Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Time for me to move on - charged a cancellation fee after being told I wouldn't

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time for me to move on - charged a cancellation fee after being told I wouldn't

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
It wasn't inadvertent, but Marriott seems far more willing to tolerate these sorts of shenanigans than do the others.
Is Marriott tolerating? Or are they initiating?

If you look at Marriott properties on OTA websites like booking.com, expedia, etc. They have a specific time when MR properties booked on a flex rate becomes non-refundable. So why do OTAs have very clear cancellation policies of Marriott properties but Marriott itself don't?

Take for example Westin Berlin. It is very clear what the cancel policy is on OTAs. Cant Marriott be like this? or maybe It is because their system is inferior compared to SPG?

Last edited by supatight80; Apr 18, 2019 at 6:58 am
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I would say they are tolerating properties changing their policies. They are initiating the obfuscation of cancellation policies.

And to the previous poster who said I should get with the 21st century? I'd rather take the century out and beat it to a bloody pulp. It sucks.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by supatight80
Is Marriott tolerating? Or are they initiating?

If you look at Marriott properties on OTA websites like booking.com, expedia, etc. They have a specific time when MR properties booked on a flex rate becomes non-refundable. So why do OTAs have very clear cancellation policies of Marriott properties but Marriott itself don't?

Take for example Westin Berlin. It is very clear what the cancel policy is on OTAs. Cant Marriott be like this? or maybe It is because their system is inferior compared to SPG?

Why is the cancellation deadline one minute before midnight for the first example and 6 pm (eighteen hours later) in the second example?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
As an update - I received a very brief email late last night from my Ambassador telling me that the charge would be reversed. So, there's the good news - and I'll take it.

That said, the whole experience has left a sour taste in my mouth. Even after all of this (and after having to escalate after first being told "no"), there was no apology for it occurring, clarification of the actual cancellation policy, or an explanation of why it happened.

So while I ultimately got the cancellation fee waived, I still don't know how to prevent this happening in the future (short of always calling the hotel rather than reservations and making sure I have a call recorder on in compliance with whatever local laws there are... ).
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why is the cancellation deadline one minute before midnight for the first example and 6 pm (eighteen hours later) in the second example?
Different cancellation policy rules agreed upon between the property and the OTA. Having said that if OTAs can do it, why not MR?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:04 am

so the BRG team can decline a match since it’s different. Just got one declined for this very reason, same cancellation date but different hours
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by myperks

so the BRG team can decline a match since it’s different. Just got one declined for this very reason, same cancellation date but different hours
Then the BRG team knows and can verify the exact cancellation time. What did they say it should be for reservations made on the Starriott website? One minute before midnight the previous day, one minute before midnight on the date given, check in time, noon, 4 pm, 6 pm, etc.? And what time was the deadline for the OLTA?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:28 am

Then the BRG team knows and can verify the exact cancellation time. What did they say it should be for reservations made on the Starriott website? One minute before midnight the previous day, one minute before midnight on the date given, check in time, noon, 4 pm, 6 pm, etc.? And what time was the deadline for the OLTA?
my assumption is because of the hours as the reply email did not specifically state to that effect. Marriott was 1 day before and booking dot com was 4pm one day before, which was only difference (other than the rate) that I can tell. Although I thought they would have just declined on the basis that I didn’t book the lowest rate which would have been a prepaid.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ethernal

......So while I ultimately got the cancellation fee waived, I still don't know how to prevent this happening in the future (short of always calling the hotel rather than reservations and making sure I have a call recorder on in compliance with whatever local laws there are... ).
Happening in the future? Are you kidding?
You stated in your original post AND the title of this thread that it is time for you to move on. YOUR WORDS.
If you are moving on, why are you worried about preventing this from happening in the future?

Newman
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ethernal
I just finished my last paid stay at Marriott this past week
One fewer elite to compete with; take care!
Newman likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:58 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
One minute before midnight removes any doubt as to which date it refers to. If it said Midnight, some people might conclude it was one day and some might conclude it was the next day. 23:59 leaves no doubt. There should never be a 'midnight'
MSPeconomist and GrayAnderson like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
One fewer elite to compete with; take care!

+1000

Newman
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Vulcan
One minute before midnight removes any doubt as to which date it refers to. If it said Midnight, some people might conclude it was one day and some might conclude it was the next day. 23:59 leaves no doubt. There should never be a 'midnight'
Amtrak avoids midnight train times for this very reason, and I think airlines do the same.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Amtrak avoids midnight train times for this very reason, and I think airlines do the same.
It’s also why Daylight Saving Time begins and ends at 2am.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Vulcan
I understand why they don't say midnight, but my question was why the other OLTA shows a cancellation deadline approximately 18 hours a later, at 6 pm the next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.