Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Time for me to move on - charged a cancellation fee after being told I wouldn't

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time for me to move on - charged a cancellation fee after being told I wouldn't

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
My reservations and contracts are booked through Marriott. The hotels use a Marriott platform to manage room inventory, billing, and invoicing. I book my rooms through a central Marriott system. All of the hotel webpages are hosted on a standard Marriott page. From my perspective, my primary contract is with Marriott and not the hotel. The hotel is the channel that Marriott uses to fulfill its contract with me. Of course the hotel operates within a framework and has significant independence within that framework - they set the specifics of a cancellation policy for example. Perhaps that is not the actual legal construct of the hotel reservation, but that is what it feels like to me. If Marriott does not want to set that expectation, perhaps they should not set up their booking structure to make it seem that way.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I feel like this is the fundamental difference between Starwood and Marriott. With Starwood, corporate would have closed with the hotel to make sure this issue is resolved. With Marriott, you're probably right - I am forced to go through the hotel. Marriott takes no ownership of protecting the guest. But of course, I can't even contact the hotel via e-mail anymore. So I guess let me call and have no audit trail of our discussion and just hope they do the right thing.

I am not okay with that, especially when Marriott is the one who told me that I would not be charged a cancellation fee. In my eyes, the hotel didn't do anything wrong. Marriott is at fault here, and they should fix the mess that they created.
Hey ethernal, consider using a smartphone with a voice recorder app set up and activate it before your call. After a bad experience where my only recourse was to provide information discussed over a call, I am thinking I should do this everytime I call any type of customer care. A pain, to be sure (because then you have to manage large storage files by offloading them somewhere, etc), but companies are now doing slimeball things, in my opinion, such as removing the ability to contact with an electronic trail.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AbyssalLoris
Hey ethernal, consider using a smartphone with a voice recorder app set up and activate it before your call.
In many states (including California) it is unlawful to record a conversation without the other party's consent.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
In many states (including California) it is unlawful to record a conversation without the other party's consent.
Yeah, that one is bothersome. Perhaps during your dispute or whatever, you'd have to say you can't provide proof because it is unlawful to do so . Is it unlawful to make a recording or only if you end up using it in some particular capacities? Or maybe when you dial customer service, before you say anything else you go.. "this call may be recorded for quality, training, and legal purposes".
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by supatight80
Starwood had a very specific time and date on when a flexible reservation becomes non-refundable.

So if the cancellation policy was cancel before 3:00 PM on April 14, 2019 to avoid penalties, then it means exactly just that.

Not some ambiguous BS we have right now where even employees of Marriott have no clue what the cancellation policy is.

And actually SPG had a very customer/guest focused environment in their call centres than what we have now.
That is absolutely false. Marriott is the only major chain that does not clearly state the time of day by which a reservation must be canceled to avoid charge.
I wasn't very clear about what I wrote. I was not referring to cancelation deadlines. Without question, there's no excuse for a company not crystal clear in the exact date and time of day.

Instead, I was referring to the how policy overrides happen. If your asking for anything that will cost an individual hotel money, it's best to call the hotel directly. Calling a frequent guest program desk or central reservations simply puts an additional person between you and the person making the decision. In most cases, that's not beneficial.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
It is not as simple as that. For instance, Marriott Call Centers can record you in California because the call is not considered confidential.

The law has been tested at least a couple of time - Young V Hilton Worldwide and Kight v Cashcall - both times the Court of Appeals ruled Hilton and Cashcall could record the calls in California without consent, as one does not have a reasonable expectation of the call not being recorded.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
delete - OT
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by santydrak
I asked once on Twitter and this was their answer:

Hello, thanks for reaching out. We just had a look at we found the cancellation policy. This says that you may cancel your reservation for no charge until January 13, 2019 . More specifically at 00.01 AM hotel time on January 13th.
In a sense, I appreciate this. Unfortunately, (1) they don't say this anywhere in the reservation as such and (2) as shown by the sampling in one of the previous posts, if anything Marriott is going against what seems to qualify as standard practice with how they handle this (everybody else indicates a specific point in time, either explicitly or relative to check-in from which one can clearly derive the explicit time). If that is their interpretation, we're back to the fact that Marriott is arguably encouraging a mistake on the part of a consumer (particularly if someone is making a reservation around the time of the penalty kicking in).
ethernal likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
In a sense, I appreciate this. Unfortunately, (1) they don't say this anywhere in the reservation as such and (2) as shown by the sampling in one of the previous posts, if anything Marriott is going against what seems to qualify as standard practice with how they handle this (everybody else indicates a specific point in time, either explicitly or relative to check-in from which one can clearly derive the explicit time). If that is their interpretation, we're back to the fact that Marriott is arguably encouraging a mistake on the part of a consumer (particularly if someone is making a reservation around the time of the penalty kicking in).
If this is indeed the policy (which I doubt it is given that everyone has had different experiences on this as you noted...) - then Marriott absolutely must change the language of reservations to say "You may cancel your policy for no charge before April 8th, 2019." rather than "until". Until is an inherently ambiguous word that, in varying contexts, may be inclusive or exclusive of the date in question.
ohmark, AbyssalLoris and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by ethernal
If this is indeed the policy (which I doubt it is given that everyone has had different experiences on this as you noted...) - then Marriott absolutely must change the language of reservations to say "You may cancel your policy for no charge before April 8th, 2019." rather than "until". Until is an inherently ambiguous word that, in varying contexts, may be inclusive or exclusive of the date in question.
That's definitely not the policy. I've cancelled quite a few Marriott reservations on the day listed as the cancel deadline without penalty. The ambiguity is what time that day must the cancel be made by.

I've no doubt Marriott's ambiguity is deliberate and intended to deter cancellations.
UA-NYC, KRSW, MSPeconomist and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
You don't have the app on your phone? Please, come join the 21st century
There are a surprising number of apps I don't have (partly because of a few instances of botched implementation), but the app also doesn't tend to generate screenshots (or, as far as I can tell, have any functionality that I can't just get via the website).
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:14 pm

There are a surprising number of apps I don't have (partly because of a few instances of botched implementation), but the app also doesn't tend to generate screenshots (or, as far as I can tell, have any functionality that I can't just get via the website).
The app holds your reservations. The reservations, as held on the app, show the cancel policy. With Hilton and Hyatt, this includes the specific time of day you must cancel by. With Marriott, it does not.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:41 pm

The app holds your reservations. The reservations, as held on the app, show the cancel policy. With Hilton and Hyatt, this includes the specific time of day you must cancel by. With Marriott, it does not.
Yes, and the issue is that if we're worried about properties pulling shenanigans, does the app keep the reservation locked to the original T&C? Or does a property-initiated change to those T&C get slipped into the app? Because if it is the latter, the app doesn't fix the problem...and given that Marriott is arguably at least passively complicit in this nonsense, I'm inclined to suspect that the app will reflect an involuntary change of that nature.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Yes, and the issue is that if we're worried about properties pulling shenanigans, does the app keep the reservation locked to the original T&C? Or does a property-initiated change to those T&C get slipped into the app? Because if it is the latter, the app doesn't fix the problem...and given that Marriott is arguably at least passively complicit in this nonsense, I'm inclined to suspect that the app will reflect an involuntary change of that nature.
As noted several times on FT, if properties change the terms of the cancel policy then the new/updated policy will also reflect on the app. That is why having the email is paramount. Or we can continue doing what we did last year with our marriott account...which is screenshot everything and just shows once again our level of trust with this...
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:40 pm

Yes, thank you for (I'm sure inadvertently) confirming my original point, which is that Marriott is alone among the major chains in failing to provide a specific cancel time. Hilton, like Hyatt, provides this information (specific cancel deadline) both at booking and on their apps. If you don't trust Hilton or Hyatt not to change the cancel deadline, I would certainly encourage you to screenshot that information. With Marriott there's a more fundamental problem, since they don't even tell you what the cancel deadline is.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:08 am

It wasn't inadvertent, but Marriott seems far more willing to tolerate these sorts of shenanigans than do the others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.