seen hovering around soliciting.

The hotel itself is pleasant enough, but I don’t think I’d return due to its less than savoury vicinity.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Stayed there earlier this month and actually had a great experience.
The front desk emailed me the day before arrival with a welcome message, which allowed me to respond and say I wouldn't be checking in until after 9 p.m. and request a high floor. I'm LT, but also booked the "executive" king, which was about $9 more per night.
Was given a nearly 400-sq-ft room (very generous by NY standards) on the top floor. I was shocked that it had a couch! No problem with the elevators, the staff seemed friendly and the gym was beyond decent for a Fairfield/Springhill.
The only complaint I have is the AC. There is only one setting for the fan - high - and when it kicked it, it sounded like a jet taking off at JFK. I called maintenance the next morning because I was sure there was something wrong with it, but the very personable maintenance director lamented that it's the way they were all installed and the GM doesn't want it changed because otherwise people will play with the settings and they'll break more easily. Um, OK.
So, yeah, while it was very quiet otherwise, the AC interrupted my sleep immensely.
As for the neighborhood, I didn't find it any less savory than the surrounding blocks, where I've stayed at other Fairfields. There is also a police precinct behind the hotel on 35th Street. I was in town for work at Madison Square Garden and it's VERY convenient to the venue/Penn Station and multiple subways.
I would absolutely stay here again when the price is right.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by melissaru
Stayed there earlier this month and actually had a great experience.
The front desk emailed me the day before arrival with a welcome message, which allowed me to respond and say I wouldn't be checking in until after 9 p.m. and request a high floor. I'm LT, but also booked the "executive" king, which was about $9 more per night.
Was given a nearly 400-sq-ft room (very generous by NY standards) on the top floor. I was shocked that it had a couch! No problem with the elevators, the staff seemed friendly and the gym was beyond decent for a Fairfield/Springhill.
The only complaint I have is the AC. There is only one setting for the fan - high - and when it kicked it, it sounded like a jet taking off at JFK. I called maintenance the next morning because I was sure there was something wrong with it, but the very personable maintenance director lamented that it's the way they were all installed and the GM doesn't want it changed because otherwise people will play with the settings and they'll break more easily. Um, OK.
So, yeah, while it was very quiet otherwise, the AC interrupted my sleep immensely.
As for the neighborhood, I didn't find it any less savory than the surrounding blocks, where I've stayed at other Fairfields. There is also a police precinct behind the hotel on 35th Street. I was in town for work at Madison Square Garden and it's VERY convenient to the venue/Penn Station and multiple subways.
I would absolutely stay here again when the price is right.
stayed here earlier this month & had no problem with the ac noise....i do agree with just one setting....i found that irritating as well....

i agree with you about the neighborhood as well....it is the same as the surrounding blocks & i've never felt unsafe in this area....

if the price is right i won't hesitate staying here again....
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:07 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
The maintenance guy did say that mine was louder than others he'd heard, perhaps because it was on the top floor. He offered to look for a similar room on a lower floor, but since I was only going to be there one more night, I figured I'd keep the loudness I knew on an otherwise quiet floor with no one above me!
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by melissaru
The maintenance guy did say that mine was louder than others he'd heard, perhaps because it was on the top floor. He offered to look for a similar room on a lower floor, but since I was only going to be there one more night, I figured I'd keep the loudness I knew on an otherwise quiet floor with no one above me!
fair enough....i would have stayed put on a short stay as well....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.