Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Time for me to move on - charged a cancellation fee after being told I wouldn't

Time for me to move on - charged a cancellation fee after being told I wouldn't

Old Apr 18, 19, 7:44 am
  #91  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CEB - primary/YVR -secondary
Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Posts: 1,866
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
It wasn't inadvertent, but Marriott seems far more willing to tolerate these sorts of shenanigans than do the others.
Is Marriott tolerating? Or are they initiating?

If you look at Marriott properties on OTA websites like booking.com, expedia, etc. They have a specific time when MR properties booked on a flex rate becomes non-refundable. So why do OTAs have very clear cancellation policies of Marriott properties but Marriott itself don't?

Take for example Westin Berlin. It is very clear what the cancel policy is on OTAs. Cant Marriott be like this? or maybe It is because their system is inferior compared to SPG?


Last edited by supatight80; Apr 18, 19 at 7:58 am
supatight80 is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 10:23 am
  #92  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Posts: 2,145
I would say they are tolerating properties changing their policies. They are initiating the obfuscation of cancellation policies.

And to the previous poster who said I should get with the 21st century? I'd rather take the century out and beat it to a bloody pulp. It sucks.
GrayAnderson is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 11:15 am
  #93  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,080
Originally Posted by supatight80 View Post
Is Marriott tolerating? Or are they initiating?

If you look at Marriott properties on OTA websites like booking.com, expedia, etc. They have a specific time when MR properties booked on a flex rate becomes non-refundable. So why do OTAs have very clear cancellation policies of Marriott properties but Marriott itself don't?

Take for example Westin Berlin. It is very clear what the cancel policy is on OTAs. Cant Marriott be like this? or maybe It is because their system is inferior compared to SPG?

Why is the cancellation deadline one minute before midnight for the first example and 6 pm (eighteen hours later) in the second example?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 11:27 am
  #94  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 2,755
As an update - I received a very brief email late last night from my Ambassador telling me that the charge would be reversed. So, there's the good news - and I'll take it.

That said, the whole experience has left a sour taste in my mouth. Even after all of this (and after having to escalate after first being told "no"), there was no apology for it occurring, clarification of the actual cancellation policy, or an explanation of why it happened.

So while I ultimately got the cancellation fee waived, I still don't know how to prevent this happening in the future (short of always calling the hotel rather than reservations and making sure I have a call recorder on in compliance with whatever local laws there are... ).
ethernal is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 12:01 pm
  #95  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CEB - primary/YVR -secondary
Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Posts: 1,866
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Why is the cancellation deadline one minute before midnight for the first example and 6 pm (eighteen hours later) in the second example?
Different cancellation policy rules agreed upon between the property and the OTA. Having said that if OTAs can do it, why not MR?
supatight80 is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 12:04 pm
  #96  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,299
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Why is the cancellation deadline one minute before midnight for the first example and 6 pm (eighteen hours later) in the second example?
so the BRG team can decline a match since itís different. Just got one declined for this very reason, same cancellation date but different hours
myperks is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 12:18 pm
  #97  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,080
Originally Posted by myperks View Post


so the BRG team can decline a match since itís different. Just got one declined for this very reason, same cancellation date but different hours
Then the BRG team knows and can verify the exact cancellation time. What did they say it should be for reservations made on the Starriott website? One minute before midnight the previous day, one minute before midnight on the date given, check in time, noon, 4 pm, 6 pm, etc.? And what time was the deadline for the OLTA?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 12:28 pm
  #98  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,299
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Then the BRG team knows and can verify the exact cancellation time. What did they say it should be for reservations made on the Starriott website? One minute before midnight the previous day, one minute before midnight on the date given, check in time, noon, 4 pm, 6 pm, etc.? And what time was the deadline for the OLTA?
my assumption is because of the hours as the reply email did not specifically state to that effect. Marriott was 1 day before and booking dot com was 4pm one day before, which was only difference (other than the rate) that I can tell. Although I thought they would have just declined on the basis that I didnít book the lowest rate which would have been a prepaid.
myperks is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 1:37 pm
  #99  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC - upper West Side
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 638
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post

......So while I ultimately got the cancellation fee waived, I still don't know how to prevent this happening in the future (short of always calling the hotel rather than reservations and making sure I have a call recorder on in compliance with whatever local laws there are... ).
Happening in the future? Are you kidding?
You stated in your original post AND the title of this thread that it is time for you to move on. YOUR WORDS.
If you are moving on, why are you worried about preventing this from happening in the future?

Newman
bhrubin likes this.
Newman is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 1:59 pm
  #100  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SNA
Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR, Covid-19
Posts: 4,237
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
I just finished my last paid stay at Marriott this past week
One fewer elite to compete with; take care!
Newman likes this.
kennycrudup is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 4:58 pm
  #101  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Homosassa, FL & Wanaque, NJ -UA-G; SPG-Plat (Lifetime Gold)
Posts: 6,112
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Why is the cancellation deadline one minute before midnight for the first example and 6 pm (eighteen hours later) in the second example?
One minute before midnight removes any doubt as to which date it refers to. If it said Midnight, some people might conclude it was one day and some might conclude it was the next day. 23:59 leaves no doubt. There should never be a 'midnight'
MSPeconomist and GrayAnderson like this.
Vulcan is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 5:33 pm
  #102  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC - upper West Side
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 638
Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
One fewer elite to compete with; take care!

+1000

Newman
Newman is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 6:53 pm
  #103  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Posts: 2,145
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
One minute before midnight removes any doubt as to which date it refers to. If it said Midnight, some people might conclude it was one day and some might conclude it was the next day. 23:59 leaves no doubt. There should never be a 'midnight'
Amtrak avoids midnight train times for this very reason, and I think airlines do the same.
GrayAnderson is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 8:35 pm
  #104  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: UA 1K - 1.5MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Spire, Bonvoy LT Titanium (Ambassador thru 1/20), Hyatt Glob
Posts: 690
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
Amtrak avoids midnight train times for this very reason, and I think airlines do the same.
Itís also why Daylight Saving Time begins and ends at 2am.
Magic Pickles is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 10:32 pm
  #105  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,080
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
One minute before midnight removes any doubt as to which date it refers to. If it said Midnight, some people might conclude it was one day and some might conclude it was the next day. 23:59 leaves no doubt. There should never be a 'midnight'
I understand why they don't say midnight, but my question was why the other OLTA shows a cancellation deadline approximately 18 hours a later, at 6 pm the next day.
MSPeconomist is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: